Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Fox news vs. Ofcom

Fox news has been citicised by OFCOM for its anti-BBC comments.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/3805691.stm
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Look forward to some ranting in the Scum soon then...

Hearing Fox complain of bias is akin to hearing President Mugabe complain about human right abuses.

Murdoch is another one for whom champagne corks will be flying in abundance when he finally pops his clogs.

The event will come not a millisecond too soon.
  • Options
    He's just bitter because the BBC is much bigger and FAR more respected than his new organisation will ever be. And rightly so.
  • Options
    Gibson has a reply:

Proud to Be Censored by the Brits

It invites correspondence. Mine was:

'Hi,

John Gibson: 'Look... censure if you must, oh mighty Great Britain. But you will not change the truth. The Beeb reporter I was speaking of lied. He didn't distort or exaggerate — he lied.'

You'll have read this dozens of times before, in various forms, but I just had to give it a go...

Andrew Gilligan, specifically, said in a live interview with the 'Today' programme presenter that the British government knew that claims made in the so-called 'dodgy dossier' were 'wrong'. He should have said 'dubious', or 'vague', but he said 'wrong', which wasn't in his script which had been cleared for broadcast. This is the key to the government's case against him, and it wasn't even picked up until weeks after the broadcast. The original fuss came about because Gilligan named Alistair Campbell in an article in the Sunday Mail relating to the 'sexing up' of the dossier. The Mail has never, to my knowledge, been threatened with court action by Campbell over this article. The BBC on the other hand, because of a slip in a single report at 6:07am, is raked over the coals.

Present your evidence of 'dripping anti-Americanism' in Beeb broadcasts, oh mighty John Gibson. I'm sure Fox News items are entirely devoid of anti-war faction sarcasm...

Cheers, Joe K'
  • Options
    He doesnt try at all to back up his views, its pure comment with not any quotes, not facts no nothing.

Is this what passes as news at FOX? I presume so.

Its depressing and shocking yet, I'm not actually surprised.

FOX is the most watched news channel in the US you know.
  • Options
    Which is why the preponderance of my countrymen are so utterly wrapped up in defending their precious right wing ideologues despite continuous revelation of the extent to which this admin has lied repeatedly to generate public support for its criminal aspirations.

The rest of the world can but look on in utter amazement at the depth of ignorance of both world affairs and the role of Washington in those affairs which continues to be demonstrated by those desperately attempting to defend their ideological heros from the accounting which is long overdue!
  • Options
    Although having said that, I thought the media there was awful and very biased when I was there last.

But according to people I know there it is gradually changing, there have been more comments on CNN and in the bigger news papers pointing out problems.

And citicisim of the Government isnt always deemed unpatriotic anymore.
  • Options
    Regardless of what it is "deemed", the press has indeed proven itself a more willing accomplice than rightful scrutinizer (the 4th estate) of any administration's deceits and that IS the real example of "unpatriotic".

One can only say, "it took the US media long enough to bother actually investigating the truth of what's going on at the top" if such a sea change in reporting is truly occurring. Sadly, i still see a predominance of commentary invited from such dens of neo-con misinformation as the Heritage Foundation and American Enterprise Institute over any sound and objective analysis from those outside neo-con circles (yes even on CNN as well).

All the more reason why I strongly advocate mandatory 1-2 year foreign study programs for ALL American youth, that they might come to see just how filtered, santised and propaganda ridden US mainstream reporting truly is.
  • Options
    Oh for sure, I'm not really saying there has been drastic improvements but gradual changes do appear to be happening.

It is still far more restrictive than here though.

But, on the plus side a HUGE number of Americans get their news from the BBC online site.
  • Options
    Perhaps in our urban education centers they watch the BEEB, but i wouldn't bet much money on the vast heartland seeking out much more than the drivel spewed by Faux News. That is, after all, the bastion of neo-conservatism and the recent upsurge of such types here demonstrates the kind of endless loop ideological indoctrination to which they continue to subscribe.
  • Options
    Well I'm going to try and hope, just a little. You seem to have given that up as a lost cause.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    But, on the plus side a HUGE number of Americans get their news from the BBC online site.
    Yep, Murdoch knows who he has to target for derision.

And CNN is described by American conservatives as the 'Communist News Network' (clever wording, cheers...).
  • Options
    Have you seen CNN headline news recently, talk about dumbing down!

God, FOX news is so popular there isnt place in the market for a proper news channel anymore.
  • Options
    Even though it regularly hosts far more right wing polemic than anything remotely balanced or critical of the neo-con take over of Washington.