Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Marinating a frigging chicken

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was told the way to marinate a chicken was to put yougort and spices, etc and put it in the fridge over night.

Anyway I did that day before yesterday and left the chicken in over night and cooked it and the flavours didn't penetrate the chicken :(

We went to a South indian place the other wek for father's day and their chicken was soooo nice, it just broke apart so nicely, kind of like the way filleted fish comes apart. Want to know how to get chicken that tender.

I saw some TV programme and they said marinating in yoghurt would help break apart the fibres and make it soft, but it didn't seem to work :(

I tried a new batch for today with a little lemon, hoping that will do the trick.. but any cooking experts feel free to contribute.

Comments

• Options
    it helps if you pierce the chicken flesh first. all over.
  • Options
    I've always found, its just getting the cooking time just right.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    it helps if you pierce the chicken flesh first. all over.

I was considering getting a syringe and injecting the sauces directly into the little bugger :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    I was considering getting a syringe and injecting the sauces directly into the little bugger :D
    junky chicken aye?
    most restaraunt chicken is actualy deep fried ...hence why it's so moist ...then they marinate ...cheating but works.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    junky chicken aye?
    most restaraunt chicken is actualy deep fried ...hence why it's so moist ...then they marinate ...cheating but works.

Heck if it works I'd do that.

But I always thought deep frying would seal the outside chicken so that the sauces can't penetrate inside?
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    Heck if it works I'd do that.

But I always thought deep frying would seal the outside chicken so that the sauces can't penetrate inside?
    it makes the skin nice and crispy!
    lift or remove the skin and then marinate.
    deep fried is always soft and juicy cos it aint been dried out in the oven ...it cooks a hell of a lot faster ...and the fat or oil gets into the meat.
  • Options
    couple of good tips for cooking meat to it's best.
    if your roasting lamb thats on the bone ...only cook it for three quarters of the recomended time then turn the oven off and leave it ...the heat from the bone will continue to cook it from within. shrinks less and is so much more tender. yummy!
    roast beef ...cook a notch higher than recommended for the first half hour then ...pour boiling water around it ...not over it ...around one to two inches deep ...cover and continue to cook on recomended heat. this retains and puts in moisture. again less shrinkage ...bung an oxo cube in the water or summat else to your liking and hey presto you are also making a very tasty base for your gravy.
  • Options
    this talk of juicy chicken has made me hungry
  • Options
    What yoghurt did you use? Maybe it wasn't acidic enough??
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blah_x2
    this talk of juicy chicken has made me hungry
    me too1
    i'm off to the kitchen.
  • Options
    according to my trusty safeway mag, marinades need 3 elements - oils, flavourings and acids.

and it's better to marinade them for 2 hours at room temperature (covered) than 24 hours in the fridge, apparently.
  • Options
    You could always try slowly cooking it in a crock pot. Cooking it slowly in the marinade, allowing it time to be absorbed. Believe me, then chicken will be so tender and crumbly. :yum: You can just cook the chicken without the marinade too. Just put a little water in to stop it drying out.
    My Mum has crock pot cooking sussed now, and can make beautiful tender meat in it now. She often leaves it on for 10-15 hrs (depending upon what she's cooking, and what results she wants).