Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

For you living with parents - leaving things switched on

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Do your parents have arguments over how much time you spend online (or just using your pc), or leaving the lights on or radio on?

My 14 year old cousin is always leaving things switched on and wasting electricity. He goes to sleep with the steraro on and falls asleep with it on for 8 hours, even though it has a sleep timer he never uses it.

Comments

• Options
    Re: For you living with parents - leaving things switched on
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    Do your parents have arguments over how much time you spend online (or just using your pc), or leaving the lights on or radio on?

My 14 year old cousin is always leaving things switched on and wasting electricity. He goes to sleep with the steraro on and falls asleep with it on for 8 hours, even though it has a sleep timer he never uses it.

No. :/
  • Options
    Yes, I get bitched at all the time if I leave anything that consumes electricity on. It would be such a shame if one of my parents died of electrucian. But still, because I am lazy with a weak mind, I never turn anything off because I usually forget its on in the first place.
  • Options
    Originally posted by ~*STRESSED*~
    Yeah, I get old off for leaving lights on and stuff.

I remember my exes mum shouting at him for leaving his computer on standby or leaving it on (when it was downloading stuff) when he was out. I found it quite funny. He didn't care about the electricity tho, lol.

Our electricity bill went up a lot, I reckon me having my PC on all the time didn't help, but I've now switched to using my Laptop which draws 19 watts (according to the power pack) instead of my desktop which is like 400 watts I guess, so I'm being good :)

I also disconnected the VCR cos I hardly use it these days just having that clock on draw 8 watts for nothing.
  • Options
    Originally posted by my_name
    Yes, I get bitched at all the time if I leave anything that consumes electricity on. But still, because I am lazy with a weak mind, I never turn anything off because I usually forget its on in the first place.

that's just like me.

If I turn things on, there always seems to be a parent following me round turning them off again.
  • Options
    I get moaned at for leaving cups, or the gate open at home. :|

SO much time these old beggars have, really. :|
  • Options
    I can't believe the stuff my parents leave on! They're terrible really. I mean, landing light, hall lights, cloakroom light, all the kitchen lights, porch light, and that's in addition to all the lights in the living room. They've only recently discovered low energy bulbs, which must be saving them a small fortune in the lamps they've fitted with them. I estimate that they must have about a kilowatt running some nights, plus the telly.

I can always remember my parents nagging me about turning lights off (ie one bedroom light), which seems a bit of a joke compared to their usage!

For several years now I've used low energy lamps, and they're fantastic - not just because of the low energy consumption, but because they last so long you're not running up a ladder every few weeks to change them. I have a couple in the room I'm in most of the time, and they chuck out about 175 watts of lighting, yet use less than a 40 watt bulb.
    My biggest use of power has to be my computer, which runs about 16 hrs a day. I often leave it on, downloading, while I'm out too. Not sure how much power it uses, but the monitor alone uses about 120 watts (according to the spec sheet in the manual). However, I turn the monitor and speakers off when I'm not using them, or leaving it downloading. I leave the computer downloading most nights, and even when I'm staying out, but have a program shut it down either when my ISP timesout my connection, or when the unmetered access ends in the morning.

Anybody know how much power the average PC uses (excluding monitor)? Or how to work it out? I know that some of the fans are between .5 and 1.5 watts, the hard drives are about 6 watts, but how much does the processor, motherboard, and cards, use?
  • Options
    they get annoyed if i forget to switch off the tv before i go to bed. they never get angry about leaving lights on. and i have my own laptop and broadband connection so they never get p1ssed about me using my computer!

tho. if i put a milk carton in a the wrong bin, then they tell me off. all cans go down the shoot, all bottles go in the blue bag, everything else goes in the brown bag... gah. what a mish.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Lexxie*

tho. if i put a milk carton in a the wrong bin, then they tell me off. all cans go down the shoot, all bottles go in the blue bag, everything else goes in the brown bag... gah. what a mish.

fuck that for the laugh it goes whereever it lands when i throw it!

my mum moaned constantly about every little tiny thing,i moved out :)
  • Options
    I can tell you you'll see it differently from the other side. It's SO irritating to have to go round after someone who seemingly can't be bothered to do the smallest things. See, if you don't do it, SOMEONE has to. In our house, guess who that someone is? Yeah, me. That's why I moan about it. Why should anyone leave a trail of chaos everywhere they go for someone else to sort out? Is that fair?

One particular bugbear of mine is putting empty packets, bottles and wrappers back in the fridge/cupboard. Apparently it's too much effort to walk five steps across the kitchen and put it in the bin, the same bin which people just stuff things into even after it's started overflowing onto the floor, rather than take the bloody bag out and empty it!!! Yeah, cause I'm the only one who's capable of doing that!

God, life would be so much simpler if I lived alone.

ETA: I'm not talking about leaving computers on. Although lights and tellys would annoy me. Oh Gawd, you shouldn't have started me off on this!! :lol:
  • Options
    :yes: Im forever getting in trouble for being on the computer for too long, mainly cuz it takes up the phone line. I get told off if i leave the tv on standby over night, i get told off if i leave empty packets in the cupboard, i also get told off for leaving the bathroom light on downstairs, all the time :|
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    It's mostly the phone bill, cause I spend much time online. Other than that, no. I sometimes forget the stereo on (not standby) and leave for hours, but it's not even mentioned. And the TV in the living room is on standby 24/7 when not being used.
    Actually, I'm the one who tells my mum off for some things -like leaving the key half-turned in the door (she thinks it's safer, I've explained why it isn't, and she still does it) and some other stuff.
  • Options
    Originally posted by *TiNK*
    i get told off if i leave empty packets in the cupboard

See - I mean.... can you please just explain to me.... why you put empty stuff back in the cupboard?!???? :confused::confused:
  • Options
    Miffy you aren't alone it does my head in also.
    Lights bug me & tv when its not being watched.

I think my parents passed this on to me. Its not the kids that bug me tho grr
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tweety
    Its not the kids that bug me tho grr

Lol, I KNOW what you mean! Mind you, wait long enough and it will be! When they're old enough to have no real excuse.
  • Options
    Originally posted by 1983
    I get moaned at for leaving cups, or the gate open at home. :|

How can you leave a cup open?

As for my flat, I get annoyed if my mrs leaves clothes about, I mean is it that hard to put it in a drawer or hang it up?
  • Options
    The electircity here is so dirt cheap that the electricity bill has never been an issue. I guess that's one of the reasons why my parents aren't bothered by things left turned on.
    However, the TV is always turned off when not being watched, mainly beause it's so annoying otherwise. Computers are often left on as well.

My grandmother always used to turn everything off and wouldn't leave the house until she had finished checking if she had forgotten about something. In a way, it's quite understandable.

But I've got a habit of leaving clothes on the floor, and my desks are usually a mess. :o Mom's pretty much given up on telling me to tidy though...
  • Options
    I remember once my Mum had a go at me when I put the heating on and then one night it was freezing and I was up until about 3am doing some art coursework but I didn't want to put the heating on. :|

I don't generally leave things on, and I'm forever shutting doors. Infact, it'd be me who's switching things off 'cause my Mum/Step-dad are always leaving the telly on.
  • Options
    No, but when peopler are in my house and they don't turn lights off I bitch at them about it.

It's all well and good sitting there thinking that it doesn't matter and your parents are being tight-fisted, but if you had to pay the bill you'd soon think differently.

I hate kids. Spolit little shits.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Miffy
    See - I mean.... can you please just explain to me.... why you put empty stuff back in the cupboard?!???? :confused::confused:

Half the time its because i want to wind my brother up, he does it to me, so i do it to him. Leave empty packets in and then when go to get something its not there :mad: Yes, immature. I dont do it really though anymore, im good now :angel:
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    How can you leave a cup open?

As for my flat, I get annoyed if my mrs leaves clothes about, I mean is it that hard to put it in a drawer or hang it up?

Hehe, nooo..like if I leave an empty/finished cup in the living room and I saunter through to my room and it's left through by, that's enough to annoy my Mum or Dad. Madness, really. :\
  • Options
    I get bitched at for not cleaning my room. I mean I am a mini neatfreak and I hate things being left around by other people and stuff but not by myself. Hypocritical yes.

I hate lights being left on, I don't like waiting for the bathroom then finding out no one's in it, just the light's been left on :/

I also get bitched at for being on my computer too long even though I take up none of the phoneline and we have a fixed rate ISP :/ But I would like to know how much electricity the computer consumes.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jazza Bing
    But I would like to know how much electricity the computer consumes.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much

*tenderly touches pocket*
  • Options
    I refuse to tidy my room. It is a complete hovel, I know that (see attached picture, lol!) however, as soon as my mum stops nagging me to do it, I will!
    sim.jpg 82.8K
  • Options
    But you've tidied it enough to hide any embarassing clothing:p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    But you've tidied it enough to hide any embarassing clothing:p

Are you suggesting I have embarrassing clothing Mr Frog?
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    I refuse to tidy my room. It is a complete hovel, I know that (see attached picture, lol!) however, as soon as my mum stops nagging me to do it, I will!

wow thats quite nasty.

there was this lovely girl at my uni, who all the blokes fancied cos, well, she was absolutely stunning. she was properly fit, but one day someone complained of a bad smell coming from her bedroom. they discovered tonnes of mouldy dishes, pots & pans under her bed that she'd taken from other people but couldn't be bothered to wash up. i'm talking mould by the barrel-full, it was revolting.

vomit.
    nobody fancied her after that.
    the end.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Lexxie*

they discovered tonnes of mouldy dishes, pots & pans under her bed that she'd taken from other people but couldn't be bothered to wash up. i'm talking mould by the barrel-full, it was revolting.
    :eek2:

I can assure people, there aren't any dishes of any sort under there (although... maybe I should check?! :p )
  • Options

:eek:
  • Options
    Originally posted by *Lisa*
    :eek:

Ah yes, but I do wash the dishes and put my junk away when she asks (if piling it on top of that lot already there counts as putting it away?!), and I wash my own clothes most of the time, and turn lights off, and I'm very environmentally aware!

But I can't be bothered to tidy that mess. I have to study at the dining room table!
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit

(attachment)
    That's not even close to how my room was a couple of years ago. It looks a lot better now (better than yours) but still there are people who would faint at seeing it (not due to any smells).