Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Dreads

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone here got dreads? i was thinkin bout getting my hair done. how and where did you get them done. lol getting stressed now. need to find somewhere decent in london where i know it wont go wrong. if you or your mates did them for you, what products did you use?

thanks

Comments

• Options
    do you only want dreads on a temp basis or long term? it totally depends on how long you want them. do you really want them done cause you could just do 'em yourself. let me know how you want em and i'll try to help you
  • Options
    I think an afro-carribean (however its spelt) place would be better because they know how to do it.
    But some of them places round my way wont do white peoples hair.
  • Options
    There's a place in Camden called Em and Bee's that do dreads, braids, extensions...

It's mainly afro-carribean, but they will do any type of hair - my mate had her hair braided there and they were really good...

Ilora x
  • Options
    remember that dreads are a commitment.the only real way to get rid of them is by shaving them all off
  • Options
    yeah i second that....total commitment is needed for "real" dreads....ive had two friends who had them, one of them had his for 4 years....and it killed him when it came to shaving them off...no other way....so....be commited!

Peace
  • Options
    actually there is the possibility of combing them out. mind you it would hurt like a bitch but i do know a few people who have done that. you can at least cut them short and then do that. then you just have really short hair. my stepmom (who has dreads down to her knees) would NOT be able to do that. oww!
  • Options
    Dreads look terrible. Sorry to say but they make people look like soap dodgers.
  • Options
    get fake dreads. hire a friend and you can braid them in in a couple of hours. and if you get good quality dreads, they'll really last, and you can use them again and again.

and then you can take them out and have 'normal' hair whenever you want.
  • Options
    didnt know u could get fake dreads.
  • Options
    Originally posted by freak
    didnt know u could get fake dreads.

yeah, they're cool as all hell. i had pink ones a while back, and mod susie had fire-coloured ones.

fab link
  • Options
    Ah... fake dreads. Also Known As; Hair Falls!!

I love hair falls - I make my own :D

Ilora x
  • Options
    what do u make them out of?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Ilora-Danon
    Ah... fake dreads. Also Known As; Hair Falls!!

nah, mine weren't falls, they were actually braided into my hair.

more high maintenance, but they looked loads better.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Felix Da Housecat
    Dreads look terrible. Sorry to say but they make people look like soap dodgers.

i think dreads are awesome. if i had the self control to let my hair get longer i would totally go for it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by wickedXmad
    i think dreads are awesome.

:yes: absolutely, providing they are well-maintained.
  • Options
    i don't know man, sometimes those short little ratty ones are pretty hot. i do agree in most cases tho. i'm not a big fan of the *one dread* look where people just let it get into one huge mat on the back of thier head. blah