Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Please! Help me and my skin!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok as some of you might know from another thread i went on a low wheat diet.

This worked fine in every way apart from the effect it had on my facial skin. It came up really spotty so i came off the diet.

To get rid of the spots i tried a tip of blnde_bombshell of putting toothpaste on them overnight.

This seemed to make them shrink alot but now i think i have had some sort of reaction to the toothpaste :( the skin where my spots were is red, raw, dry, very tight and slightly peely.

This is not a good look

Someone tell me how to make it go away?

Comments

• Options
    Are you sure that you DIDN'T USE THE GEL?? if you apply the "gel" type one, it won't work at all.

I don't knwo why that's happened to you because I've used toothpaste many times on my spots and it looks fine the next morning. :chin:
  • Options
    no it wasnt gel stuff

I know my skin is sensitive, but maybe its more sensitive than i thought.

I thought about putting savlon on it or would that make it worse?
  • Options
    What's savlon??

Never heard of it before :confused:
  • Options
    ohh.. are u american?

I will try to find a link...

Basically its white cream in a tube. Its antiseptic skin healing cream
    On the back it says it gently soothes and helps prevent infection
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blah_x2
    ohh.. are u american?

:yes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blnde_BombShell
    :yes:

i see!

well i will put it on and see what happens cant get worse (i hope)
  • Options
    Oooooo!! Right- I don't use toothpaste admittedly. I think the reaction you've got is what I get a lot- the toothpaste has literally dried your skin out to a crisp- I get tweezers and if it come off easily, peel it off, add lots of moisturiser!. To get rid of other dry skin, buy an exfoliate- go to a clinique counter in boots or debenhams or a similar cosmetics counter and they could recommend the right sorta thing. I used to use germolene (it's like savlon) dried me out! I now use sablon- I find it works best at the beginning- to reduce redness,stop the spot progressing- it's dries it up and soaks up moisure. Once its on the mend, start using a non oily moisturiser to stop the flakyness happening cause it can be a sod to get rid of, and stop using savlon.

I started getting real bad spots all of a sudden, and incredibly dry skin. I work on cosmetics and fragrances counters in Debenhams, so I tried clarins night creme for very senstive skin- kept me spot clear for ages and added moisture balance to my skin- i was amazed at the results. They do testers- a lil tube lasted me a fortnight and its always worht a try xxxx
  • Options
    Savlon should basically bring the infection to the top of the skin. I find putting a little amount of vaseline on dry skin helps. I tried the toothpaste trick, didn't work for me though so i stick to tea tree products now.
  • Options
    Originally posted by malteser monkay
    Oooooo!! Right- I don't use toothpaste admittedly. I think the reaction you've got is what I get a lot- the toothpaste has literally dried your skin out to a crisp- I get tweezers and if it come off easily, peel it off, add lots of moisturiser!. To get rid of other dry skin, buy an exfoliate- go to a clinique counter in boots or debenhams or a similar cosmetics counter and they could recommend the right sorta thing. I used to use germolene (it's like savlon) dried me out! I now use sablon- I find it works best at the beginning- to reduce redness,stop the spot progressing- it's dries it up and soaks up moisure. Once its on the mend, start using a non oily moisturiser to stop the flakyness happening cause it can be a sod to get rid of, and stop using savlon.

I started getting real bad spots all of a sudden, and incredibly dry skin. I work on cosmetics and fragrances counters in Debenhams, so I tried clarins night creme for very senstive skin- kept me spot clear for ages and added moisture balance to my skin- i was amazed at the results. They do testers- a lil tube lasted me a fortnight and its always worht a try xxxx

Thanks. My spots have gone so thats not a problem. Im left with a very sore dry chin, which is bright red! Its too sensitive for moisturiser and scrubs so im just washing with water and putting lots of vaseline on it, so to top it off i have a bright red shiny chin. :thumb: i look good
  • Options
    Aww hun, hope your chin gets less red...fast :)

Glad to hear your spots have gone, but I'll just say this for future reference. I tried the toothpaste thing once a coupla years back and it really dried my skin and was generally unpleasant...yeah it kind of shrank the spots but it wasn't an ideal effect. I did find one product that had a similar effect to the toothpaste without drying, it was called Boots ACT Emergency Blemish Gel. You apply the gel twice (I think) daily to clean skin, it tingles a bit (how you know it's working) and it really does work. I used to put it on overnight though.

I'm sure other brands have similar products, just thought I'd pass on the info in case you need it again! Hope not! :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by briggi
    Aww hun, hope your chin gets less red...fast :)

Glad to hear your spots have gone, but I'll just say this for future reference. I tried the toothpaste thing once a coupla years back and it really dried my skin and was generally unpleasant...yeah it kind of shrank the spots but it wasn't an ideal effect. I did find one product that had a similar effect to the toothpaste without drying, it was called Boots ACT Emergency Blemish Gel. You apply the gel twice (I think) daily to clean skin, it tingles a bit (how you know it's working) and it really does work. I used to put it on overnight though.

I'm sure other brands have similar products, just thought I'd pass on the info in case you need it again! Hope not! :D

cool that stuff sounds good ,i dont really get hardly any spots i just had a bit of a breakout to do with diet changes, stress, hormones etc. But i will probably end up getting some of that and see if it works. Wont be trying the toothpaste again! My chin has started to wheep now, i hope im not left with scarring :( might have to get some vitamin E oil...
  • Options
    Ugh hormones eh!?

The stuff I mentioned did work, but hopefully you won't have to find out for yourself.

As for your chin, did you try using something like Savlon or Germolene (sp?) because it will probably soothe it and provide some kind of damage limitation....so you hopefully won't need to seek out Vitamin E oil. Something else that is often good if skin is very dry or problematic is Sudocreme (I know, it's baby's bum cream) or Zinc and Castor Oil cream which is Boots' own brand. I sound like a Granny recommending all this stuff, but it's all just to keep in mind should you need it. If you haven't already I'd recommend not using the Vaseline anymore, it could just be an irritant. Keep it clean (as you already have been doing I think) and make-up/product-free. Sure it won't trouble ya too much longer!! :D
  • Options
    ohh.. are u american?

I will try to find a link...

Basically its white cream in a tube. Its antiseptic skin healing cream
    On the back it says it gently soothes and helps prevent infection

You can get it in a spray too. :yes:
  • Options
    If all else fails use a pharmacist cream called "Daktacort" this is a stronger cream that heals dry skin and its mainly used for excema, dermatitis amd serisis (sp).

Hope your ok soon
  • Options
    Originally posted by lucifer devil
    You can get it in a spray too. :yes:

how randomly cool :cool:

Thanks for all the help everyone
  • Options
    how randomly cool :cool:

Yup!

Though I guess the spray would be harder to direct at a specific area. :chin:
  • Options
    Originally posted by lucifer devil
    Yup!

Though I guess the spray would be harder to direct at a specific area. :chin:

then it will be ideal for when this evil skin disease decides to spead all over my entire body :)
  • Options
    Witch Hazel to make take the redness of spots down and then Tea Tree oil to fight them. Use every day.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Felix Da Housecat
    Witch Hazel to make take the redness of spots down and then Tea Tree oil to fight them. Use every day.

u havent been reading :p spots are no longer the problem, if only they were!
  • Options
    Why not use some E45 cream :).
  • Options
    Originally posted by Felix Da Housecat
    Why not use some E45 cream :).

im allergic to that

Oh dear :lol:
  • Options
    then it will be ideal for when this evil skin disease decides to spead all over my entire body :)

I'm sure that won't be necessary. :)
  • Options
    Try Nappy rash cream, gentle enough for a baby, should be ok for you
  • Options
    this is a long shot, but have a look on your finger nails, there are small ridges yes? If you can see anywhere on them that looks like someone has pressed hard down with a ball point pen, it's almost definately psariasis (or however it's spelled, lol.). A little thing my doctor told me that is. Like I said, it's a long shot, but it's possible.
  • Options
    Originally posted by chaos_insomniac
    this is a long shot, but have a look on your finger nails, there are small ridges yes? If you can see anywhere on them that looks like someone has pressed hard down with a ball point pen, it's almost definately psariasis (or however it's spelled, lol.). A little thing my doctor told me that is. Like I said, it's a long shot, but it's possible.

it does...kinda :( i dunno what it is. Im thinking now maybe its a reaction to some chemicals we use at work, but its all starting to go now with the help of savlon and vaseline.
  • Options
    it does...kinda :( i dunno what it is. Im thinking now maybe its a reaction to some chemicals we use at work, but its all starting to go now with the help of savlon and vaseline.

Possibly. I don't think I have the pictures from when I had that skin condition I can't spell (:eek2:). But basically it spreads very quickly, almost nothing works on it, it's very red, the skin flakes constantly (and I mean constantly), and if you scratch it at all or touch it it gets a lot worse and you tend to get a little pus coming out, at least I think it was puss.

If it is I'm gonna say now I feel really sorry for you, it's a bastard to get rid of. Usually it's brought on by stress though, hense why I said it's a long shot.
  • Options
    Originally posted by chaos_insomniac
    Usually it's brought on by stress though, hense why I said it's a long shot.

Thats defo not a long shot then as ive had a hell of a lot of stress recently
    If it doesnt go i will go to the doctors but for now it has improved somewhat
  • Options
    Thats defo not a long shot then as ive had a hell of a lot of stress recently
    If it doesnt go i will go to the doctors but for now it has improved somewhat

The problem is, you may think it is improving, but it can get better or worse within hours. I would advise you go and see your doctor, as it's always better to be safe than sorry. :)