Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

smoking and the pill

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
well im on the combined pill but it says u shouldnt use it if your a smoker. now i dont know if id be classed as a smoker as i only smoke joints a couple at the weekend, but what effect does this have on the pill? (if you get what i meen)

Comments

• Options
    You really need to ask a GP/Pharmacist about this.

Whilst smoking tobacco may have one effect, smoke grass may react in a different way. You needn't worry about being reported for illegal behaviour, they will be more worried about your health and confidentiality means that they cannot discuss this with anyone without your permission/a court order.

Alternatively contact the drug manufacturers direct, you can maintain an element of anonymity that way...
  • Options
    i wud do that but im only 15 and if i went doctors my mum would want to know why i was just hoping for a quick answer on here.
  • Options
    if you are a smoker and you are on the pill, your risk of developing deep vein thrombosis is greater.
  • Options
    Im on the combined pill too and I smoke about 10 a day sometimes more. Basically yeah as Kaffrin said it highers the risk or deep vein thrombosis and such. WHen I first went on it they told me that I should try to pack up smoking or at least cut down.
  • Options
    so apart from that its ok for me to smoke a couple of joints at the weekend and it will not have any other effect on my pill
  • Options
    nah it doesnt so much have an effect on the pill just the side effects it can cause. Read the little instruction thing that comes in the box with the pills, it should all be on there!! ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by PRETTYgreenEYES
    i wud do that but im only 15 and if i went doctors my mum would want to know why i was just hoping for a quick answer on here.

If you are on the pill then you should get redular blood pressure checks anyway. Why not use one of these appointments to ask this question?
  • Options
    Re: smoking and the pill

• Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    If you are on the pill then you should get redular blood pressure checks anyway. Why not use one of these appointments to ask this question?
    Yes, good point. Next time you go for your prescription ask the nurse/doctor!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent

They only do mine every 6 months which is a long way to wait to ask if it wasnt long ago.
    Maybe other areas are different.
  • Options
    My mate smokes joints a lot, and shes had no effects, and she is on the combined pill. :)