Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Hypnotherapy

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Can a doctor send me to see a hypnotherapist ?

I think you normally have to see a hypnotherapist for about 6 times......would that be right ?
anyways i want to go and see one with a small problem (dont wanna get into detail about it though) so can my doc send me to see one on the NHS ?

Comments

• Options
    Technically yes. The NHS does have hypnotherapists registered with them but most practice privately as well. You would have to have a very sympathetic GP who took a personal interest in alternative therapies because it isn't general protocol to refer people to a hypnotherapist for their problems as generally more conventional methods are seen as 'better' both in terms of results that can be measured and also in terms of cost.

Some info

As I said though, most GPs haven't the time or patience for alternative therapies but try discussing it with them. :)
  • Options
    Thanks Simone, much appreciated :)
  • Options
    I can't imagine what sort of problem you want them to help with that you can't discuss. I thought it was going to be help with quitting smoking, or dieting, or something along those lines. Or are you being treated for the dissability of not being able to act like a chicken every time your name is mentioned?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    I can't imagine what sort of problem you want them to help with that you can't discuss.

Nah its just a problem I dont like :(
    and get a bit embarrased about........so thats all your getting :p