Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

doing own haire

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
has anyone ever given themselves a few highlights? and if so is it possible to kinda just put a couple in with the fingers?

Or cut their own hair?

I ask because i dont trust a hairdresser to do my hair so im thinking of doing it myself

Also does anyone know which highlighting stuff is any good (i dont want light blonde)

Comments

• Options
    i always colour my own hair. i've only had it done professionally twice, and both times it went wrong and looked awful.

i've done my own highlights a few times, and they looked fine, but a bit wonky. the at-home kits are great, but i'd suggest enlisting a friend to help, cause you need several hands. if you're planning to colour it and then highlight it, those l'oreal expert colours come out lovely. a little steep, at a tenner, but worth it, i'd say. if you're just planning to highlight, i'm a fan of the other l'oreal blonde range. still not dirt cheap, but a whole lot cheaper that a salon, comes out well, and is easy to use. i did cap highlights on my friend's hair with a home kit, and they came out so well, people kept asking where she'd had them done. but the caps are definitely an enlist friend job. you'll have difficulty doing it evenly on your own.

i've cut my hair myself a couple of times because of my morbid fear of hairdressers, but only the front layers. i wouldn't like to risk doing the back myself.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    i always colour my own hair. i've only had it done professionally twice, and both times it went wrong and looked awful.

i've done my own highlights a few times, and they looked fine, but a bit wonky. the at-home kits are great, but i'd suggest enlisting a friend to help, cause you need several hands. if you're planning to colour it and then highlight it, those l'oreal expert colours come out lovely. a little steep, at a tenner, but worth it, i'd say. if you're just planning to highlight, i'm a fan of the other l'oreal blonde range. still not dirt cheap, but a whole lot cheaper that a salon, comes out well, and is easy to use. i did cap highlights on my friend's hair with a home kit, and they came out so well, people kept asking where she'd had them done. but the caps are definitely an enlist friend job. you'll have difficulty doing it evenly on your own.

i've cut my hair myself a couple of times because of my morbid fear of hairdressers, but only the front layers. i wouldn't like to risk doing the back myself.

Yeh its only actually the front of my hair that i want doing (as in another thread i made) so i think i will try it myself.

I wanted to dye my hair dark brown (which ive done many times but it doesnt seem to last even if its permanent) and i only wanted a few blonde bits at the front. I want a die really that doesnt have to be used in 1 go as i will only need a tiny bit

I dont have any proper hair scissors but i will use the dog grooming scissors :)
  • Options
    if you are not going to use that much dye and want to save the rest then i suggest buying another bottle and mix some in that one and save the rest in the original bottles but do not mix them. like kaffrin said,get someone to help,as you will not be able to get the back well with the dye.i am a prime example,just dyed mine black today and i have a few brown spots,not really noticable but still needs to be fixed. i have cut friends hair and they have cut mine but when i have cut my own it has been just one little snip or so then that is it. you said it doesn't last long when you dye it,do you wash your hair right before,if so don't. do you keep using the conditioner they give as often as they say? when you dye it do you have hairspray/gel or anything in it?
  • Options
    Yeah ive done my own highlights a few times. Its ok, a bit tricky towards the back but just take your time, mine turned out fine!
  • Options
    im now in the process of doing it. Ive cut it and died it very dark brown just doing a strand test for the bleach :D
  • Options
    oh and before i go and apply the bleach does anyone know if its ok to use kitchen foil to seperate the strands? dont wanting it blending with the rest of my hair...
  • Options
    to answer my own question, yes you can use foil because i just did! its done and im pleased with the results but may add some more blonde later
  • Options
    yea tin foil is fine. think anything would be ok thou i wouldnt use clingfoil as i think the plasticness of it would make it go all funi+might react with dye :s