Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Mothers in Prison

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Yes, i have been watching a lot of factual stuff on Telly...mainly last night.
anyways last night another programme was a womens prison and it showed the run up to Christmas.
It was quite sad to watch actually because they focused on a young mother in prison and she was in over Christmas. She didnt see her little un on christmas day and she's only allowed to see her Daughter once month.
Now yes she has done the crime she should do the time but to stop her daughter from seeing her mother for long periods is wrong i think. I think children should be able to see their mother more than once a month. It was awful to see the child visiting the mother and when the time came when she had to leave I actually had tears running down my face (Ye im a soft shite lol), but it was just emotional for me so what must the mother be feeling ?

This girl did a serious crime so yes she has to pay for what she did. But i think its wrong that the child suffers (who was 2 i beleive).

what could be changed in prisons so the children dont suffer as well ? should they be allowed more visits? how long do you think they should be llowed to visit for ? This girl im talking about had one 6hr visit a month and dont think thats adequate.

Comments

• Options
    I never watched that, but solng as what she did was nothing to do with hurting a child, then yes a child should see her mum more than that.
  • Options
    I always thought they had prisons for mothers, where the child stays in a instituiton during the day while the mother does her duties.
    Maybe it's just in my imagination.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    I always thought they had prisons for mothers, where the child stays in a instituiton during the day while the mother does her duties.
    Maybe it's just in my imagination.

Not here they dont. For babies I beleive they do have that type of place but this was a toddler aged 2 ish, so maybe things are different ? I dunno, I think its purely if you have a new baby they have that type of place (not sure like).
  • Options
    i asked my mum, who is a midwife about that. she says in some prisons they do allow mother and child to stay together for a while, partly because it is the childs right to be breastfed apparently. i dont think places exist where the child lives along side the mum, wouldnt be fair on them.

once a month seems terrible. my twin nieces live a few doors down, and when i go away for weekends i miss them terribly. so i cant imagine what its like to be only able to see your child once every four weeks. i found it very hard to have sympathy for her, but the child- thats who i felt bad for.
  • Options
    If the child has family, he or she stays there. If not, it's a home.

It's always a very hard thing to call. More petty crime should be dealt with through community sentencing, a point Lord Justice Woolf has been saying for years only be slaughtered by the gutter press for being a "crim's favourite judge".

However, for serious crime there really is no alternative to prison, and if the mother really gave that much of a shit for her child she wouldn't be in prison.

The main point is that, regardless of the merits of the tariff system, people know the penalties for their actions. The tariffs may be wrong, but if a mother in prison can't see her kid on Christmas Day then she has nobody to blame but herself.

The same applies to men who can't see children too, by the way.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    However, for serious crime there really is no alternative to prison, and if the mother really gave that much of a shit for her child she wouldn't be in prison.

The main point is that, regardless of the merits of the tariff system, people know the penalties for their actions. The tariffs may be wrong, but if a mother in prison can't see her kid on Christmas Day then she has nobody to blame but herself.

Yes, don't blame 'the system' blame the person who was fully aware of the consequences of their actions at the time. I have no sympathy for the mother but every sympathy for the child who was unfortunate enough to have such a parent.
  • Options
    It's her own fault. And because of her stupidity we're going to be witnessing the same sort of thing with her daughter in years to come.
    IF what she did was serious enough to get her put in prison then she doesn't deserve children
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    If the child has family, he or she stays there. If not, it's a home.

It's always a very hard thing to call. More petty crime should be dealt with through community sentencing, a point Lord Justice Woolf has been saying for years only be slaughtered by the gutter press for being a "crim's favourite judge".

The same applies to men who can't see children too, by the way.
    i know it doesn't happen often but this time i agree with kermit.
    we all have choices ...you pays ya money and takes ya chance as it were.
    the visiting rules have always been an arse. most jails allow 1/2 an hour a month ...bad for families.
  • Options
    what did she actually do?
  • Options
    Originally posted by twisted_trinity
    what did she actually do?
    lets see now ...could have told her child off to loud ...lit a fag in a public place ...played music to loudly ...not paid her council tax ...the usual kinda crimes that exist nowadays.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    lets see now ...could have told her child off to loud ...lit a fag in a public place ...played music to loudly ...not paid her council tax ...the usual kinda crimes that exist nowadays.

still in pain rolly?
  • Options
    If they actually sent a woman with a young child to prison then I reckon it would have been a serious offence, or she is a repeat offender.
    They don't send mothers to prison unless what they did was really bad, ie robbery, assault e.t.c.
  • Options
    still in pain rolly?
    agony!
  • Options
    agony!

poor thing! go smoke more weed
  • Options
    poor thing! go smoke more weed
    the drugs don't work anymore!
  • Options
    the drugs don't work anymore!

oh no........:( thats really bad............can you not go the chiropractors or something?
  • Options
    oh no........:( thats really bad............can you not go the chiropractors or something?
    my wifes going to call the doc in the morning.
    can hardly friggin move or breath.
    i can breath but if i need to tajke a deep one i have to lie on the floor ...mother fucking nature ...bitch has been kicking me aall weekl.
  • Options
    my wifes going to call the doc in the morning.
    can hardly friggin move or breath.
    i can breath but if i need to tajke a deep one i have to lie on the floor ...mother fucking nature ...bitch has been kicking me aall weekl.

well *hugs* and stuff, i hope you get better soon. i go to get my act together and get my hip sorted before i'm off to england on wednesday......these bones are right bitches....:mad:
  • Options
    Originally posted by J
    I blame the system. The system we come into when we are born. The things which happen to us alter our choices, they give us different persepctives on life, this can automaticaly lead us to make all kinds of mistakes without our choice. We have no choice from where I'm now standing.
    I went to prison, in my cell was someone who smoked canabis, I felt obliged to partake in a smoke one evening which led me to make another crime. Would I have commited this crime if I wasn't in the cell in the first place?
    And how can you presume that the person was fully aware of the consequences if they are unable to see the future? That's nonsense isn't it.
    The sentence comes after the crime, how do you know what the sentence will be before you commit the crime? You are judged by another person and this is a variable and comes after the point of commiting the cime.
    Did something cause you to make a bad choice which led to you commiting the crime, was it your fault? I doubt it. I think Jesus was onto something you know.
    theres a lot of truth in there J. especialy the sentencing.
    a poor person can be fined a few hundred quid ...a rich person gets the same fine. the poor person now struggles to find hundreds of pounds or face jail. the rich person writes out a check and is on his way.
    for the rich person he may have had to part with an hours wages ...the porr person is thrown into a situation where hundreds of extra ...mostly non existant quids have to be found.
    jail has hundreds of people in for not paying the tillerman ...not one of them is wealthy.
    so ...the poor are penalised far more ...facing hardship ...seperation from family and loss of job by being sent to jail ...not for the original crime but for being unable to cope with the original punishment. sent to jail for being poor!
  • Options
    hmmmm theres no proof a kid needs to see its mother asmuch as its father, so unless after birth when the kid would benefit from breast feeding and initial contact with parents, why the mother shuld be given more rights than men???
  • Options
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    hmmmm theres no proof a kid needs to see its mother asmuch as its father, so unless after birth when the kid would benefit from breast feeding and initial contact with parents, why the mother shuld be given more rights than men???
    the last place i'd want my kid is in jail but ...those facilities are sorely needed for those women who don't have family/husband etc where the kid can be placed.
    punishing the kid by putting him/her in an institution away from it's mum is dark ages stuff.
    most of the women in jail are of no threat to you and me at all.
  • Options
    what about the men in jail, surely they haveas much right to see their kids, keeping it equal and all
  • Options
    what about the men in jail, surely they haveas much right to see their kids, keeping it equal and all
    all this equal stuff is utter crap in my opinion.
    to make a safe place for women and children is far easier than making the same kind of environment in a mens prison.
    this equality stuff is old fashioned 60's bollox.
    equal in pay for the same job maybe ...but we can never be equal in many other ways ...women get pregnant ...men don't ...wheres the equality in that?
    it's utter bollox.
  • Options
    oh sorry

if youre saying there should be facilities for female inmates to see their children, i agree fully

on the thing saying a woman whose commited a crime shouldnt go to prison cause she has a kis back home, thats utter bolloks as if a man commits a crime and he has a kid back home, he still goes to prison

all im saying is if women are entitled to see their kids very regulary whilst they in prison, then male inmates should get the same....
  • Options
    oh sorry

if youre saying there should be facilities for female inmates to see their children, i agree fully

on the thing saying a woman whose commited a crime shouldnt go to prison cause she has a kis back home, thats utter bolloks as if a man commits a crime and he has a kid back home, he still goes to prison

all im saying is if women are entitled to see their kids very regulary whilst they in prison, then male inmates should get the same....
    sorry placyboo ...i'm missunderstanding.
    i'm talking jails where there is a section set aside for women with toddlers ...but of course as far as visiting goes mum and dad should in my opinion be allowed daily visits from the outside.
    when i was in visiting was half an hour a a month ...and that was it. in some british jails that still stands.
    if your wife and kids used that half hour up that was it. how the hell your supposed to keep family contacts ...work and friends contacts open and workable was beyond everyone.
    punishement is one thing but to destroy your life with such restrictions is barbaric.
  • Options
    thats still purely anecdotal, you could say the same about the father HAVING to go out to work whilst mum stays at home with kids :rolleyes: