Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

the drug thats similar to dope?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
someone was talking about it too me the other day...matroxil or something like that...does anyone know anything about it?

Comments

• Options
    They may have been talking about the synthetic version of cannabis which is available in the US on prescription. Or at least its synthetic THC.

It comes in pill form and I'm fairly sure its name is similar to the name you gave. Have a look at www.erowid.org they will tell you.

Quite strange really because its another one of the examples of US drug law at its wierdest.

This drug is legal for prescription, but under law cannabis has no medical value, see a difference?

Same as with GHB, it has no medical value under law but a pharmacy company is licencing a drug which although chemically identical isnt called GHB, so TA DA! its legal for prescription.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    I think you are thinking of Marinol? Here is a link to the Erowid page about it. It is also called dronabinol, and is a schedule 2 controlled substance in the UK.
  • Options
    Thats the one I was on about, I knew you could be trusted to wander behind me with the right link.

Is it available on script here to then? Scedule 2 would suggest that, but then there are quite a few things on script which are never actually prescribed.
  • Options
    Wander! I was right on your tail.

I will have to look in to the availability of it and get back to you.
  • Options
    I've just not heard of it being used here at all. But then GHB can be prescribed under the same legal status as valium, doesnt mean any doctor does it though.
  • Options
    so i'm right in thinkin that this stuff is used for it's apetite increasing qualities?? i read the thing on the site from the people who make the stuff, but it's amazingly technical, and i'm not too wised up on my medical terminology.....
  • Options
    It could well be Marinol then, it is given to cancer sufferers to help them keep down food, one of the hardest things to do with heavy treatment.

And yes, it would be made in a lab, and as with all processes like that you could probably make it in a 'backstreet lab' if you really knew what you were doing. Why you would want to is another matter altogether.

All the reports I have heard about the drug havent exactly been positive. Oral cannabis is far harder to dose right than when you smoke it.
  • Options
    I have no idea what bias this website has, but it does include a summary of the House of Lords Science & Technology Select Committee findings and recommendations onthis page, which may be worth a look Bong, and from what I can gather nabilone is the UK name for the synthetic cannabinoid....
  • Options
    Interesting site.

The problem has been in the past is that a phamacy house can not patent cannabis, so to make a profit from it they need to single out certain chemicals and refine them.

This of course looks like they are just out to make a profit (which they are) and doesnt go down well with the purists.

I'm somewhat inbetween, the invention of the spray for example is a good move forward, it doesnt have the intoxication effect and therefore people can go about their lives normally.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Interesting site.

The problem has been in the past is that a phamacy house can not patent cannabis, so to make a profit from it they need to single out certain chemicals and refine them.

This of course looks like they are just out to make a profit (which they are) and doesnt go down well with the purists.

I'm somewhat inbetween, the invention of the spray for example is a good move forward, it doesnt have the intoxication effect and therefore people can go about their lives normally.

but surely if they make this thing legal, they will have to make cannabis legal too? right? or is there still legal loop hole in which they can jump through?
  • Options
    Its not as simple as that though.

Its never a case of something being legal or not legal really. You could be able to get it on prescription, but thats far from it being legal. Heroin for example can be given on prescription.

And by isolating one chemical they could change the law on that, making it available to doctors but the 'raw' product would still be illegal.

What is most likely to happen in the UK is that it will be moved between schedules so that it can be prescribed. But even thats not very likely, these synthetic versions will be available but not the plant itself.

And if we are talking about the US, well they have a fantastic record of totally ignoring double standards in their law. Both cannabis and GHB have no medical use under their law, yet THC is avaliable on prescription and GHB is in the process of being licenced.
  • Options
    Its not as simple as that though.

Its never a case of something being legal or not legal really. You could be able to get it on prescription, but thats far from it being legal. Heroin for example can be given on prescription.

And by isolating one chemical they could change the law on that, making it available to doctors but the 'raw' product would still be illegal.

What is most likely to happen in the UK is that it will be moved between schedules so that it can be prescribed. But even thats not very likely, these synthetic versions will be available but not the plant itself.

And if we are talking about the US, well they have a fantastic record of totally ignoring double standards in their law. Both cannabis and GHB have no medical use under their law, yet THC is avaliable on prescription and GHB is in the process of being licenced.

i know people in the US who get dope on precription and their insurance pays for it....:crazyeyes

in my eyes, goverments or going to have to make it legal because it mas far too many medicinal properties, and other things too...surely if grown on a mass scale it would be the worlds most prized cash crop?
  • Options
    Do they actually get cannabis or is it the synthetic version?
  • Options
    Do they actually get cannabis or is it the synthetic version?

just like homer simpson did. with the bong all all :lol:

p.s. look at what i added to that last post.
  • Options
    But there strictly isnt any clear line between something being medicinally used and being open for public use.

Many of the individual compounds will be available on prescription over the coming years but I dont think that will have a big impact on the legislation which governs cannabis use.

In fact I would say the US is less likely now to move towards legalisation than it has been in quite a few years. The country as a whole is becoming more conservative and drug law will reflect that.

Here in the UK the situation is somewhat different, we have moves towards liberalisation. But I dont think the country is ready for legalisation yet.
  • Options
    Originally posted by twisted_trinity
    just like homer simpson did. with the bong all all :lol:

Out of interest which state are they in, do you know? I know Oregon and California have been fighting with the Federal authorities for sometime over their state based laws.

The problem is that what they are doing is illegal given the current national law in the US. Its just the Federal government doesnt like going head to head with a state.
  • Options
    Out of interest which state are they in, do you know? I know Oregon and California have been fighting with the Federal authorities for sometime over their state based laws.

The problem is that what they are doing is illegal given the current national law in the US. Its just the Federal government doesnt like going head to head with a state.

he's in cali....but i was amazed....that would never happen in england.

here it's getting the same, many many people thing that legalization here will happen within the next 2-4 years, under this new, much more libral gov.
  • Options
    I presume he ends up buying it from a growers club and then is re-embursed for the money.

Personally I think this is a good way forward but tighter controls over it do need to be put forward so it doesnt just look like legalisation through another route. There have been more than one cannabis activist in California that have been busted for selling onto non-medical use.

Legalisation here will definately not happen in the next 4 years. That is certain. The UN Treaty on Narcotic Drugs has taken care of that.

Decriminalisation will probably move closer, but, well that depends a lot on who wins the next election. Then I think we will see buying clubs starting, these though illegal will not probably be punished.
  • Options
    Where are you then?
  • Options
    Where are you then?

spain.

you really have got smokers mind bong
  • Options
    I didnt know you were LUBY! I knew Luby lived in Spain, I had no idea who you were so how could I have known!

Cannabis use is already decriminalised there isnt it? Or at least it was.
  • Options
    I didnt know you were LUBY! I knew Luby lived in Spain, I had no idea who you were so how could I have known!

Cannabis use is already decriminalised there isnt it? Or at least it was.

to some exstent...you can grow for you own personal use and smoke in your own home. but buying it is illegal :eek2:
  • Options
    Well, thats a step in the right direction.
  • Options
    Well, thats a step in the right direction.

yes deffinatly...but out here dope's not the problem, coke is.
  • Options
    Cannabis is rarely a problem anywhere, there has been more and more cocaine in Europe, its a scary trend, many people are changing from pills to coke.
  • Options
    Cannabis is rarely a problem anywhere, there has been more and more cocaine in Europe, its a scary trend, many people are changing from pills to coke.

i find people on coke, seriously scary..
  • Options
    I've been around a handful of coke users in my time, though not for 3 years or so. More than anything I just found them irritating, they are very self important, very arogant, edgy....just twats really.
  • Options
    I've been around a handful of coke users in my time, though not for 3 years or so. More than anything I just found them irritating, they are very self important, very arogant, edgy....just twats really.

well my experiance wasn't like that but none the less, scary.
  • Options
    Originally posted by twisted_trinity
    well my experiance wasn't like that but none the less, scary.

what was your experience then?

I would of thought people are more scary when their NOT on coke other then on it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Digital-Emotion
    what was your experience then?

I would of thought people are more scary when their NOT on coke other then on it.

of the sexual kind, with a guy who i didn't really like...not nice at all to be honest....