Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Fear of the Plane.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What do doctors prescribe to calm people down on planes?

Comments

• Options
    most travel sickness pills have a slightly sedative effect.

if you're actually shitting-your-pants terrified, they might prescribe you something like valium or beta-blockers, but most doctors are quite reluctant to do this in case you have a bad reaction on the plane and they can't get you any medical attention.
  • Options
    I think your more likely to be told just to deal with it these days.

Most GP's are loath to give out Benzo's anymore. But if they do you'll either get a low dose of temazepan or diazepan (valium).

The latter is the nicer drug, the first one makes you feel shite.
  • Options
    They gave me something before a few years back now, I suppose it would be helpful to remember the name of it but I can't. I remember it didn't make any difference at all and I was just as bad as when I'd been on a plane without it. I assume that whatever it was, it was week. I'd happily get drunk out of my head, but I can't see it ending well mid-flight. Looks like I'd have to talk to my GP, even though I think I'd have difficulty persuading him to give me something stronger than last time.
  • Options
    First of all if you do get anything from the doctor do NOT drink alcohol at all with it.

Secondly do not try and drink to remove your nerves, I've drunk heavily on a long haul flight before and it was ugly, I managed to get about 1 hours sleep and woke up with the worst hang over I ever have had.

Then they served us breakfast of those rubber omlets and I was very nearly sick.

Grim.
  • Options
    There's nothing to really fear. Flying is safe. Did you see that programme with Jeremy Clarkson the other day (Inventions That Changed The World), where he recalled the fact that there hasn't been a plane crash in the Uk in over a decade.
    Planes are safe compared to other forms of transport. It's just that when they do crash, they do so spectacularly, often killing a hundred or more people in a spectacular fireball.

I think it's because people percieve flying through the air in several tons of aircraft at 500 mph at 30,000 feet to be dangerous. And people percieve that because it's something we only do occasionally, and it's unfamiliar to us (ie more unfamiliar than using a car or bus), that it must somehow be more dangerous.

Personally, I like flying (as long as it's no more than about 2-3 hours, any more is a chore). It's funny watching the nervous people. A sort of entertainment. :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Then they served us breakfast of those rubber omlets and I was very nearly sick.

:yuck: Plane food! Hope you get what u need capacity!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    plane crash
    killing
    fireball

I think it's words like that that are making him afraid. He's asking for help, not to be reminded of the dangers!
  • Options
    Haha. It's ok, mind you the sentence which stood out the most was "It's just that when they do crash, they do so spectacularly". Such a way with words.

It's at the point where I'm not even going on holiday for myself but for other people. I don't want to go on holiday and the idea of a plane seems to have taken the fun away from it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jazza Bing
    I think it's words like that that are making him afraid. He's asking for help, not to be reminded of the dangers!
    Ok then, about 5,500 people die on the roads in the UK every year. But nobody thinks twice before getting in a car, or taking the bus, or cycling to work. Now he'll never get in a car ever again, right? :D
    Put it into perspective.
  • Options
    There's nothing to really fear. Flying is safe. Did you see that programme with Jeremy Clarkson the other day (Inventions That Changed The World), where he recalled the fact that there hasn't been a plane crash in the Uk in over a decade.
    Planes are safe compared to other forms of transport. It's just that when they do crash, they do so spectacularly, often killing a hundred or more people in a spectacular fireball.

I read somewhere if you drove the same amount of miles as you did fly, then you're 10 times more likely to die in a plane crash. But don't quote me :p

Capacity: you may want to try a hypnotherapist, doesn't always work but hey what's the worst that could happen? I see planes as wonderful things, I just wish there was an observation deck or something :( because the windows are terribly small and they're terribly cramped.

Note to self: fly 1st class one day
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    if you drove the same amount of miles as you did fly, then you're 10 times more likely to die in a plane crash.

the windows are terribly small and they're terribly cramped.
    And I'm sure that's going to help him too! :lol:
  • Options
    Flying is safe.

Indeed.

It's hitting the ground which kills you :D
    Originally posted by ShyBoy etc
    I read somewhere if you drove the same amount of miles as you did fly, then you're 10 times more likely to die in a plane crash. But don't quote me

I think it's the other way around.

If you drove ten thousand miles, or flew ten thousand miles (for example) your chances of dying in the car are ten times higher than in the aeroplane.
  • Options
    I think thats what they meant.

I was on a flight to Spain once and the bloke next to a mate and me was looking scared. So we ended up having this load conversation about crashing, and the way that the plane would split up on landing.

He looked like he was going to have a heart attack.

Evil, yet funny at the same time.
  • Options
    Originally posted by *TiNK*
    :yuck: Plane food! Hope you get what u need capacity!

god...its the SMELL of plane food that makes me gag! Early morning is the worst...rubber cooked mushrooms :yuck: