Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Evil GHD's!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I never thought I would call them evil but they so are! Been using straightners for about 6 months now and my hair hasn't grown since I had it cut in December because all it does is break off. I always use the iron oil in an effort to protect my hair and have cut down on how much I use them. Just wondering if anyone has any tips because I want my hair to grow again :(

Comments

• Options
    can you not blow-dry your hair straight instead?
    or just. not have it straight? if it's quite wavy, then towel dry it and add volumizing mousse to make your curls more defined. or add frizz-eaze... ah, there are plenty of products you can use, i'm sure.

straighteners are so so bad for your hair. at uni i used them almost every day, and my barnet just turned to crap. it lacked volume and looked flat and horrible.

i've given straightening up for the summer completely. it's all about the wavy beach look!
  • Options
    My hair tends to break off too, I use GHD's practically everyday. But, now I'm leaving it a couple of days between straightening.

My hair does not like being natural - it's frizzy as hell when blow dried, and even when dried naturally is completely uncontrolable.

I'm thinking of visiting Toni and Guy with my hair as a big frizz ball, so they can see what it's like and hopefully give me something to put on it when wet, so that it doesn't dry into a huuuge frizz ball. I've tried everything under the sun, so I doubt they'll be able to help.

I hate GHDs, but I can't live without them...:rolleyes: :mad:

Ilora x
  • Options
    use a shampoo and conditioner for heat damaged hair and get a leave in conditioner for dry hair. i use mine every day and am trying to grow my hair. i used to get it cut every 6 weeks but it never grew cos i straightened every day so when i got it cut it just cut of the dead ends! so i got it all chopped short and started again. i still use them every day but i always put on a leave in conditioner to the dry ends. i use tigi bed head ego boost leave in conditioner split end mender and the frizz ease miraculous recovery conditioning treatment, its one that you use once a week and leave on for 10 mins then rinse. ask your hairdresser what the best products are for your hair type
  • Options
    I use tony&guy's hair rescuer thing, for dry hair. It works really well, i iron my hair and using the t&g stuff keeps it shiney, thick and not all dry and horrible. Plus my hair has grown really quick.

Are GHD's that bad? Im getting some for my bday :(
  • Options
    i used to use ceramics every single day, now i hardly use them, maybe if im going out, just my hairs got more controllable and i do different things with it than having it down and poker straight everyday

a lot of guys dont like the poker straight look :yes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Char_Baby

a lot of guys dont like the poker straight look :yes:
    Chance would be a fine thing! Even with GHDs my hair won't go poker straight unless I get it done at the salon. My hair is so frizzy that I can only get it marginally straight by myself. :(
  • Options
    ive been using my ghds everyday for over a year and my hair grows soo quickly.

just use lots and lots of conditioner
  • Options
    I can't really do anything else with my hair than GHD it. :(

I know people will say 'yes, you can', but seriously. :(
  • Options
    So im guessin GHD's arent that bad then?
  • Options
    They're the best you can get and they're the best because they're so hot, so using them loads doesn't do that much justice to your hair. I used to use them everyday and they didn't do drastic damage to my hair (I used the GHD oil and stuff) but I like to just leave my hair with a bit of mousse now so I don't have to worry about going out in the rain and stuff!
  • Options
    Originally posted by *TiNK*
    So im guessin GHD's arent that bad then?
    GHD's damage your hair beyond belief...

Ilora x
  • Options
    Originally posted by Ilora-Danon
    GHD's damage your hair beyond belief...

Ilora x

As bad as an iron?
  • Options
    i use remington ceramics and they dont damage my hair much just a few split ends which i get snipped off every 6 weeks :)

heat protective spray?
  • Options
    As bad as an iron?
    No! Ironing your hair is awful.

Straightening your hair, despite what everyone says isn't that bad (provided you use a *quality shampoo and conditioner, decent heat protector spray, and ceramic straighteners.) As long as you look after your hair and use enough good products to keep it healthy, straightening isn't that damaging.

*It really is worth spending the extra money and buying something by Kerestase or Redken etc.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Young and sexy
    *It really is worth spending the extra money and buying something by Kerestase or Redken etc.
    dunno about kerestase but aussie is better than redken, and like a third of the price
  • Options
    Originally posted by paperBprincess
    dunno about kerestase but aussie is better than redken, and like a third of the price
    Hmm, yah, Aussie is good. But a couple of the Redken ones like 'All Soft' and 'Extreme' are fab.

I wasn't saying Kerestase and Redken are the only good ones btw, I just couldn't be bothered to list all the decent ones :(
  • Options
    Originally posted by Young and sexy
    No! Ironing your hair is awful.

Whoops! :blush: Ive been iorning my hair for months now, it seems ok though, ah well. Im getting GHD's for my bday anyway.
  • Options
    i have thermoceramic 1s.how do they compare??
  • Options
    Whoops! :blush: Ive been iorning my hair for months now, it seems ok though, ah well. Im getting GHD's for my bday anyway.

My step-dad's sisters used to iron their hair in the olden days!

Well, about 35 years ago.
  • Options
    Whoops! :blush: Ive been iorning my hair for months now, it seems ok though

im amazed:eek: u must have really resilliant hair!