Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Wierd Episodes...!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Recently my parents have been at each others throats and I'm ending up in the middle trying to bring the anger down and point out how there is a compromise/easier way of settling their argument as appose to screaming at each other and throwing things etc...it's reminding me of when I was little and at like, 6 I was trying to the same sorta thing. I'm now 17 and I'm finding it a struggle as I'm sure they are. I'm getting headaches returning like I used to when everything gets stressed out, and I can't sleep. All my dreams seem to be about violence and rape. I used to get these dreams when I felt threatened by a violent ex of mine and they keep reoccuring now. All the screaming and shouting is really frightening me. My dad tears out into the kitchen, the other night smashed a plate starts pushing things around, even scared the little terrier staying with us. I never could cope with any violence or shouting, even when I was little and I don't know how to handle the scary feeling of deja vu. I feel constantly tired and persistent headaches are making it incredibly hard to work. Any suggestions? I take Ibuprofen for the head aches, pro plus to keep me awake and sometimes a herbal thing to get me to sleep. I know it's easy to get me down and so I'm concerned that I may slip back into my sadness tendencies or crying and feeling like I want to escape. Any help would be gratefully received.
Malt x :)

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    Right. First off stop taking pro plus. its better to eat a healthy diet to give you engery rather than poping a pro plus. They will be giving you head aches for a start, or at least contributing to them.
    Try and get your rents to save some time in the week just for them. Like a set day or something. My rents did that when they were going through a bad patch..and well it helped alot.
    I dont really know what else i can say.
    urm...hope things work out.
  • Options
    Hi there Malt,

I'm sorry to hear your having such a hard time of it at the moment, it's no real wonder you are stressed out. There are ways that you can learn to cope with the stress better though as laid out in our factsheet: coping with stress and once you manage to make it calmer it may be worth letting your parents know how much they are upsetting you and asking them to work out their problems between themselves. However if you feel this is impossible then, for your own sake, you should try and take a step backwards from it all, however hard that sounds. They are adults, afterall.

I'd agree about stopping taking the proplus, it's caffeine heavy and that will only exacerbate any headaches you get. I'd also agree that you should go see your GP for a chat about all of this, they are there to help, and as GWST said they can put you in touch with a counsellor.

Also, as much as it's probably the last thing you feel like doing, exercise (whether going for a 20 minute walk or kick boxing) can help to reduce your stress levels and help with your sleep patterns.

Other sources of help and advice:

Mind guide to dealing with stress

Careline
    Telephone counselling service for children, young people and adults on any issue, including relationships, depression, mental health, child abuse, bullying, rape and sexual assault, domestic violence, addictions, stress etc.
    Telephone: 020 8875 0500

Take care,

Susie x