Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Its official that people in the Nort East

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
..........are the most generous !!!

Yes the following is copied from my local newspaper www.thisisthenortheast.co.uk

PEOPLE in the North-East put their southern counterparts to shame in the generosity stakes, research published last night shows.

While the high-fliers of London are the most miserly in the country when it comes to giving to good causes, the good people of Sunderland are officially the most charitable.

The city's residents were named the kindest in the land by a major survey - despite many struggling to afford their donations.

Experian, commissioned by The Giving Campaign, found that donations to charity were most prevalent among people living in council houses.

They are least likely to come from the affluent households of London and the South-East.

Sunderland topped the table of 114 towns and cities for its kindliness, closely followed by Blackpool, Motherwell, Dundee and Newcastle.

Teesside is ranked the 12th most charitable area, with Durham 20th and Darlington 23rd.

By contrast, despite their comparative wealth, stingy Londoners sit rock bottom of the league, with Harrogate, in North Yorkshire, languishing in 90th place.

Amanda Delew, director of The Giving Campaign, said: "It is staggering to think that, although the better-off have more money than ever, it is the poorer people in society who are giving their money to good causes. While there are many wealthy people who do give to charity, often very generously, there are too many who don't.

"I'd like to see people across the UK working to generate a culture of giving, where it is natural for people - particularly the wealthy - to give generously towards the good causes they care about."

The survey found that people most likely to give to charity were those in council housing, relying on state benefits, earning a low rate of income, unemployed or retired.

Those least likely to donate were higher-rate taxpayers, with spacious homes and expensive leisure interests.

Young professionals, mainly living in inner city areas with no children, were also prone to not dipping into their pockets for good causes.

So I will say it again people who have hardly any money are less tighter than people who are loaded. Thats why some people are rich because they wont part with money.

What do you think ?

Comments

• Options
    It is very interesting to compare the level of charitable giving here with that of America.

They give MANY many times more than us.

I think it has a lot to do with the way the Government is seen here. It is now so meddling, so all encompasing that just paying taxes is seen as enough.

Where as in the US because of the wierd tax system it in many cases comes down to the choice of giving it to charity or the government, and they choose charities.

In terms of social good one could well argue that the high earner/high tax givers do a greater level of good than the poor north easterners. They pay for people on disability, they pay for the sick, the weak....etc.

But this does somewhat twist the concept of charitable giving.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    In terms of social good one could well argue that the high earner/high tax givers do a greater level of good than the poor north easterners. They pay for people on disability, they pay for the sick, the weak....etc.

No we aint all on disability here you know ;)

Regardless of where people come from, even though Sunderland came out top in that survey I genuinely beleive people on low incomes really do give more to charity.
  • Options
    Yes, they do, but my point was that by paying the taxes that, on average the North East uses more of they are probably doing more social good.
  • Options
    pah we beat j00 anyday.
  • Options
    What on Earth does "j00" mean?
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    What on Earth does "j00" mean?

you
  • Options
    Oh, ok.
  • Options
    tight southern gits! and it's them wots always moaning about paying tax!
  • Options
    rach006.jpg

Rachel owns all.
  • Options
    And thats relevent...how?

(she looks a bit podgy in that photo, are the dimensions right?)
  • Options
    I've never actually actively given to charity. But I did give my change from dinner to the rainbows box. Mind you, I'm still only 16 so maybe when I'm earning a bit more?
  • Options
    The less money you appear to have, the better you look. ;)