Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Mental Health

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
* Warning : Long post *

You see and hear about all these mental health adverts, which is why i decided i would post this.

I used to be a happy go lucky type of person though i extremely lacked in confidence and self belief. You could say that literally being in the middle of my parents divorce/arguements etc when i was about 8, and the fact i was bulied until 3rd/4th year in highs school has probably left me how i am today.

As i said i use to be happy-go-lucky, was happy where i was in life and what i was doing. Then i left school and the big bad world became reality, they never warned us it would be like this. I eventually got a job and through that built my confidence, though a falling out with my 2nd manager knocked the confidence back out of me and i had to re-build the lost confidence, which i did, but gradually i starteed to lose it again, still am, im very hard on myself, i lack in confidence and self belief, i spose you could say i sort of live in my own little world. The place i worked in was shut down, and i transfered to another part of the company, but i realise that i cannot handle it, and im not cut out for this type of work, and this leads me to my whole point, I think if i dont kick my arse into gear i am going to crack up, but it doesnt help that i feel i cant talk to anyone because they never listen, not really to what im saying, especially my mum, i know shes trying now but its not enough. Im sick of everything, and im sick of myself, because i feel stupid, and i really dont know what i want anymore. One thjing im 50% sure of is that i need to leave this company i work for and stop doing the type of work i do and try something else and start to be the happy-go-lucky richard i used to be. I never let ppl know my true feelings for fear of being laughed at, and being rejected. I find it extremly hard to open up, even to my parents. I dont have that one special friend that i can turn to for advice, a shoulder to lean on.

I wish i knew how to build my confidence i really do :(

Im sorry this was so long, but i needed to get this out. I'll crack up if i dont change things. I wish life that simple i could just change thigns with a click of my fingers, unfortunatly its not.

Any advice would be appreciated, Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    Re: Mental Health
    Originally posted by Richeh
    Then i left school and the big bad world became reality, they never warned us it would be like this.

They warned us all the time! Don't you ever recall your parents, or teachers or anyone saying 'enjoy you're youth, it's hard being grown up!' or words to that effect? My parents told me time and time again not to wish away my childhood and teenage years because compared to life now, that was piss easy.

As for your situation, you need to get out there and do something for yourself. Start with your job. Take some positive steps towards getting a job that you find more stimulating and more interesting.

As for having someone to lean on, that is important but what is more important is being able to depend on yourself to make the right decisions for your own happiness.

I'm sorry I can't be of more use, I too lacked self confidence until I started my current job, which has really forced me out of my shell. I wouldn't even ring for pizza I was so shy about talking to other people!
  • Options
    Re: Mental Health
    Im sorry this was so long

Oh, and also, you mustn't apologise for asking for help. Asking for advice is the first step (hopefully) towards helping yourself! It does sound to me like your job situation could do with a boost.

Would you mind me asking what it is you do for a living and what you would perhaps like to do?
  • Options
    Re: Re: Mental Health
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    Oh, and also, you mustn't apologise for asking for help. Asking for advice is the first step (hopefully) towards helping yourself! It does sound to me like your job situation could do with a boost.

Would you mind me asking what it is you do for a living and what you would perhaps like to do?

No i dont mind, Im sales assistant/advisor.

And you know i realised something about myself for the first time last night.

I was at the cinema, absolutly bursting for the loo and i wouldnt get up and go cause i was afraid to walk down those stairs and go, due to all the people around me, I realised i am afraid of big groups of people, sorta, im better either one on one or in small groups.

heh
  • Options
    jobs

hi
    It sounds to me like you definately need a career change! There is no point doing a job that is making you so unhappy. Having said that, I wouldn't steam ahead and just quit as you will soon discover being unemployed is even more depressing and you are not even getting paid for the stress! I would advise you to have a look around and see what interests you. Connexions has a good website that focuses in on different jobs, discussing what they involve and what training you need. It's aimed at 13-19 year olds but the information is still good. If you feel that you still need to talk to someone about feeling down then I've added a link for the Samaritans. Bumblebee is right don't feel bad asking for help that is what thesite is for. connexions samaritans
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Mental Health

I was at the cinema, absolutly bursting for the loo and i wouldnt get up and go cause i was afraid to walk down those stairs and go, due to all the people around me, I realised i am afraid of big groups of people, sorta, im better either one on one or in small groups.

I was always the same, still am. I always out off certain things like going to lectures when I was at uni, attending seminars, going on courses for work etc because I hate being the centre of attention when there are large crowds of people. I think a lot of people are like this, it isn't a weakness in you, it just means you don't like big crowds.
  • Options
    If your employer has a counsellor then I would suggest talking to them first.

If not, go to your GP and explain to them what you've explained to us.

Being scared of people is not good, and is something that often needs to be aired with a counsellor or therapist. Seeing a therapist has certainly not done me any harm.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Being scared of people is not good, and is something that often needs to be aired with a counsellor or therapist. Seeing a therapist has certainly not done me any harm.

Yeah true, if you just leave it for years and years you could end up too scared to even leave the house incase you walk into a social situation/crowded place

This is especially true if you went out of work became a full time bum or whatever you`d go completely out of routine and wouldn`t be around different people on a daily basis So you`d feel isolated ten times worse.
  • Options
    Hiya
    Check out this link - I see you're in Scotland and this is an organisation called Young Scot - on this page you can search for your nearest career guidance service. You could also think about volunteering - it's a brilliant way of trying something new and gaining confidence and skills. Check out our other website www.do-it.org.uk, where you can type in your postcode and what you're into and it will tell you about opportunities near to you.
    Hope this gives you a bit of inspiration!
    :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by spanner
    Hiya
    Check out this link - I see you're in Scotland and this is an organisation called Young Scot - on this page you can search for your nearest career guidance service. You could also think about volunteering - it's a brilliant way of trying something new and gaining confidence and skills. Check out our other website www.do-it.org.uk, where you can type in your postcode and what you're into and it will tell you about opportunities near to you.
    Hope this gives you a bit of inspiration!

Thank you :)
  • Options
    i spoke to someone today on the phone and ive told them i have decided to take redundancy and leave the company i work for, and explained why.

I feel somewhat happier even tho i have one more day to workfor them and then im unemployed.

also, Im not scared of people, i wouldnt go that far i'd say it was something similar to not liking big groups of people, but rather one to one or in small groups, but again i stress that its me and my personal feelings, and because im shy and hold back, that i think im that way.

heh i dunno what else to say right now.

P.S. i know this could possibly have gone in work etc but i felt it was more to do with me feeling like i was cracking up
  • Options
    Good for you - very positive decision, now it's up to you to change what else is wrong. I do seriously suggest volunteering if you're out of work for a while - you'll get new skills, pep up your CV and meet new people.
    God, I sound like an advert for it, don't I?
    Good luck and let us know what you decide.
  • Options
    Will do spanner :)