Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Dogs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
OK I have a majour fear of dogs. Anyway last tuesday I was walking the mile back to my house after getting off the bus and was going through this villiage and then this dog start to chase me and was barking and growling.

Does anyone agree that dogs who have a tendancy to do that to passer bys should be kept locked in the garden? Or is it just me?

Comments

• Options
    I think all dogs should be kept locked up or on a leash when they're out because all dogs, no matter how cute and fluffy have the capability to 'turn' when frightened etc.
  • Options
    This dog was on the front door outside and spotted me and ran after me. I was so scared :(
  • Options
    I agree. our neighbours keep letting there dog out in our street,

It almost got run over twise this past week alone, and it also keep pissing on my bloody garden

As much as I love them they should always keep them on a lead when walking in a public area,

we take out lil mutt over the back fields behind my house and let him off.. that I think is ok though.. he's never hurt no one.. he couldn't.. he just licks people lol..
  • Options
    Originally posted by *lil~miss*
    This dog was on the front door outside and spotted me and ran after me. I was so scared :(

I know how you feel, I am generally not very fond of dogs. Espeically exitable ones.
  • Options
    I hate when they jump up on me.
  • Options
    I got attacked by a staff once, it attacked me and my dog.

My dog is a stupid ginger mongrel but it gave it a right go, the owner is the local idiot.
  • Options
    See if you got bitten by a dog can you get the owner into trouble?
  • Options
    Originally posted by CheeseOnToast
    I got attacked by a staff once, it attacked me and my dog.

My dog is a stupid ginger mongrel but it gave it a right go, the owner is the local idiot.

Jeez I hate those dogs. Why do people have them? :confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    Jeez I hate those dogs. Why do people have them? :confused:

because they're supposedly hard....

We have a lil cross breed mongrel thing that has more types of dog in him than there is flavors of crips

most dogs are nice.. mine will just run circles arond u lol..
  • Options
    Yeah the guy who owns it is a local dealer, scumbag.

I didn't report him, it's not worth the hassle, he knows I was pissed off..

He's a fucking arsehole anyway, I can't wait to move.
  • Options
    Someone answer my question please.
  • Options
    Originally posted by *lil~miss*
    Someone answer my question please.

I agree - if my dog jumps up on people (everyday) it gets a bloody shout at it !
  • Options
    I know that here in Iceland if a dog is reported twice or thrice (not sure which it is) to the police it must be put down. Although I guess it does depend on the seriousness of the bite (if it is very serious, I doubt they'd wait).

But you shouldn't need to be bitten in order to report the dog. That's just silly. Although we have quite strict laws as technically dogs are still illegal here in the city. ;)
  • Options
    My sister was attacked by a dog and my dad and her mum got the police who ordered the woman to keep the dog on a lead but she never has :/ and the owner can get in trouble lil~miss.
  • Options
    my mums got a westie that im not to fond of, he has a tendancy to turn nasty i seconds, he bit me last may and i needed two stitches, if id gone on the day it happend it would of been 5, an my mum still wont get rid of his:( he often has a go at the postman, who has told my mum that its £1000 compo a stitch :eek:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Hellfire
    because they're supposedly hard....

excuse me but i have two dogs who are both part staffy, mother and daughter. we got the mother from the cat and dog home not so we would look hard but because she was to be put to sleep the next day and she was a sorry sight. little did we know she was pregnant and we ended up with 6 pups. we kept one.
    mother is brindle and everyone thinks she is fierce because of this, daughter is white and tan with big ears so does not look so much like a staffy but still has the build but everyone thinks she is all cute and cuddly. both are as soft as shit and wouldnt hurt a fly, its peoples dumb ass attitudes!

dont tar the dogs or thier owners all with the same brush, think before you open your gobs, thats to everyone with your crap attitude!
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    I think all dogs should be kept locked up or on a leash when they're out because all dogs, no matter how cute and fluffy have the capability to 'turn' when frightened etc.

i totally agree with this but not with your opinions of staffys.
  • Options
    Originally posted by wee wuman
    excuse me but i have two dogs who are both part staffy, mother and daughter. both are as soft as shit and wouldnt hurt a fly, its peoples dumb ass attitudes!

staffies are lovely dogs.

but they are also very strong and very clever. trouble with these kinds of dogs (see also rottweiler, doberman...) is that they can be easily trained to be vicious. domestic dogs are not naturally vicious animals. they become that way through training, or through abuse.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin

but they are also very strong and very clever. trouble with these kinds of dogs (see also rottweiler, doberman...) is that they can be easily trained to be vicious. domestic dogs are not naturally vicious animals. they become that way through training, or through abuse.

very very true. it is the owners that make these dogs vicious! my two are loved and cared for and are two very loving dogs. my mums friend had two full staffys and they too were treated well and wouldnt hurt a fly unless provoked as with any dog.
    peoples attitudes to staffys make me so angry :mad:
  • Options
    I'm not scared of dogs, I have 2 big dogs myself so they don't bother me. However I don't like stray dogs. :(
  • Options
    very very true. it is the owners that make these dogs vicious! my two are loved and cared for and are two very loving dogs. my mums friend had two full staffys and they too were treated well and wouldnt hurt a fly unless provoked as with any dog.

My Gran and Grandad had a Staff and he ran away and because people thought he was vicious they called out the Dog Warden :( He wouldn't have hurt anyone. He was the best dog there ever was.
  • Options

Let me explain.... if you get a staff and train it vicious... it'll be nice.. if you train it nasty it'll be nasty but if you train a staff and a labrador to be vicious in the same methods the staff will be more vicious...

My mum use to look dogs and worked in kenals.. we even had a staff but they are natrauly more powerfull.. hense they can be more vicious.. they also look fiece so people buy them to deture intruders

Any dog can be nice.. any dog can be bad.. depends on 3 key factors, the owner, thr trainer,conditions its kept in
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin

Thats what I ment.. it's like we're getting a new dog as we always have two, and it's either going to be a German shepard or alsation (sp) and they can be naturally more vicious but it won't be vicious due to training it.
  • Options
    Thats what I ment.. it's like we're getting a new dog as we always have two, and it's either going to be a German shepard or alsation (sp) and they can be naturally more vicious but it won't be vicious due to training it.

How do you know that? It depends on the nature of the dog. If a human has a nasty nature they're not going to be nice just because you tell them.
  • Options
    i love my dog to bits and wouldn't dream of letting her roam free!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jazza Bing
    How do you know that? It depends on the nature of the dog. If a human has a nasty nature they're not going to be nice just because you tell them.

It's never to late to change a dog... We rescued this Ex racer greyhound who was a lovely dog.. vicious because of what happened but with a bit of love and care he turned out great... only problem is he kept chasing rabbits :)

if someones nasty to a dog it'll be nasty itself.. if someones nice.. they'll be a nice dog..
  • Options
    Let me explain.... if you get a staff and train it vicious... it'll be nice.. "

" they also look fiece so people buy them to deture intruders"

first bit does not make sense i think you will agree.

and we didnt get ours to deter intruders we got ours because we wanted her!
  • Options
    Let me explain.... if you get a staff and train it vicious... it'll be nice.. "

" they also look fiece so people buy them to deture intruders"

first bit does not make sense i think you will agree.

and we didnt get ours to deter intruders we got ours because we wanted her!

I fucked the first bit up :blush: and yea.. staffs are lovely if they're trained.. if not.. well they're commonly vicious by nature.
  • Options
    my two have never been trained so that theory is pish!
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    well they're commonly vicious by nature.

What a load of bollocks.

I have a Staffy and an English bull terrier and both are completey sound. They're are physically very strong and strong willed but the biggest influnece in a dogs behaviour is it's master.

And I hardly ever have mine on a lead. They're good when I go shooting, good when I go riding and they're good when I walk them in public on the forest. Obviously there are some individual dogs that shouldn't be allowed to run free but to say that no dog should be off the lead is OTT.
    Weekender Offender