Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Holiday tummy

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi, this may seem really stupid, but I'm going abroad in a week to Russia and we've been warned not to drink tap water/eat certaoin foods etc...the thing is I have emetophobia (fear of vomiting) and am absolutely petrified that I will get "holiday tummy"...I've bought stuff from the chemist but really dont want to ruin my holiday by worrying constantly. The worst thing is we're staying with families over there and I cant refuse to eat everything they cook just in case I get ill...any advice?! Are there any anti vomiting drugs you can buy over the counter or do you think I should talk to my doctor? I really want to enjoy this trip but this is hanging over me...help!

Comments

• Options
    Most tummy probelms tend to be from the other end, so I wouldn't be so worried if I was you. And take some Immodium!

Ask your pharmacist about anti-vomit medication because they'll know best and stick to bottled water and avoid salads if you can. Most cooked foods will be okay...
  • Options
    you can buy motilium over the counter, which is a pretty effective anti-emetic. pepto-bismol - that thick pink stuff, is also really effective, but drinking it just makes me gag, so defeats the object.

you could go see your doctor, but i've found that very few of them take you seriously.

if you stick to cooked food, and pretty harmless things like bread, you'll be fine. you could always pretend to be veggie, so you don't have to have any meat, as it's incredibly hard to be poisoned by veggies.
  • Options
    My mum gives me 'Stemitil' I think it is, not sure about the spelling tho.. prounounced..stemital. I think you can get it over the counter...

Ilora x
  • Options
    Originally posted by Ilora-Danon
    My mum gives me 'Stemitil' I think it is, not sure about the spelling tho.. prounounced..stemital. I think you can get it over the counter...

no, you can't. it's prescription only. and you shouldn't take it without being seen by the doctor first, cause it can have some nasty side effects.
  • Options
    Oh well, I've not had any problems - my whole family take them if/when we need them lol.

Ilora x
  • Options
    Here's a feature that gives some tips on safe food and drink abroad.
    :)