Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

whats the best conditioner?

my hair is dyed, gets greasy reasonably quickly ( I HAVE to wash it every other day or it looks manky)
I love the shine i get when i first dye my hair and use the lovely conditioner they put in with hair dyes. It makes it look fab but doesnt weigh it down too much. It smooths out the frizzy bits and split ends but doesnt make it look heavy and lank like with some conditioners.
Im looking for the perfect one. Id rather have cheap to mid range ones, especially since you never know if it will suit.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I have exactly the same problem. I use tony&guy conditioner, it gives a good shine, its the best one ive found yet.
  • Options
    try the aussie ones, either the one for coloured hair or the miracle moist one. much goodness and smell nice too
  • Options
    I thought that miracle moist might be a bit too moisturing for my hair, being that it gets greasy quickly. If I use the wrong conditioner its nice for the first day, but then i have to wash every day, which tbh Id rather not do. I know dove conditioner is like that. Nice and moisturising, but makes my hair greasy quickly.
    I might look up that Toni and Guy one. How much is it?
  • Options
    I'm using Timotei for dry and damaged at the mo, and I like. However, when I'm actually putting it on I tend to do it twice because the first time I rinse, it feels a bit squeaky and not very happy :confused: It makes my hair nice and soft though.
  • Options
    Make friends with a hairdresser and get them to get some professional stuff for you! Nothing from the normal shops is quite as good!
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    I might look up that Toni and Guy one. How much is it?

£2/£3 i think im unsure though, my mum buys it for me.
  • Options
    Originally posted by dominatrix
    I'm using Timotei for dry and damaged at the mo, and I like. However, when I'm actually putting it on I tend to do it twice because the first time I rinse, it feels a bit squeaky and not very happy :confused: It makes my hair nice and soft though.

When hair squeaks it is clean. Like when a plate has just been washed and you run your finger down it, it squeaks.
  • Options
    'All Soft' by Redken is a lovely conditioner. When you apply the conditioner, you want to put it on to towel dried hair and only run it through the lengths and ends. If you put too much on your scalp and at the roots, it makes your hair greasy. Maybe that's part of the problem you're having with conditioners?

If not, some people tend to have more oily scalps than others, so try something 'specially designed for greasy hair.
  • Options
    Re: whats the best conditioner?
    my hair is dyed, gets greasy reasonably quickly ( I HAVE to wash it every other day or it looks manky)
    I love the shine i get when i first dye my hair and use the lovely conditioner they put in with hair dyes. It makes it look fab but doesnt weigh it down too much. It smooths out the frizzy bits and split ends but doesnt make it look heavy and lank like with some conditioners.
    Im looking for the perfect one. Id rather have cheap to mid range ones, especially since you never know if it will suit.

i'm exactly the same and fresh from the hairdressers hair is the best my hair ever looks. never found a conditioner that does the same job.
  • Options
    The best conditioner I've found, is the double strength one you get in the hair dye I use - Loreal Castings. It comes as a bottle with a screw top on - so you can keep it. It's not a crappy sachet.

I often buy 2 hair dyes, just for the conditioner that comes with it - it's only £4 quid for the dye, so it's just like buying an expensive conditioner. I also water it down, so it lasts longer...

Ilora x
  • Options
    not sure about the best, im still searching myself, but steer clear of fructis and herbal essances if your hair gets greasy easily

I quite like pantenne. Btw if you leave normal conditioner on longer it will work more, just rinsing it straight out doesnt give it time to soak in and do good
  • Options
    oh and for shinier hair try rinsing your hair with a mixture of about 10 parts water to 1 part vinegar, and rinsing with cold water instead of hot/warm as cold water flattens down the hair shafts so it reflects light better and its also smoother
  • Options
    what type of hair dye do you use?try using a conditioner made by them,i use herbal essence,and it works great.as for the greasy bit,this is how you tell how often you need to wash your hair,wash it one night and if the next night it is oily then you need to wash everyday,whether you want to or not,that is if you want healthy hair.if it isn't oily by the next day then that means that your body doesn't restore its natural oils as quickly as other peoples do,and can be unhealthy to wash everyday,there is nothing you can do to stop your hair from getting oily besides washing it or putting baby powder in it,as far as i know,there is no type of shampoo/conditioner that will help it not get oily,and if there is it probably isn't healty for you,when your hair gets oily its your body's way of protecting you from lice and such things your can get,so using something to prevent it all together would probably make your hair dried out and stringy.hope helped,i know i went a bit off topic though
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blah_x2
    oh and for shinier hair try rinsing your hair with a mixture of about 10 parts water to 1 part vinegar, and rinsing with cold water instead of hot/warm as cold water flattens down the hair shafts so it reflects light better and its also smoother
    I used vinegar on my hair once...

I nearly died from the smell of it, 4 days later.... it still smelt.

Not recommended!!

But, if you rinse your hair with ice cold water after you've rinsed out conditioner... really adds shine...

Ilora x
  • Options
    Originally posted by Ilora-Danon
    I used vinegar on my hair once...

I nearly died from the smell of it, 4 days later.... it still smelt.

Not recommended!!

But, if you rinse your hair with ice cold water after you've rinsed out conditioner... really adds shine...

Ilora x

Thats really wierd because when i use it i cant smell it even when im rinsing let alone after! Maybe u wernt diluting it enough or maybe i just have wierd vinegar?!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Ilora-Danon
    See, everyone says this, but it's a bit like an old wives tale - It's not actually true. The key to giving you're hair a good shine is risning out all products thouroughly, and not leaving any residue.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Young and sexy
    See, everyone says this, but it's a bit like an old wives tale - It's not actually true. The key to giving you're hair a good shine is risning out all products thouroughly, and not leaving any residue.

tis true though. when i do it with cold water its shinier and i always wash all product out anyway
  • Options
    tis true though. when i do it with cold water its shinier and i always wash all product out anyway
    Butttt, thats the thing, you always wash the product out so that's what makes your hair shiney. But, because you've rinsed it with cold water, you think thats what's done it, when really, all it's done is frozen your brain. :p

I'd go into all the reasons why it doesnt actually work if I could remember...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Young and sexy
    Butttt, thats the thing, you always wash the product out so that's what makes your hair shiney. But, because you've rinsed it with cold water, you think thats what's done it, when really, all it's done is frozen your brain. :p

I'd go into all the reasons why it doesnt actually work if I could remember...

but if i rinse with warm water for the same amount of time it ends up less shiney, thats what im trying to say

so neh :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by *ash*n*nick*
    .as for the greasy bit,this is how you tell how often you need to wash your hair,wash it one night and if the next night it is oily then you need to wash everyday,whether you want to or not,that is if you want healthy hair.
    well I dont think thats strictly true, as it certainly varies depending on what shampoo i use. For instance when I have used Dove shampoo my hair was greasy the next day - if I use head and shoulders then I can get away with every other day. Ones that are too moisturising are a no-no for me. Im okay with ones that have silicone/dimethicone in them to add shine, but not if theyre adding shine by being too moisturising.
    Ilora, my favourite conditioner is the one out of recital hair dye, its lovely but i cant afford a box of hair dye just to buy conditioner. I bought the fructis sleek and shine the other day, and that seems to be quite nice. strong smell though.
  • Options
    but if i rinse with warm water for the same amount of time it ends up less shiney, thats what im trying to say

so neh :p
    Pffft, psychological, thats what it is. :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by draven
    When hair squeaks it is clean. Like when a plate has just been washed and you run your finger down it, it squeaks.

That doesn't mean it's good though; it used to be thought that hair should squeak and then they figured out that that was actually bad. I think it means it's been stripped of too much natural oil and stuff, though I'm not sure.
  • Options
    £2/£3 i think im unsure though, my mum buys it for me.
    My Toni & Guy conditioner and shampoos are £4.99 each, although they are definitely worth it.
  • Options
    The Bed Head prodcuts from Tigi are really good for keeping your hair soft and shiny without making it greasy.

They do ones for coloured hair but you can only get them from Salons. Usually about £6 a bottle I think...well worth it though
  • Options
    Im okay with ones that have silicone/dimethicone in them to add shine,
    ahhh tis bad really, instead of actually nourishing your hair, it just coats it with a layer of silicone so it appears shiny but it weighs the hair down muchly
  • Options
    I find the best conditioner is 'Air Conditioner
  • Options
    it was highlighted but ive recently dyed it brown with a home dye.