Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

NHS Prescriptions - Season Tickets

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I just saw on TV you can buy a season ticket for your prescriptions rather then pay £6.50p a time for each medicine.

Comments

• Options
    Re: NHS Prescriptions - Season Tickets
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    I just saw on TV you can buy a season ticket for your prescriptions rather then pay £6.50p a time for each medicine.
    This isn't a new thing.

It costs £90.40 for a year, which if you get a lot of medication is a massive saving. Of course it costs the NHS millions a year to sell medications at such a subsidised rate but I completely agree with the scheme.

And its actually £6.40 for a prescription, not £6.50 :p
  • Options
    No good to me as i don't pay for mine but i guess its a good idea.
    Not sure if i could afford to fork out £90.40 though in one go if i wasnt exempt.
  • Options
    I was watching This Morning today and they were saying that if you need a prescription sometimes its cheaper to get a pivate prescription from your doctor. If you reguarly need something you can check with the pharmasist if its cheaper to buy with a private prescription (the doctor on This Morning reckons many things would be a lot cheaper).
    Your doctor cannot charge you for a private prescription if its for everyday things that you need like antibiotics, pain releif etc etc.
    So if you know you are gonna need a prescription check with the pharmacy as to wether it will be cheaper getting a private prescription.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    I was watching This Morning today and they were saying that if you need a prescription sometimes its cheaper to get a pivate prescription from your doctor. If you reguarly need something you can check with the pharmasist if its cheaper to buy with a private prescription (the doctor on This Morning reckons many things would be a lot cheaper).
    Your doctor cannot charge you for a private prescription if its for everyday things that you need like antibiotics, pain releif etc etc.
    So if you know you are gonna need a prescription check with the pharmacy as to wether it will be cheaper getting a private prescription.

So whats a private prescription? Whats the difference from a normal one?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tweety
    So whats a private prescription? Whats the difference from a normal one?

the normal one is on a green paper (i think), the example they showed was like a letter. The doctor writes your name, address etc etc and underneath writes the prescription.
    just ask the doc for a private prescription and he has to give you it and he cant charge.

Also what they said was something about when you are buying stuff over the counter never buy the brand names without checking the cheaper ones. They did an example of buying several named brands of medicine against not so well know ones. Both medicines work the same and would treat you exactly like the brand names and I beleive there was about twenty quid difference in price. The doctor said when you go to the chemist ask them what the 'generic' equivalent is (I think thats how you spell it), the pharmasist should tell you the cheaper version.
  • Options
    just ask the doc for a private prescription and he has to give you it and he cant charge.

He can refuse. A GP doesn't have to prescribe you anything if they don't want to. It is up to them.
  • Options
    the normal one is on a green paper (i think), the example they showed was like a letter. The doctor writes your name, address etc etc and underneath writes the prescription.

It makes no difference for me, i just wondered what the difference is. For what reason would they give you a private one?

Other than it being on a different bit of paper whats the difference?
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    He can refuse. A GP doesn't have to prescribe you anything if they don't want to. It is up to them.

Maybe i worded that wrong. If you need a prescription and your doctor normally gives you a normal prescription and you find out that the product you need is cheaper by private prescription then you can ask for a private prescription and he cannot charge you for that facility.

Tweety, i dunno about what exactly s the difference.....apart from you can get it cheaper smetimes.
  • Options
    It makes no difference for me, i just wondered what the difference is. For what reason would they give you a private one?

Other than it being on a different bit of paper whats the difference?

Usually private prescriptions are for items that are not available at a subsidised rate on the NHS. There are some drugs which cannot be prescribed on the NHS and in order to obtain them you need what is called a private prescription.

There are so few items that cost less that the cost of a prescription that if you were to ask your GP for a private prescription for most items you would end up paying more if you get what I mean.
  • Options
    Tweety, i dunno about what exactly s the difference.....apart from you can get it cheaper smetimes.

Ah ok :). Perhaps Kiezo could tell me as he knows everything.;). heh
  • Options
    There are so few items that cost less that the cost of a prescription that if you were to ask your GP for a private prescription for most items you would end up paying more if you get what I mean.

Now the Doctor on This Morning reckoned many could be bought cheaper :confused:
  • Options
    Usually private prescriptions are for items that are not available at a subsidised rate on the NHS. There are some drugs which cannot be prescribed on the NHS and in order to obtain them you need what is called a private prescription.

Are the pink ones you get froma dentist private ones? Or just different bits of paper?

Sorry i'm being a pain now.
  • Options
    Are the pink ones you get froma dentist private ones? Or just different bits of paper?

i'm think they're just normal ones, and that the colour is to show a prescription from somewhere other than your doctor.

like if you get a prescription from a hospital it's often a different colour, and when i used to see the psychiatrist, i had orange prescription forms.

about these season ticket type things - is it possible to get one for less than a year? say for a 6 month period?
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    about these season ticket type things - is it possible to get one for less than a year? say for a 6 month period?

Yeah you can get them for 4 months for about £30. However, you need to be getting at least five items on prescription at a time I think.
  • Options
    Yeah you can get them for 4 months for about £30. However, you need to be getting at least five items on prescription at a time I think.

hmm. it's cause the lady i work with gets really bad hayfever, and has to get pills + eye drops + nose spray from about april til the end of summer, which is like £20 a month. but the rest of the year she's dead healthy and has nothing.

i shall encourage her to develop a couple more complaints :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin

I have been on the This Morning website trying to find info out, but for some reason cant find what im looking for, even though they said info would be on there.
  • Options
    Just found This

Loads of info there :)

link is stuffed :(
  • Options
    Good link Becky, better than relying on what I've picked up esp. right now 'cos my brain is frazzled!
    PS. You need to take the first set of http out though!
  • Options
    There are many items prescribed which cost less than £6.40, however your pharmacist is not supposed to suggest the cheaper way to you.

One of the reasons being that this helps subside the more expensive items. Basically, if we all just paid the lowest price then prescription charges would increase...

Personally, I am also exempt. Gotta love thyroxine...
  • Options
    Now the Doctor on This Morning reckoned many could be bought cheaper :confused:
    Yeah, 'cos the NHS charge a "flat rate" of £6.40 but some meds are worth less. Privately, you pay what it's worth.
  • Options
    Originally posted by piccolo
    Yeah, 'cos the NHS charge a "flat rate" of £6.40 but some meds are worth less. Privately, you pay what it's worth.

As MoK pointed out, the higher prices for some items subsidises more expensive ones which are sold 'at loss'. I think this is fair, because in the course of your lifetime you're likely to both underpay and overpay, so it'll tend to even out in the end. I always ask the pharmacist if the item I've been prescribed is available over the counter without prescription though my GP will usually advise me to buy my own if he knows that it is.
  • Options
    As MoK pointed out, the higher prices for some items subsidises more expensive ones which are sold 'at loss'. I think this is fair, because in the course of your lifetime you're likely to both underpay and overpay, so it'll tend to even out in the end.
    I know, I was just answering Becky's point. Seriously I'm all in favour of the NHS whatever people may say!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Personally, I am also exempt. Gotta love thyroxine...

Same reason as me, i think it sucks that if its overactive people have to pay though.
  • Options
    though my GP will usually advise me to buy my own if he knows that it is.

Same here.
  • Options
    Same reason as me, i think it sucks that if its overactive people have to pay though.

Nah, screw them, they subsidise me :p

Seriously there are too many people who don't have our kind of exemption, including diabetics which I've always thought strange...

BTW Even without the thyroid you would still be exempt, or is your little one a year old yet?
  • Options
    Nah, screw them, they subsidise me :p

Seriously there are too many people who don't have our kind of exemption, including diabetics which I've always thought strange...

BTW Even without the thyroid you would still be exempt, or is your little one a year old yet?

I am actually exempt for three reasons at the mo lol, thyroid, new mummy & tax credit thing.:D
  • Options
    I am actually exempt for three reasons at the mo lol, thyroid, new mummy & tax credit thing.:D

Git that one nicely sewn up then, haven't you.

Makes filling in the exemption part of a prescription fun though...
  • Options
    Citalopram 10mg for 28 days supply costs the NHS £9.64 and the prescription cost is £6.40. Just think how much anti-depressants cost the NHS a year! :eek:
  • Options
    Git that one nicely sewn up then, haven't you.

Makes filling in the exemption part of a prescription fun though...

Heh yup, at the moment i tick either maternity exemption or medical, its easier than the other one, plus i am not sure what it comes under lol.
    How long you been diagnosed btw?
  • Options
    well until I saw the TV programme I didn't know such a scheme even existed so just wanted to help make people awre who might otherwise not be, I did know a lot about the generics.

I have one friend in particular that thinks more money paid for an intem is always a sign it must be better