Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

tony blair Lied to us..... The sunday telegraph says so

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
or at least yahoo says they do.

However, according to the Sunday Telegraph, the original draft gave the opinion that Blair had personally masterminded this misleading impression, calling into question his good faith.

I wonder how long before there is a rash of resignations at the Sunday Telegrqaph as there has been everywhere else where they have mistakenly criticised our beloved government.

such stange bed fellows... the BBC, the Mirror, the Sunday Torygraph

Comments

• Options
    Howard was for the war when the Government decreed that there was a serious risk of life.

Now that risk has been shown to be manufactured, Howard is against the war on the terms of that risk. He is still for the war on the basis of human rights.

Kennedy was never for the war. the Lib Dems are calling for another inquiry because neitehr inquiry so far has actually inquired about anything. the real questioons have not been addressed, because the Government has set the questions and the parameters of them.

Oh, and the Sunday Telegrpah is owned by the Barclay Brothers, so I don't expect any resignations any time soon.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lukesh
    he was for the war iuntil now... when the Tories keep coming 3rd in the polls, it doesn't add up. I am not impressed with Howard these days.

he was against the lies but for the war. Read back over wehat he said after the Hutton "Report".

i don't see the point, jus more money and time being wasted.

Do you not want to know if lying and corruption goes to the very heart of Government?
    Do you not want to know the REAL reasons behind the war (even more complex than oil)?
    Do you not want Bliar to be brought o justice?

Oh, no, hang on. You don't. You thrive on the bollocks pushed by Sky News, you lap it all like a little lobotmised poodle.
  • Options
    you dont need the sunday telegraph to tell you that bliar is telling porkies.....i would like to have an entirely independent inquiry, that asks the tough questions, its almost like everyone is too afraid to actually say it, might lead to some more uncomfortable questions......i for one believe that power corrupts, full stop, all politicians are bent to a higher or lesser degree.
  • Options
    ok fair enough. lets also have inquries into the asylum system, crime, nhs etc

What has that got to do with the price of fish?

Please, elaborate. I'd like to know how your mind works.

If you think the war in Iraq was justified then you are not paying attention. Whichever reason you choose there is no justification, either because of lying or because of hypocrisy.

Geddit? Or are we back to the lobotomised poodle?
  • Options
    why do people keep bringing this up?
    cos we don't live in some third world hell hole. because we expect our leaders to have scrupels and be answerable to the public.
    but ...some it would seem don't seem to give a flying fuck if the leaders of the 'free' world lie and manipulate the facts and the fiction to suit themselves and send 'OUR' ...country off to war.
    is that realy the kind of poitical system you are happy to have?
  • Options

but... look now, Saddam has gone. the world will eventually benefit when in 10 years time, he wouldn't be frightening the world with WMD.

saddam would never have dreamed of attacking the west! it would have been totaly against any interests he had in being rich and powerful.
    he didn't even posess much of a conventional army when we invaded cos mr bush snr had destroyed all that and prevented it being rebuilt.
  • Options
    Since Bush and his Republican chums are clearly a danger to the planet, its people and its environment, should we all demand a full assault to remove them from power if they win in November?

Much as I'd love to see that evil repulsive bunch of bastards out of office for ever, surely there is such a thing as an unacceptable price to pay? There are as many grounds as imposing regime change in the USA as they were in Iraq.
  • Options
    No better than Saddam's IMO. At least when it regards to WMDs, danger to others and threats to world peace!
  • Options
    your an expert on him now are you?

I certainly wouldn't trust a word he says!
    it would simply not have been in his interests. any arab nation that unleashed WMD against the west would be wiped from the face of the earth.
    he was doing ok for himself trading with the west ...he was doing just fine for himself as our man against the mullahs ...re IRAN ...when we gave him everything and anything he asked of us ...
  • Options
    He just did one stupid thing and that was invade Kuwait
  • Options
    Well it was when he actually did it in the 1980s no one gave a shit when he gassed the Kurds
  • Options
    well they should of!
    but we gave him the gas to do it ...did you know that churchill wanted to gas the very same people? maybe hitler was on a mission of mercy ...
  • Options
    err strange man!

why would he have wanted to do that?
    why would saddam?
  • Options
    ok.

but what about the fact he was making life hell for the Iraqis? scared of him all of the time and the fact he murdered 1,000,000 people.

Here's something interesting that I was told the other week. Under a dictator such as Saddam, 90% of the population will be happy. Particularly if the coup that put the dictator in power was particularly bloody or long. The fear and hate eventually grows to love and soon they can't see how they ever lived without the dictator, or how they could ever survive without him. People vanishing without trace just becomes part of everyday life.

That has no relevance to this thread really but I just thought I'd put it out there. It's probably one of the reasons for the huge amount of resentment to the occupying forces (the occupying bit being part of the problem too.)
  • Options
    churchill
    you asked why would churchill ...i asked why would saddam.
    the point being ...our leaders don't seem to be that different than the ones we are taught to hate while omitting the truth about our own.
    but ...your going to defend OUR decision to gas those people but not saddams ...aren't you?
  • Options
    watch what you are syaing...

saddam killed his own people, I don't see Bush killing his people...
    No, Bush kills others. Just as bad. Score one point each.

Bush has WMDs and has threatened to use them in future conflicts. Score 1 for the mad Texan.

As you were saying, Bush continues to threaten other nations with war and destruction. Saddam had not threatened and more importantly he did not have the capability to realistically threaten or attack other nations for a number of years now. Score 1 for the mad Texan.

Saddam's government is guilty of appalling human right abuses including illegal imprisoment, unlawful killings and torture. And so is Bush's. Score 1 each.

Final score: Bush 4, Saddam 2. As you can see, there are more grounds for imposing regime change in the USA than they were in Iraq, by Bush and Blair's own logic.

War is almost never the answer. And it certainly wasn't in Iraq.