Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Why does life throw so much shit...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
...at some?

We don't ask for much, we have health yes & am gratefull but :(.

Everything seems to happen at once. We are REALLY struggling with money right now & what happens...Chris's car is fucked. Jsut been told it will be £450 +VAT to fix...its not worth it! Even if it was we simply cant afford it.
Here comes getting up early to take him to work each day :( .

I'm so fucked off.

Comments

• Options
    aw hun, ((hugs)). I cant say i know how you feel, cos i dont, but i'l listen and offer you support on livejournal/here etc :)
  • Options
    aw, life froms some shit at times.

Dunno if this helps at all but is there no chance he can get the bus to work?
  • Options
    Originally posted by solid_L
    aw, life froms some shit at times.

Dunno if this helps at all but is there no chance he can get the bus to work?

Nope :(
  • Options
    The cost of catching the bus back and forth would add up aswel.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    shelly sweetie, you dont deserve this at all. if you wanna chat then you know how to find me. im there for you :)

re the car i dont know what to say, sorry :(
  • Options
    Awww that's shitty, you could buy another car for that price!! (Alright so it might be a bit of a banger but still...) You have my sympathy, just remember what doesn't break you makes you stronger and you'll be wiser at the end of it all because you'll have dealt with it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by dominatrix
    Awww that's shitty, you could buy another car for that price!! (Alright so it might be a bit of a banger but still...) You have my sympathy, just remember what doesn't break you makes you stronger and you'll be wiser at the end of it all because you'll have dealt with it.

Yeh thanks, its going in the paper for £100! Fucking thing.

I am already a strong person with what life has thrown at me :p heh.
  • Options
    I'm sorry to hear that. I was in a lot of trouble with money too, luckily I've just received a cheque for £250 from back dated income support, I hope you have the same sort of saving grace.:)
  • Options
    before you flog the car ...what exactly makes it fucked ...yet still worth hundred quid ...i might ...only might be able to give you advice about how to fix it a lot cheaper.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    before you flog the car ...what exactly makes it fucked ...yet still worth hundred quid ...i might ...only might be able to give you advice about how to fix it a lot cheaper.

Its probably ot even worth that :(.

The head gaskets gone...
  • Options
    Originally posted by J
    That can't be that expensive? It's just a metal seal at the end of the day and a few bolts holding the cylinder head down, I guess your paying them for time too :yeees:

Yeah its the labour, we phoned another company & they quoted £350.00 so its still too much. We only wanted it ot last another month too...
  • Options
    Yus as far as I remember they are expensive to replace, and it can mess up the engine completely when they go.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tweety
    Its probably ot even worth that :(.

The head gaskets gone...
    if you ask around for a cash in the hand kinda guy ...your looking at hundred quid or less.
    if you spent twenty quid on a torque wrench you could do it your self.
    head gasket is about a tenner to buy but ...you can actualy make a head gasket from a cornflakes box ...seriously ...i've done it.
    you take the cylinder head off ...clean both surfaces realy well ...put the gasket in place and put the cylinder head back on ...tightening each bolt to a certain tension which shows up on the the torque wrench ...if you use a cornflakes box ...you clean the surfaces ....put the cardboard on the bottom surface ...top of the engine block ...and gently tap around all the edges and ports with a light hammer to mark out where your gonna cut ...cut to fit ...put in place ...cover in aryldite and put the head back on.
    a days work for an amature.
    half a aday for someone who knows what they doing. a cardboard and araldite seal will last for years.
    it realy isn't a knackered car ...it realy is a fairly ...fairly simple job.
    ask around your area ...there has to be a competent person for less than hundred quid ...do it yourself and your looking at 20/30 quid.
    has that helped?
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    if you ask around for a cash in the hand kinda guy ...your looking at hundred quid or less.
    if you spent twenty quid on a torque wrench you could do it your self.
    head gasket is about a tenner to buy but ...you can actualy make a head gasket from a cornflakes box ...seriously ...i've done it.
    you take the cylinder head off ...clean both surfaces realy well ...put the gasket in place and put the cylinder head back on ...tightening each bolt to a certain tension which shows up on the the torque wrench ...if you use a cornflakes box ...you clean the surfaces ....put the cardboard on the bottom surface ...top of the engine block ...and gently tap around all the edges and ports with a light hammer to mark out where your gonna cut ...cut to fit ...put in place ...cover in aryldite and put the head back on.
    a days work for an amature.
    half a aday for someone who knows what they doing. a cardboard and araldite seal will last for years.
    it realy isn't a knackered car ...it realy is a fairly ...fairly simple job.
    ask around your area ...there has to be a competent person for less than hundred quid ...do it yourself and your looking at 20/30 quid.
    has that helped?

Thanks Mr roll i shall show Chris this later & see what he says :).