Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

using ****** for food dish advert banned

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/040705/80/excms.html

what next - spotted dick? :rolleyes:

*wow it been censored on here and i on about the food dish!*

Comments

• Options
    but fggt is a US term so why would Ofcom ban this ad:confused:
  • Options
    Its a commonly known term of abuse, thats why.
  • Options
    Otherwise we could call anyone we want 'cocksucker' or 'asshole' without reprisal here...
  • Options
    goddamn cocksucker asshole commie
  • Options
    you can be too pc I'm afraid. Anyway, cocksucker and asshole are just general derogatory terms; our TV would get away with them anyday. It's only when they could possibly be construed as being targetted against minorities (ie: homosexuals) that people take action.
  • Options
    and whats wrong with that?
  • Options
    People spend too long being offended in this country. And too many other people pander to them too much.

*sigh*
  • Options
    You have to look at the social context and history.
    Gay people used to be imprisoned for being gay until 1967, thats very very recently, still within living memory for a hell of a lot of people. Gay men have been killed for being gay, most of my gay mates have been queer bashed at some point, all still receive hateful abuse occasionally.

Just a few reasons why people get offended I guess.
  • Options
    It's rightly banned though- the joke is shit.
  • Options
    I haven't had a meaty ****** for weeks... Why is it seen as so offensive?
  • Options
    foodeat1.jpg

foodeat3.jpg

foodeat5.jpg
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    I haven't had a meaty ****** for weeks... Why is it seen as so offensive?

Read the bloody thread.
  • Options
    Okay so that people understand exactly why the decision was taken this is from the ofcom report

Advertising complaints bulletin July 2004

Somerfield

Key 103 FM (Manchester); Heart 106.2 (Greater London);
    Forth FM (Edinburgh and East Central Scotland)

Issue

A commercial featured a husband challenging his wife's
    repetitive routine of a set meal for each day of the week.
    While he wanted lasagne, he was told that, as it was Friday,
    he was to have ******s. He responded: 'I've nothing against
    ******s, I just don't fancy them.'

Three listeners were offended, as they believed the
    husband's response alluded to homosexuals, '******s' being
    a derogatory term for them.

Response

The advertiser said: 'The ad refers only to food products.
    '******s' were chosen to demonstrate the idea because they
    are commonly perceived as an outdated and slightly comical
    product, not because of any possible allusions to
    homosexuality.' It also chose to reassure [us] that the ad
    was on air for only five days and [did] not plan to run
    the advert again.

The Radio Advertising Clearance Centre (RACC) confirmed
    that the reference to ******s was clearly made in the
    context of food and added that the script was one of a
    number approved for a campaign to persuade people to
    shop regularly and 'grab whatever you fancy, when you
    fancy it.'

Decision

Irrespective of the advertiser's denial of intent and the
    brevity of the campaign, we believed that the aired comment
    was likely to have been perceived at best as innuendo. The
    phrase 'I've got nothing against ******s, I just don't fancy
    them' could clearly be seen in connection with
    homosexuality. As the term '******', when used in this
    context, is a highly derogatory term, we believed that it was
    capable of causing serious offence. The advertisement had
    therefore breached Section 2 Rule 9 (Good Taste, Decency
    and Offence to Public Feeling) of the Advertising and
    Sponsorship Code.

Conclusion

The advertisement must not be broadcast again in its
    present form.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Its a commonly known term of abuse, thats why.

It's not the word that's a problem, but the context.

Brains F*ggots are a well known dish in this country, and have been around since before US culture invaded these shores. To suggest that it is therefore an offensive term generally would be to miss the historic context of the expression.
  • Options
    Yes of course it's about context. And in the context of this advert, it's obviously a bad pun on the term of abuse for homosexuals.
  • Options
    Yes of course it's about context. And in the context of this advert, it's obviously a bad pun on the term of abuse for homosexuals.

:yes: I wouldnt have found anything wrong with the use of the term f*ggot, but I think because its implying something with the pun, people were right to complain.
  • Options
    Excellent publicity for a two-bit supermaket, non?

It is obviously a bad pun, but people do seem to complain about at the drop of a hat now. In fact, I'm sure people complain about the dropping of hats.

If Mary Whitehouse wasn't dead I'd want to kill her.
  • Options
    yeh its a bad slightly twisted joke, but some people need to get some backbone and take less offence, i hear jokes about white heterosexual males all the time but i dont take offence!

bloody grannies complaining i swear
  • Options
    There is a difference between jokes about white heterosexuals and about homosexuals, and that's down to the differing power relations.

To be honest, its a bad pun, but doesn't particlularly offend me. I can see why some people might be offended though.
  • Options
    differing power relations my arse! ive been called a 'white dog' in bengali before, is that fine since theyre a minority, i dont believe so

okay thats on a different scale but you get me

theres also a fine line between a light hearted joke even if it is awful and blatant degradation and there is the possibility that the person who came up with that line actually meant it like that, as when i hear ****** i actually do think of the food 1st not the evil slang!
  • Options
    I hate it when US style English seems to get intermixed with our own.
    Fag=Cigarette
    Fag got=Meat in gravy
  • Options
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    differing power relations my arse!

Yes, differing power relations. Being a white heterosexual, you are in a majority in this society. You don't know what its like to be in a minority.
    As one of my gay mates says, when asked why there is a need for gay clubs etc - "to me, the whole world is a straight club".
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    Fag got=Meat in gravy

not when I made them...

at age 16 my first summer job was making sausages and fag gots. 40+ house a week for 8 weeks. talk about scarred for life
  • Options
    Yes, differing power relations. Being a white heterosexual, you are in a majority in this society. You don't know what its like to be in a minority.
    As one of my gay mates says, when asked why there is a need for gay clubs etc - "to me, the whole world is a straight club".

well he still has a biased view of the world

i go to any club, gay or straight! i go out just to have a good time dancing (badly) with mates, not to pull!

i know a lot of heterophobes and noone says anything aobut them
  • Options
    If you're not a minority then you don't know what its like.
  • Options
    my town is one of the few in the country where i am technically a ethnic minority, it has 45% pakistani-muslim and 20% white population

ive had racist abuse thrown at me (not literally :lol: ) and well theres little i could do and ive been in a fight cause someone hurled racist abuse at me, and it was assumed i started the fight cause im white and apparantly racist, when i have mates of every possible skin colour/religion/sexuality possible much like yourself it seems

and my borough as a whole (Newham) has 55% non whites compared to 45% whites, but my town is almost all asian

and i know how minorites get treated, i was out with my gay friends one night and we got a load of abuse off chav scum and the typical drunk english louts drinking stella and it wasnt very nice at all

SO DONT GET ME STARTED ON HOW IM NOT A MINORITY AND DONT UNDERSTAND
  • Options
    Actually white British make up 39.4% of the population in the London Borough of Newham, with black African 13.1%, Indian 12.1% and Bangladeshi 8.8%
    http://www.statistics.gov.uk/census2001/profiles/00BB-A.asp

You are in a majority in this society. I'm not discounting your personal experience of where you live, but in this society as a whole, you don't know what its like.
  • Options
    Actually white British make up 39.4% of the population in the London Borough of Newham, with black African 13.1%, Indian 12.1% and Bangladeshi 8.8%
    http://www.statistics.gov.uk/census2001/profiles/00BB-A.asp

You are in a majority in this society. I'm not discounting your personal experience of where you live, but in this society as a whole, you don't know what its like.

and this is my ward...........

http://neighbourhood.statistics.gov.uk/AreaProfileFrames.asp?TID=1&AREA=East+Ham+North+ward&AID=176350

so it not all in my head...

i know im a majority in this society, but i do know what it feels like to be treated like a sub-species

if you want to talk about whole of society, im in a minority in the whole world, being able to have access to decent food water and education and rights

seriously though blagsta everyone experiences some form of discrimination or degrodation in their life, and witnesses even more, havent you?

backto original topic though - there is a difference between a bad joke not meaning to offend, and actually offending a population, and 3 people complaining, thats soooo many! i bet they werent even gay themselves, dont you think some people just want to live in too much of a bubble sometimes?

like those councils who call xmas a 'winter festival' as not to offend minorites, when the minorities dont actually mind it being called xmas, its just some PC idiot in the council planning department
  • Options
    Remember that the decision taken by Ofcom followed the reply to the complaints by the advertisers that the reference to ******s had nothing whatsoever to do with homosexuals. They essentialy claimed that there was no joke at all, other than he was bored with dinner.

And it's also worth nothing that Ofcom is required by law to investigate all complaints, otherwise where would you draw the line? If 200 complain, 2,000, 20,000? Would you want to be the person who explained to the 1,999 people who complained that their complaints aren't valid because they were one short?

It's also worth looking at the reports in the television censorship thread to see the number of times that Ofcom do reject complaints.
  • Options
    if they said it was intended as a bad pun as well, they would of been fined so of course they said that it was purely that he was bored of dinner

and i fully agree they should investigate complaints, but from lots of cases i think they overreact too often and pander, you couldnt base a judgement on the fa**ot word because it does have mulitple meanings,one of which is was perfectly fine andused in the correct way, just quite cleverly put

and if it was banned for being a bad joke involving gays, then replacing 'fa**ot' with gays still has nothing wrong with saying 'gays, there nothing wrong with them, i just dont fancy them' which is also perfectly fine as it is!

okay not as bad as in america with the janet jackosn breast thing which was very accidental and funny but landed up being a multi million dollar lawsuit by apparantly responsible adults, not money grabber

i just wish i oculd find out if the people who complained were actually gay, bet they weren't!