Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

root canal problems

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
this morning i had root canal treatment, it took around an hour and i had no pain with my teeth before i went

now the anaesthetic has worn off i am in extreme pain, i cant swallow my own spit, or close my jaw let alone eat or drink.

Ive had root canal treatment before and from my experience ive never been left with pain as severe as this

I was just wondering if its possible that anything could have gone wrong? During the procedure it seemed like the nurse was a trainee-this didnt give me much confidence but it may have nothing to do with it

Ive took pain killers but it hasnt even taken the edge off it and ive tried phoning the dentist but its closed. I feel like it should be looked at though..

Has anyone else ever been left with this much pain and what did u do?

Comments

• Options
    My mum got one done a bit ago and she said that it didn't hurt at all afterward but it only hurt before.

I would call your dentist and ask him about it. See if you could possibly get more meds.

Just take tylenol or find someone with loratabs or any pain killer til you can get in touch with the dentist.
  • Options
    either ring NHS direct, or find a number for the emergency dentist service in your area.

root canal treatment ain't nice, but you shouldn't be in agony. if nothing else, they can advise you on what to do until you can be seen by someone.

if you can't even swallow spit it's a bit of an emergency, cause you presumably won't be able to drink, and could dehydrate.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    either ring NHS direct, or find a number for the emergency dentist service in your area.

root canal treatment ain't nice, but you shouldn't be in agony. if nothing else, they can advise you on what to do until you can be seen by someone.

if you can't even swallow spit it's a bit of an emergency, cause you presumably won't be able to drink, and could dehydrate.

Thanks thats good advice. I took a few to many anadin extras and the pain has reduced somewhat so i am able to drink now. If its still painful tomorrow im going to get an emergency appointment :thumb: