Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

incitement to religious hatred law to be put through houses

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3873323.stm

i cant believe he's trying to put this through the house of commons and lords :confused:

i understand why sikhs and jews are protected becuase its been shown that theres a close enough link between ethnicity and the religion for it to be classed under racism

it still my firm belief people arent born with a religion, its a choice no matter what anyone says and well surely you can hate someone for their choices in life, as they can help it!

why does this government believe new laws are the answer when personally its better enforcement thats needed like with the smacking/child abuse issue

Comments

• Options
    Originally posted by lukesh
    the race laws are all crap in my opinion.

Why?
  • Options
    why luke do you say that? add some depth to your argument

i reckon discrimination laws are needed to stop workplaces etc preventing employment purely cause of race or sex etc but religion doesnt count as fundametally it is still a CHOICE

but noone shuld be arrested for a thought crime such as expressing their prejudiced view as we're all human and prejudiced in some way or another

people like teachers should be prevented expressing political views in class as children are still highly impressionable but thats about as far as it should stand
  • Options
    People should be allowed to think and express what they like.
    Inciting violence/hatred is slightly different though, but it can be a fine line.
  • Options
    I think the laws are one sided, OK I admit, some are ok and are needed for various reasons.

Why?
    Many are just for a particular group and only seem to apply to them.

How?
  • Options
    Another lukesh special, eh? Make a sweeping assertion and then fail to explain or back it up.

You're gonna go far.
  • Options
    Its not an argument over nothing. Its another example of your crap and infuriating debating skills. You make a comment, then refuse to explain what you mean or back it up in any way.

How did your GCSE's go btw?
  • Options
    I hope you do well. :)
  • Options
    Good luck with the exams as well man :)
  • Options
    yep good luck dude, you dont do history with your discussion skills do you :p

seriously though despite people's arguments with u on here im sure they all agree wid me and reckon youre a nice guy overall

/jokes

good luck!
  • Options
    In an ideal world, there would be no need for any of these laws. People would be free to say what they want, and people who did not respect others would lose out severly in a free market.

But that isn't gonna happen, the free market should mean that a company will choose the best employee, but it rarely does. certainly not in the City.

I support any law that means a company CAN NOT discriminate on grounds of race, sexuality or religion, although what concerns me with these laws is that there always appears to be a "quota" element to them. If a company employs white middle-class middle-aged men, and turns down a black woman (say) because she isn't up to the job they want (and not because of any other reason), then that woman seems to regularly turn to the courts. And win.

It is sad, but people will always exploit the law. Have no law and women will earn 63p for every male £1 earned (as is the case even now), have a law and people cry "race" at every opportunity. C'est la vie.
  • Options
    hmmm i dont like religious discrimination laws though simply cause for normal purposes fair enough, but i hate all people who preach to me, of any religion whatsoever and i would never employ someone whose life appears to be converting others

RELIGION IS A CHOICE!
  • Options
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    hmmm i dont like religious discrimination laws though simply cause for normal purposes fair enough, but i hate all people who preach to me, of any religion whatsoever and i would never employ someone whose life appears to be converting others

RELIGION IS A CHOICE!

Religion is a choice.

But that doesn't mean that somebody should be turned from a job because of a belief. Does it?

You "hate" religious people- that is prejudice. Prejudice has no place in the workplace.

If you would turn away an otherwise excellent candidate because of their religion you are wrong, and you need to be prevented from doing this. Simple as.
  • Options
    Re: incitement to religious hatred law to be put through houses

it still my firm belief people arent born with a religion, its a choice no matter what anyone says and well surely you can hate someone for their choices in life, as they can help it!

So then it's right to discriminate against the way people dress? Should you be able to make fun of fat people?

As somebody who's fairly spiritual and who has to hide that part of me because of misconceptions about 'my type' I can empathise for people going through religious discrimination. But then why use somebody's religion as an excuse to hate them? Religion/spirituality is just a part of somebody, not the entire person they are. If somebody prays to Allah, Isis, Ganesha or whoever, they do it in their own time and thus it's their own business...

Ok it's annoying when fundies try and ram things down your throat...

But as for the law... I think it should be enforced. I'm going for a job in a Catholic establishment and have to hide my religion from them because they probably won't approve. But why should I? Denying somebody their religion/spirituality is oppressing their freedom of self-expression. At least in my opinion...

Better religious education could be called for too...
  • Options
    I'm a Catholic.

How would you like it if I stopped you getting the job you dearly want because you are an atheist?

It works both ways.
  • Options
    Re: Re: incitement to religious hatred law to be put through houses
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    I'm going for a job in a Catholic establishment and have to hide my religion from them because they probably won't approve.

You generally have to fit into the "ethos" of a workplace, a school especially.

But that's to digress.

It all depends on whether you are suited for the job. If you are deepkly anti-Catholic then you probably aren't suited for a job in a devoutly Catholic esteblishment, just as a devout Catholic wouldn't be suited to a job in a Hindu temple.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: incitement to religious hatred law to be put through houses
    Originally posted by Kermit
    You generally have to fit into the "ethos" of a workplace, a school especially.

But that's to digress.

It all depends on whether you are suited for the job. If you are deepkly anti-Catholic then you probably aren't suited for a job in a devoutly Catholic esteblishment, just as a devout Catholic wouldn't be suited to a job in a Hindu temple.

Nah, it's a Catholic school and I'm Pagan although I have many Christian friends and respect the person seperately to the religion they follow. I respect the fact a person is Catholic as it's their choice, but I also believe a way in which somebody treats another person is a choice... Only a seperate one.

To tar every person with the same brush because of their religion is ignorant (in my opinion). For example I know a Catholic who openly hates Jews and told me that what I believe is bullshit. Yet her friend who's also Catholic is very liberal and interested in learning about other religions.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Religion is a choice.

But that doesn't mean that somebody should be turned from a job because of a belief. Does it?

You "hate" religious people- that is prejudice. Prejudice has no place in the workplace.

If you would turn away an otherwise excellent candidate because of their religion you are wrong, and you need to be prevented from doing this. Simple as.

i wouldnt be actually discriminating them on their religion, itd be their attitude as whole, if they believe theyre on a mission from god, it aint their religion, its thier individual take on things and their lack of ability to accept others as they come without trying to change them

did you read what i wrote, i said people should be allowed to discrimnate upon religion, personally though i reckon that plain stupid but what i dont like is actually an aspect of their personality, which is fair enough for a job if people have to work with them
  • Options
    i wouldnt be actually discriminating them on their religion, itd be their attitude as whole, if they believe theyre on a mission from god, it aint their religion, its thier individual take on things and their lack of ability to accept others as they come without trying to change them

Religion is too diverse to say that every <__Insert religion here___> is closed minded or wants war or is discriminatory... And you couldn't just give them a religion test to see how fundamentalist they are... it'd be a case of all or none.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    Religion is too diverse to say that every <__Insert religion here___> is closed minded or wants war or is discriminatory... And you couldn't just give them a religion test to see how fundamentalist they are... it'd be a case of all or none.

:banghead:

are you listening, i didnt say everyone in one religion wants to start wars or anything!!! i just saying people have a right to dislike a religion as its a belief, and if you dont like their core beliefs you have every right to discrimnate upon it

but talking aobut myself, you cant test how fundamentalist someone is, but you always get some who just come across as hardcore *religious book* bashers and well that aint actually discriminating against their relgiion, its discriminating against an aspect of their personality you dont like, and well that happens in job interviews all the time
  • Options
    Nuuuuu... sorry, it wasn't aimed directly at you. Just people with that attitude in general.
  • Options
    Lukesh, fingers crossed for you but with your 2050 posts since Easter I'm not sure if I have enough fingers ;)
  • Options
    On the subject matter, I don't think this is aimed at people criticizing religions or talking reasonably but more at extremists.

There is a huge difference between someone saying for example 'I disgree with this religion because......' and Islamaphobia, secterianism etc