Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

do hairdressers have ears?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
then why don't they chuffing use them?

if i ask not to have any short layers, it's because i don't want any short layers. why do they then proceed to give me short layers? twats.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

and then she put leave-in conditioner in my hair, called it a 'protein treatment' and charged me another £8 for the priviledge. i wouldn't mind if it had made any difference at all to my hair. but it hasn't. if anything, it looks a bit more damaged now.

argh.

Comments

• Options
    You should complain. :yes:

Sometimes they take it upon themselves to style your hair how they want, and 'cause they have the scissors they can often get away with doing what they want. She maybe thought it'd suit you.

At least you'll know not to go with her again.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lucifer devil
    At least you'll know not to go with her again.

damn right.

only reason i went there in the first place was because i was desperate. my graduation is tomorrow and my straighteners (stupidly) are at mr. kaff's parents house and i didn't want shit hair on my graduation photo. shallow, possibly, but my grandma will stick it on her wall for all to see, and if i had the afro i had earlier, i would be laughed at for all eternity. and then no one else had any spare appointments, and i thought it'd be safe if i just asked for a trim (and NOT to cut my layers any shorter than they were already, which was just past my chin) most of my hair was an inch past my shoulders.

and now i look like an extra from 'oh brother where art thou' :(

so yeah. please help my decide how best to deal with this. options are:

1. leave it, buy several hats and/or don't leave the house for 6 months.

2. cut it off just past my chin, to get rid of the horrific blunt cut bit, and long bits that just look daft now.

3. something other than this.

oh, and in case you think i'm overreacting, i know it doesn't look as bad as it could now, but that's cause it's been ghd'd within an inch of it's life. as soon as I wash it, it'll do that slightly curly thing, and straightener-less, i will look like a cross between a lion, and tina turner.
  • Options
    Yeah this really gets to me too!

If it was that they wanted to let their creativity run free, they should stick to doing this on people who go in asking for a consultation...it's so annoying when you have something specific in mind, try and explain it as clearly as possible to them, they say they understand...and then they just snip away like there's no tomorrow. Until I found my current stylist I used to go to the hairdressers as little as poss, because they'd always cut it far shorter than I wanted...and put layers in too (they seem to think because it's a fashion, every bugger wants it!).

Anyway, I empathise. Think most people feel this way about hairdressers, so you think they'd actually listen.

ETA: It grates the way they'll charge you extras for anything too...like your "protein treatment"...once I got charged for the pleasure of a "head massage" I didn't even feel happening..and certainly didn't request. Bizarre.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    This is exactly why I am scared to go to the hairdressers..... :nervous:

Kaff, are you trying to grow it longer? Because if not I think your suggestion of cutting it off past your chin is the most viable one. Could you go back and say you really aren't happy with it and get another hairdresser at the salon to cut it again for you?

PS. Its not as bad as you think it is....
  • Options
    Originally posted by LadyJade
    Kaff, are you trying to grow it longer? Because if not I think your suggestion of cutting it off past your chin is the most viable one.

i was growing it long, but it's not really a life or death type thing. i'd rather it look less silly. my mum's best mate is a hairdresser, and even though her usual market is middle aged to elderly ladies, she's sorted previous disasters out for me and they've looked fab. plus she doesn't charge that much. so i'm gonna see if i can wangle that. and while i'm there she can give me all the gossip about the people i went to school with. great stuff.

and it doesn't look that bad in the picture cause it's straightened. my hair is naturally wavy. as soon as i wash it, those 4 inch layers will be standing on end. medusatastic.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    as soon as i wash it, those 4 inch layers will be standing on end. medusatastic.

I get the Farrah Fawcett flick going on, and it is so not my favorite look. Layers and me just don't get along either.

But I'm glad you can get it sorted, you don't want to cringe every time you go to your gran's. :no:
  • Options
    For what it's worth, I think your hair looks nice. :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin

and it doesn't look that bad in the picture cause it's straightened. my hair is naturally wavy. as soon as i wash it, those 4 inch layers will be standing on end. medusatastic.

Why not flick it out at the end? :confused:
    Hairdressers get on my nerves, they think they can do anythin to your hair cos they've got the scissors!:mad:
  • Options
    That's kinda similar to what they did to my hair last time I had it cut. Went to Toni & Guy and specifically asked the guy not for one of their typical cuts with all the short layers..and guess what I got! I even told him not to when he started cutting short bits but he just did it anyway. I mean it's not too bad, like the backs not all blunt cut or anything, in fact it's quite nice at the back, but the short bits are annoying.

I never straighten my hair, it's naturally straight anyway and I prefer it all messed up than straight down against my face. But I can imagine if you've got naturally wavy hair, the short bits will literally stick out. If I were you i'd roughly straighten the top bits just enough so they lay flat then kinda rough up the rest of it so that it doesn't look like straight layers. It looks nice but I think the bottom layer is cut a bit too blunt if you know what I mean? Maybe you could get someone to chop that up a bit?
  • Options
    Originally posted by lucifer devil
    For what it's worth, I think your hair looks nice. :)

Me too! :)
  • Options
    Oh my god, I'd go fuckin nuts if a hairdresser did that to my hair!!

Go back and complain and ask for your money back.

I haven't had my hair cut for about a year, because I'm scared I'll lose the length - it's the longest it's ever been in my life therefore - no scissors are coming near me!

I want layers put in though, to make it a bit more manageable, but I'm not so sure now! :eek:

Ilora x
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pink Soda
    But I can imagine if you've got naturally wavy hair, the short bits will literally stick out.

yes. such as this:

(fear not, i'm not actually going out like this. this is just the natural state.)
  • Options
    wait for it, the back's better:
  • Options
    Very sexy. :D
  • Options
    ooh, you dont look like i thought you would!

anyways...i HATE my short layers. Too long now to do anything with, too short to look good. Rarr! I have naturally wavey hair like yours too, and the only reason i got the short layers cut in was cos i have GHDs. God bless my GHDs. But im now sick to death of GHDing my hair every bloody day! Rarr

anyways...this was no help...basically, i feel you pain :(

ps...you could try washing it every second day...a bit of oil will help it to be less annoying. good luck!
  • Options
    I have annoying wavey hair like yours. What you could do is get some moose and wet look gel and kinda scruch curl it with your hands. Your waves are nicer than mine...mine tends to atemped ringlets but fail badly. But when I do the scrunch curl thing it looks really nice.
  • Options
    oh deary - they even left the bluntness. tut tut.
    i agree with the others - go and complain, at the salon where i used to work it was 5 complaints and you're fired
  • Options
    I think it looks nice (maybe because it's pretty much the same as mine...) but I agree about the bluntness... would look better more feathery.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zella
    mine tends to atemped ringlets but fail badly. But when I do the scrunch curl thing it looks really nice.
    That's exactly like my hair. But 45 minutes with a very hot hairdryer and straightners and it's pretty much straight.

Although I can't tell properly because I can't see your hair from the front I think it actually looks really cool with the waves.
    But if you don't like it you really should go back and complain, you have the right and they'll at least have to fix it for free.
  • Options
    Most hairdressers do exacly what they want to do

I really agree with this thread. I've got very fine thin hair which I was trying to grow into a bob, but every hairdresser thins it out, when I specifically ask them to leave it blunt, in a bob, and I ask for long , blunt layers, and they don't listen and cut short texturised layers ,so it looks like the old feather cut from the 70.s , with the hair left long at the back like a mullet!And I pay up for these rubbish cuts! My hair looked such a mess, I've just been to a guy who has been in business for 40 years, and he's cut it to ear level, and advised me to grow the layers, so for the first time it actually has some shape as before it looked like 2 haircuts in 1!He actually LISTENED!!!!!!!
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    :wave: janebloggs,

Welcome to TheSite.org.

Just to let you know it's good to check dates on threads before replying - this one was started back in 2004 so I'm going to close it now.

Feel free to start a new conversation about this topic.

Happy posting. :)
This discussion has been closed.