Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Designer

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just out of curiosity.

Who's your favourite designer?

Do you own anything by them? And/or any other designer?

& how often do you spend your money on designer accessories/clothes?

My favourite designer would have to be Marc Jacobs or Anna Sui. Although I also enjoy Miu Miu & Betsey Johnson & Stella McCartney. Arrr, so many...

I don't own anything by them unfortunately. I can't afford it at the mo. :(

I do have the obligatory D&G sunglasses. A couple of Fendi. And a vintage Gucci & a Fendi bag. I have a Louis Vuitton purse that I got for christmas, and a Dior bracelet that I lost when I went to a bar. :mad: Can't think what else. I would sell my soul for this green Chloe dress

I really really like Louis Vuitton bags, but every other girl has one!! So now they look properly tacky. I might as well get a fake one because everybody else will think it isn't real anyway. Bah.

Also, those feckin Tiffany necklaces & bracelets that are everywhere as well. Bleugh, I don't like Tiffany.

OK that's enough from me.
PS. I'm not a designer freak who only wears label clothes etc by the way...nonono. I practically live in H&M, Zara & thrift stores. But it's lovely to splash out every now and again.

Comments

• Options
    I dont really like the Gucci, Versace etc, I like the more casual sort of designers like Replay, Diesel, Duffer (there T-shirts anyway), Levis and DKNY. My fave has gotta be Replay, they have the fucnkiest T's. And I love Deisel jeans, they have so many different styles, even though I just get sum cheap jeans and do my own designs on them, like bleach them and cut holes out of them. But you know what I cant stand is clothes which have the name of the designer all over it. Like DKNY all over the T shirt, I like T's with funky illustartions on them.
    And yeh i'm one of the lucky ones, I got clothes from most of the designers I stated, but like you I aint got enough money to have a whole wardrobe of their clothes :(
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Re: Designer
    Originally posted by Lexxie*
    Just out of curiosity.
    Can't think what else. I would sell my soul for this green Chloe dress

not a fashion expert so cannot answer your questions however i do think that that dress would *so* suit you :)
  • Options
    Theres not really a designer i really like, i just wear what i like :)

Nice dress :yes:
  • Options
    It's uuugly. :( Emily, you weirdo.

It'd be nicer if it were shorter. [/Essex girl]
  • Options
    Originally posted by DaisyChainThing
    It's uuugly. :( Emily, you weirdo.

It'd be nicer if it were shorter. [/Essex girl]

:O!! its amazing, what are you talking about? :p

my legs ming anyway, so the longer the better
  • Options
    kyliechloedressR110604_250x450.jpg

i think it's the one kylie wore actually. she's trying to copy me.
    and now stores like tesco are selling similar versions. gah :mad:
  • Options
    I like the Italian stuff (surprise surprise!) like Gucci, Prada etc, but I don't own any of their stuff. Whenever I visit the shops, I'll look for stuff on the high street that's similar. I've noticed a few things going on Ebay though, I'll have to have a proper peek.

Not a huge DKNY fan, but I like their underwear. I raid Karen Millen whenever there's a sale on. I've seen loads of people wearing Von Dutch stuff. What's that all about? :confused:

I have a pair of Jimmy Choo's :D
  • Options

Who's your favourite designer?

Can't think what else. I would sell my soul for this green Chloe dress[/B]
    Designer clothes are just a waste of money. You can't buy style and taste with money, or by wearing their clothes. Thousands of pikeys have proved that by wearing D&G t-shirts and other such clothing.
    My favourite designer? Don't have one. If it looks good, and fits ok, then I'll wear it, and I'll avoid anything that has a designer label on it where it can be seen (read my last point).

As for that dress. That's just an example of "designers" just having a joke on you at your expense. I'm sorry, but that just looks hideous. I know you don't want to hear that, but it is.
    Then again, if you're thinking of wearing it to impress a bloke, he'll undress you with his eyes in five seconds flat anyway. And your girlfriends will all coo over it simply because it's a designer label, so who cares what anybody else thinks. Go and spend an obscene amount of money on it.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Designer
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    Designer clothes are just a waste of money. You can't buy style and taste with money, or by wearing their clothes. Thousands of pikeys have proved that by wearing D&G t-shirts and other such clothing.
    My favourite designer? Don't have one. If it looks good, and fits ok, then I'll wear it, and I'll avoid anything that has a designer label on it where it can be seen (read my last point).

As for that dress. That's just an example of "designers" just having a joke on you at your expense. I'm sorry, but that just looks hideous. I know you don't want to hear that, but it is.
    Then again, if you're thinking of wearing it to impress a bloke, he'll undress you with his eyes in five seconds flat anyway. And your girlfriends will all coo over it simply because it's a designer label, so who cares what anybody else thinks. Go and spend an obscene amount of money on it.

Well now, if I had an obscene amount of money to actually spend, then I would do just that! Did I say I was going to buy it? Erm, no. I'd very much like to, but unfortuntely I haven't got a spare £400 lying around at the moment.

Am I thinking about wearing it to impress a bloke? No. And I would never in a million years spend £400 in an attempt to impress a boy. I have neither the need or want to impress boys with designer labels. If I was to buy that dress, or any other designer wear for that matter, it would be for me. I'm not going to attempt to explain my love for quality label wear, because you obviously will never be sharing it. But I'm a fashionista, so obviously enjoy my clothes, labelled or not.

So no, I don't believe it's a waste of money. Not if you splash out now and again on something you really like that's quality & going to last you probably for years to come. Obviously not everyone agrees, and would prefer to stick to Asda/H&M/Topshop, or wherever it is they buy their clothes. Each to their own.

As for 'designers' trying to have a joke on me at my expense? Oh please! Is every fashion freak out there going to look at that dress and buy it? I don't think so. Despite what you think, I like it anyway. If nobody else liked it except for me, then so what!? If I was as wealthy as I'd like to be, then I'd buy it.

Oh I am definitely not attempting to 'buy style and taste', for I have that already. :p
  • Options

I agree with the point you make about people not being able to buy style and people who have T shirts or items of clothing (to me) with the name of the brand in large print all over it are obviously trying to portarty a certain image (but then again so are most of us when buying products of any kind). But I have to disagree with what your saying about designer clothing being a waste of money for 2 reasons:

1) A lot of my t-shirts are designer and cost £35-50, the reason I buy them is cos they have the look I want. If I wanna buy a t-shirt from the high street such as topman, they have cheesy T shirts with things like "get your coat love, your pulled" or "fancy a fuck?" etc. But when I buy t's from designers like replay or duffer, they are lets say more "classy", and have funky illustrations on them without a hint of a logo on it.

2) My ex gf is a size 6 and finds it really hard to find clothes that fit her well (especially jeans), but designers provide a broader range of sizes, so my ex buys a lot of jeans from Diesel as they seem to be the only one's which provide her size.

Another thing (and this is off topic) I've been given an unconditional offer to the london college of fashion, which I start in the autumn, the thing is people think people who are fashion freaks are all the same and that they do not have "style" as they are just copying others. Thats not true! Fashion is about trying out new things and experimenting and standing out. If you came to my college I can guarantee you that I was the most originally dressed out of everyone. Sure "trendies" wear odd things like banadenas around their wrists and have jeans with holes in them and white marks lookin as if theyve just creamed themselves, but thats the thing, i'm prob the only guy that had the guts to do it, and at the end of the day thats what its about GUTS. Ive seen people who arent into fashion dress, and they look the same as everyone else to me, but then when you look at sum1 into fashion (like Lexxie*) they dont look the same as everyone else. Therefore, fashion victims dont look the same as everyone else.

P.S. I have nothing against how people dress, I think people should dress how they want, and that to me is the essence of fashion. If people took the time to look at fashion magazines such as I.D and such, they will see the art and non-conformist attitude involved.

Soz....I am obsessed with fashion

:D
  • Options
    omen/alchemy clothing isn't really designer but it's nice....i used like benetton but not now.
  • Options

Are you blind? The dress is gorgeous.
    I absolutely adore thre greek-style dresses which are around at the moment. It's also a plus as they're good for a figure like mine.

Either way, I do own a lot of brands, but the only actual designer which I own is Versace... I don't even like them that much.

Really like Chloe, Anna Sui, Marc Jacobs and I have to say that some of Guccis latest stuff is amazing (strictly talking about clothes, not accesories).
  • Options
    Originally posted by lovin_ur_work
    But you know what I cant stand is clothes which have the name of the designer all over it.

What like these Von Dutch jeans I just bought fer £70 (bargain!!)
    http://www.vondutch.com/store/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=2003

Bugger :D

I myself don't really care much for labels. I'm a lucky one with clothes for example I'm currently wearing these light blue, worn out, fraying jeans that have holes in the bum pockets, bright orange stitching and seriously worn out thighs. All of which is very fashionable right now yeah? Well not when I bought em they weren't! Theyw ere DEEP blue Le Sharks £20 from matalan and They have worn over time :D

Ahem sorry .. ramble over...

I love the odd designer label but I don't really have my own preference to be honest. I am one for Petroleum (who?!) tees.
  • Options
    My brand is Wal-Mart. theres a possiblitlty you won't get the joke unless you're from the states.
  • Options
    Nah our Asda is owned by Walmart we're no stranger to em!!

They do nice jeans... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    HA I could talk about designer goodies all day :( I wear very unique clothes that most people have never heard of. I don't care what price I have to pay to make sure no one else has the clothes I do. I have way too many handbags. I'm a handbag freak. :( most of my clothes, shoes, and handbags that are in my closets still have tags. I keep saying I'll donate the clothes I don't wear to be auctioned off for charity but I'm too lazy to go through it all.

I went through a phase 3 years ago of when I was very into the popular designers so all I had was the popular ones of Gucci, Prada, Fendi, Christian Dior, Louis Vuitton, Tiffany & Co., Burberry (which I hear is worn too much in the UK),Versace, Chanel, Armani, Kate Spade. And now, I really don't care what brand it is because I refuse to wear clothes that the brand shows. :rolleyes: I have a huge variety of clothes in my closets like Yves Saint Laurent, Nanette Leporre, Hermes bags :heart:,Citizens of Humanity, Trina Turk, Zac Posen, Trish McEvoy(has the best cosmetics...well, next to Bobbi Brown), Emilio Pucci, Carolina Herrera, Bottega Veneta, Cambio, James Perse, Narciso Rodrigeuz, Patek Philippe watch and Nancy B.

My motto with clothes, shoes, handbags, accessories, hair care and make up is if you can afford it, buy it. :D

I hope the girls who wear the "logo" designer clothes get hit by a bus. like the shirts that say "VERSACE" right on the front and that's all it says. whoopdie-fuckin-do. Class is not having to show the brand to look like a million dollars :D
  • Options
    i wear clothes i've designed. does that count?

i'm not impressed by high fashion, it has to be said. i'm a bargain basement chick at heart. most of the designer stuff of recent years is ugly. especially the recent trend for brightly coloured leather, which is really horrendous.

end of the day, i'm not going to pay £150 for a pair of jeans when i can get a pair that fit better and look better for £20 - £30 from Zara or H&M.

if i see something in a charity shop that's designer and nice, i'd buy it. but i wouldn't buy it just for the label. that's pathetic. i'd also buy something that was nice and from asda.
  • Options
    I really like Anna Sui, I've just got the perfume for my Bithday too! I haven't got anything else by her, can't often afford it, but I can still look. :(

I like Chloe, Prada, Gucci, Donna Karen, and Dolce and Gabbana too. Theres a lovely Gucci bag that I'd die for, but it's way too expensive. I don't own any prada stuff unfortunately though. I've got a Gucci bag, a few bits from Donna Karen and Dolce and Gabbana. I've got a Louis Vuitton bag too, one of the brown ones. I had it for my birthday,and then the following year, I walked down town and saw every 10 year old girl wearing one, and they were selling them for like £10. I couldn't believe it. I don't wear it much now, 'cause everyone at a first look would probably suspect it's fake. Oh well. :(

Tiffany have some lovely jewellery. Not the linked chains that every woman and her dog is wearing though. Some of the plainer, less comercial stuff is gorgeous.

I live in TopShop, Miss Selfridge, Zara etc. mainly though. Can't beat a bargain :heart:

That dress is gorgeous, I saw one similar in a magazine the other day and fell in love.
  • Options
    Have to say that dress is too long for my tastes but i do like the more sculpted one that kylie had on.

I don't wear designer stuff i must admit apart from my ballgowns which get aired about twice a year :rolleyes: I do like Ghararni Stok and such as i prefer the more simpler styles used.
  • Options
    if i need to make a decision to choose one fashion designer i particularly like i will select jean paul gaulitier .from the day i started to learn fashion design i had loved his idiocratic design:cool:
  • Options
    I cant think of any actual designer that I like more than any other. I tend to like individual items as opposed to the person who designed them. I probably wouldnt buy anything designer as they are usually so expensive, but there are some brands that tend to have more things I like than others. I dont care if someone else is wearing the same thing as me, im not trying to be anything special, I just like to look how I think is nice.

not at all keen on that dress though, although im sure it would look stunning on. I cant think of any occasion I would wear an evening dress and even if i did go to posh functions, you woulodnt wear the same dress every time, so you wouldnt get much wear out of it. (sometimes i wish i wasnt so practical)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blnde_BombShell
    I don't care what price I have to pay to make sure no one else has the clothes I do.

W.T.F
  • Options
    Just out of curiosity.

I really really like Louis Vuitton bags, but every other girl has one!! So now they look properly tacky. I might as well get a fake one because everybody else will think it isn't real anyway. Bah.

Totally know what you mean! I had a Louis Vuittion bag, and now nearly everyone has them, and most of them are fake! :mad: Its same as Evisu, I had a nice bag and loads of people have the bags, jeans and again, most are fake!:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Briony
    Totally know what you mean! I had a Louis Vuittion bag, and now nearly everyone has them, and most of them are fake! :mad: Its same as Evisu, I had a nice bag and loads of people have the bags, jeans and again, most are fake!:rolleyes:

Oh no! Not. At the end of the day it is just a bag, who cares if people have the same bag (albeit fake) as you do? Perhaps you could look at it another way - what you like is liked by loads of other people thus making you fashionable!
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Designer
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    Oh no! Not. At the end of the day it is just a bag, who cares if people have the same bag (albeit fake) as you do? Perhaps you could look at it another way - what you like is liked by loads of other people thus making you fashionable!

I know, I just wanted to be different! Im not havin a go or nothing. Some of the fake stuff looks ok, but then most looks cheap and tacky..... which it is cheap and tacky!
  • Options
    but if they look identical to the brand how can it be tacky? (obviously cheap, yes though) it must only mean one thing... the original itself was tacky... dun dun dun
  • Options
    I've got a Louis Vuitton bag, and there's so many cheap versions around that don't look anywhere near as good. It's really annoying to think people may be like "Oh shes's another one of them girls who buys them fake bags..." when in actual fact, I'm not. And even though if they took a closer look they'd realise it's genuine, it's still not the point: People have fake one's made to look like the real thing, so people automatically assume its fake, which pisses me right off, especially seeing as they're so common now.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Designer
    Originally posted by Briony
    I know, I just wanted to be different! Im not havin a go or nothing. Some of the fake stuff looks ok, but then most looks cheap and tacky..... which it is cheap and tacky!

you know its probably made in the same factories as the realstuff in some down and out country paying 10yr old less than $1 a day for making hundreds of bags
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Designer
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    you know its probably made in the same factories as the realstuff in some down and out country paying 10yr old less than $1 a day for making hundreds of bags
    Most stuff is. And alot of food too. There's not alot we can do about it though, it's not our problem.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Designer
    Originally posted by Young and sexy
    it's not our problem.

:yeees: And thats why it still goes on.