Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

John Kerry running mate is John Edwards

John Kerry has just announced his running mate for the election: former rival John Edwards. Full story

Good choice? Bad choice? I'd be interested in hearing opinions from our American contributors here...
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What I can't imagine is why anyone on this planet would like George W. Bush to win the election.

For the sake of the human race, I truly hope that extremely dangerous evil sub-human scumbag gets kicked out in November.

Frankly I can't imagine how anyone would want it different...
  • Options
    I think it is a good choice.

His story of being a "self-made" man will strike a cord with Americans.

Also he is seen as being charismatic which will be needed in this election as both Kerry and Bush seem to lack charisma
  • Options
    Originally posted by marv
    His story of being a "self-made" man will strike a cord with Americans.

Also he is seen as being charismatic which will be needed in this election as both Kerry and Bush seem to lack charisma
    :yes: Also, he was second to Kerry in the primaries (popular amongst his party). And he balances Kerry's war veteran image with, as you say, his self-made man image - a bit like the "Boy from Hope" (Clinton). And both men have senate experience which looks good.
  • Options
    luke its american politics, you have no ideas what policies youre voting for but itd be hard to vote for someone worse than bush...

his environmental record is why i say he should go, and how he cut taxes on the rich, and cut services like medicare and welfare on the poor who rely upon them
  • Options
    Bush is a self abosrbed, hypocritical, lying, ultra-right religious homophobe.

He panders to the interests of big business, cuts taxes to the rich in the middle of a recession, has put more people out of work, cut the rights of workers e.t.c.
    He is a complete fucktard, he thinks he is on a crusade from God. Argh, and if any American secret service agents are reading this, just to fuck your computers up:
    bomb
    Al-qaeda
    Osama
    Taliban
    9/11
    shoebomb
    Saddam

I just feel sorry for people who have to live in the USA with all this crap going on. And the sad thing is they don't even realise the mess Bush is creating.
  • Options
    Even if Bush won (for once, instead of cheating...) we're not talking a great majority of the Americans voting for him... I think you'd be looking a very small proportion of the population as voting numbers are not very high there.

But in any case there is a good reason why some Americans might see another way. Public opinion is shamelessly manipulated and totally controlled by the neo-con, American Right machinery and the Republican media.

The level of disinformation of the American public is truly shocking. Suffice to say that around 40% still believe Saddam had something to do with 9/11... something that not the most deranged lunatic outside the States would think, since we get better, unbiased information and less manipulation and can see the facts for what they are.

The only reason why 40% of Americans believe in something that is completely and utterly false is because they live in a cocoon where the only "information" and "facts" are supplied by the government and the Right Wing press.

But the fact remains that anyone who have access to unbiased information and analyses Dubya's first term objectively can only reach one conclusion: that G. W. Bush has arguably been the worst President in the history of the United States and that he's a totally incompetent, lying, cheating, dangerous fool who shouldn't be allowed to run a bath, let alone a country.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lukesh
    Isn't it the same in every country? Like Labour, if they win, they will only win by 38% of the vote for instance, hardly the majority is it?
    True but the number in the US is much much lower. Bear in mind that unfortunately much of the electorate can't be bothered to vote there, whereas here at least we get 65-70%.

Your making it sound like a dictator, I think it's the same here, the Media influences everyone.
    Oh no it isn't. You don't seem to be fully aware of the levels of manipulation and control the Right Wing and its media have in the US. It ain't funny.
    America just want to see saddam as a bad man, Europeans believe he is a bad man but rather saddam to Bush i read somewhere, thank god we don't think like that in the UK, oh that would be because we are more pro american.
    What? How does that bear relation to anything I said?

I'll say it again: 40% of Americans still believe Saddam was involved in 9/11. The only reason why so many people believe that is because they have been lied to and programmed by the White House, the Right Wing media and the neo-con spin machine.

If these people are able to make believe nearly half the population in something so ridiculous and utterly false, what hope there is for the Americans of getting a true picture of how things are going in their country?

The same applies to other things. Many of them are so sided in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict because they are unaware of any atrocities committed by the Israelis. They only hear what the Right Wing wants them to hear.
    also, I remember a poll on teletext, most people backed Bush to win a next term.
    Teletext polls are laughable, unreliable and totally biased. You really need to take the pulse on public opinion in different ways Luke...