Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

I.B.S Question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Can certain types of food change your status with the diarrhoea and consipation?

I've been ok for about 2months now and today i've had Nando's (chicken and peri peri chips)

will this effect my stools? as i now have a very bad feeling i will be shitty for england tonight... has this happened to any of you?

Comments

• Options
    depends on the individual. spicy food sets some people off. others are more sensitive to dairy or wheat, or other things.
  • Options
    Any foreign food like chinease, indian etc can set my stomach off, its horrible :(
  • Options
    Garlic and fatty foods do it for me. I love kebabs but know that if I eat one then I will feel like crap in a couple of hours - and the following morning.

Still, price worth paying, I say.
  • Options
    IBS - may help!
  • Options
    Bananas do it for me now :(. I don't have ibs tho.
  • Options
    spicy and fatty foods always set me off. But i'm like Man Of Kent, there comes a time when you have to eat that kebab and say sod it i'll be ill tomorrow (usually i only do this when very rat arsed) :)
  • Options
    I have IBS and I find that wheat products set me off or really fatty foods.
  • Options
    i havnt found a particular food that kicks off my ibs, my ibs just does its own thing.
  • Options
    Dont you hate it when your stomach rumbles then 10-20 mins later you need to rush to the loo and crap like crazy...

damn i hate i.b.s.....
  • Options
    Ditto so do I.
  • Options
    Im having an attack now :( I feel so crappy and bloated and yuk plus I can't stay off the loo.
  • Options
    I went to some other site once for specific info about I.B.S and i started talking to some people have it bad and most of them have been written off work for a few months bcoz they cant get off the loo.... i felt quite lucky compared to these people. but its still a pain when you have to deal with it at work and cant sleep bcoz of it etc.
  • Options
    I find the hardest thing about Ibs is the fact it's such an unsociable illness. I keep it to myself and only my cloest friends know and even then they don't know the full extent of it.
  • Options
    I tell whoever need be. i dont keep it a secret but then again it is a bit embarassing....

how long have you all had it for? ive had it about 2 years now.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Carolina
    I find the hardest thing about Ibs is the fact it's such an unsociable illness. I keep it to myself and only my cloest friends know and even then they don't know the full extent of it.

Im like that, i tell a few people, but not loads, i feel so awful aswel when i go round to people's houses and turn down food :(
  • Options
    Ah i manage to avoid that problem most of the time. If i do eat anywhere it's usually at mates/with mates so i'm okay. Most people just assume i watch my figure when i opt for salads or things like that. Although that can cause the famous "are you eating properly" conversation :) Damned if i'm telling all and sundry my business so i usually end up getting branded ignorant after i get a bit grumpy about answering :lol:

I have to admit though and say one of the main things which made mine worse was the pill. I've just swapped to the mini-pill and the change between the before tablet and after is noticable.
  • Options
    How does the pill have an effect on IBS?
  • Options

god, i know exactly what you mean. i don't think people get how ill it makes me, cause the symptoms i have are not exactly the kind of things you like to share.

say to someone you were up all night throwing up, and they'll have all the sympathy in the world for you. but try telling someone you've been up 3 nights in a row crapping your brains out and see how quickly a conversation can die.
    how long have you all had it for?

about 15 years. but it's only started to get really bad the last 5 years or so. pain in the arse. pun intended.
  • Options
    Originally posted by *lil~miss*
    How does the pill have an effect on IBS?
    Had it about 7 years now.
    Because unfortunately when i took the combined pill for two years i ended up pretty ill from it but didn't realize until an optician told me (strange but true) that the pill could be causing my health problems. In some cases the pill can cause nausea/stomach problems, not sure how but it did. So for someone with ibs it can lead to bad problems.

I can pretty much cure my ibs with diet regulation and exercise but now taking the mini pill i am starting to suffer again. Bah fecking being female is shite :)

Kaffrin, know exactly what you mean. People tend to swerve towards the fact that i'm thin, exercise and eat healthly and believe (wrongly) that i have some sort of disorder. I can't be arsed with explaining the truth as it's not something i'm particuarly fond of conversing about :rolleyes:

How have people gone about telling their partners when trying to explain the situation?
  • Options
    How have people gone about telling their partners when trying to explain the situation?

have found it best to try and make jokes about it. and being totally honest works too. with mr. kaff, he was aware of it right from the word go, and i warn him if he might need to evacuate the room or open a window. we have a laugh about it, and then we get on with life.

you have an illness. it's not your fault. if they don't understand, that's their problem.
  • Options
    I remember I had it really bad when I was at my bfs for the week (I didn't know what was wrong with me then) and I was forever at the toilet I think his parents thought I was very strange and I felt really uncomortable.
  • Options
    Does anyone take any tablets for their IBS? I bought some today to see if they would help.
  • Options
    i dont take pills. but i did take these horrible fibre drinks for a while which were f**kin nasty!

but it depends which i.b.s you have, and that depends on what actions are taken.

i have ibs -c
    is that what you have lil-miss? if so what are u taking
  • Options
    Does anyone take any tablets for their IBS? I bought some today to see if they would help.

i get prescribed colofac pretty much permanently, which helps with cramps quite spectacularly. you can buy it OTC as 'colofac IBS', but it's quite expensive, i think.

peppermint oil is said to help, but i think only works for quite mild attacks, as had no effect at all on me. except it tasted lovely when i burped!

i also get stemetil for nausea attacks, and loperamide (sp?) for, um, other attacks.

and remegel is your friend if heartburn strikes.
  • Options
    colofac IBS that is what I picked up it was like £5.25 or something. I tried to get an appointment with the doc but their system is rubbish and i was desperate for something that would help me.

I have no idea what type of IBS I have.
  • Options
    I have no idea what type of IBS I have.

Well.... ibs-c is just constipation

ibs-d is diarrhea

ibs-a is alternative between c & d

and i think ibs-b is bloated but im not sure on that one.

this might help you figure out which one u are...
    i used to be c but have sort of grown out of it a little bit by watching my diet.
  • Options
    *is completely confused*

Aimz erm where did all the letters come from?

IBS is basically all those things rolled into one is it not? Well going along that i used to be IBS - A (as in all of them)

I don't bother with tablets, tried about four different types and gave up. Especially when the doctors prescribed colofac, went back two months later after no go and the doctor re-prescribed them even after i said they didn't work :rolleyes: wank*** honestly. I'd probably go towards the herbal remedies myself things like peppermint, ginger or charcoal tablets. I always did find if i took proper tablets like imodium that it would work for a day and then come back twice as bad the day after. Hypnosis is supposed to be good as a lot of IBS is triggered by panic and nerves (mine used to be).
  • Options
    Carolina, i shouldnt of mentioned all that letter crap, i went to this ibs site once when i first started to discover that i had ibs,

i had many questions one which was: Is there one specific type of ibs? and they told me the a / c / d thing to make me understand easier, so when someone spoke about their type of ibs (if you had more constipation than diarrhea) you would relate to that specific thread instead of wasting hours trying to find someone to relate to....

so in a sense there is different types of ibs, but there are different types of nearly everything, so i wouldnt be surprised if there were more types...

Sorry if i confused you sweetie
  • Options
    Ah i understand now, sorry had a real thick day today.
  • Options
    I have mostly just diarrhea and bloating although sometimes I get constipation. Gonna go to the docs and see what he can give me.