Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

on the matter of smoking

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Did anyone see the tonight programme the other day where they had Jodie Marsh, Alex Best, and Suranna Jones on the show talking about how they are smokers but want to give up, they talked about why they do it, how long they have done it etc. They talked about rememdies to getting you to give up, they mentioned the lieks of the Alan Carr method, for which it did not work for 2 of the said above people, but worked for one of them.

I also have a question to the smokers on here :

Who here smokes? If you do, and saw this program did it make you realise how bad it was for you and make you want to stop? Why do you smoke when you know how bad it is for you, and knowing your getting no advantage from it, only negatives?

Debate :)

Comments

• Options
    I quit smoking fags again today funnily enough, I enjoy smoking but lately I've been getting fit and it's making my chest minging. Also with the baby coming I don't want to be a smoker, it's too awkward and makes me feel bad now !!

I still smoke joints though..but I figure at least it's something, eh?
  • Options
    I have never smoked a thing in my life. And, I intend to keep it that way!!

Ilora x
  • Options
    What about the old skin cigar ??
  • Options
    Originally posted by Ilora-Danon

:yes: same here.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by Ilora-Danon
    I'm one more of that. No rational reason to smoke anything anyway.
  • Options
    I've had like a half dozen fags all my puff. Haha. Warra luvleh pun. :D
  • Options
    I did start but it was the sovial thing in a pub so i stopped as i didn't wanna get addicted-so i quit by using bubble gum!
  • Options
    Originally posted by CheeseOnToast
    What about the old skin cigar ??

Thats fantastic, and it seems to have sailed way above the heads of the others. V. Funny mate.

Smoking? Hmm, I did for a while when I was about 17, then quit cold turkey, it was a foul experience so I've never started again.
  • Options
    Re: on the matter of smoking
    Originally posted by Richeh

Who here smokes? If you do, and saw this program did it make you realise how bad it was for you and make you want to stop? Why do you smoke when you know how bad it is for you, and knowing your getting no advantage from it, only negatives?

Okay i didn't see the program so i'll not debate the program but answer your questions anyway :)

It's rather like saying why do people drive at 110mph down a motorway when they know it's more dangerous? Why does someone go down the pub and binge drink 12 pints of lager when they know it's going to mutilate their liver? Why do people do drugs when they know it's going to affect their health and minds? Why do people gamble their lives away by placing bets of £10,000?

Unfortunately it's an addiction, one which the majority of us would like to stop but find it nigh on impossible to. Without ever having had this addiction it is very hard to explain what it feels like not having a fag and the gut wrenching cravings you get for one.
  • Options
    I have a 20+ a day habit, which i would gladly like to get rid of.
    I, as with most smokers, am well aware of the dangers of smoking, just quitting feels impossible.

I did not see this program in particular, but I have seen many different types of media which present the dangers of smoking and the huge risk it has on health. Smoking addiction is very strong, it is very hard to describe the cravings when you don't have a cigarette. It all becomes part of a routine, eg a fag in the morning or on your breaks at work. This causes a stronger and stronger psychological addiction to be built which is very difficult to break.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Thats fantastic, and it seems to have sailed way above the heads of the others. V. Funny mate.
    like playing the pink oboe?
  • Options
    I went through a stage of smoking lots, ive cut down though now and ive *almost* given up! :D
  • Options
    I smoke. On/Off. It started as a social thing. Then progressed due to the addictiveness. Then i quit. Then something stressful happens and I reach for the fags. Repeat cylce four times.Its annoying coz if i'm trying to quit and i'm out i'm always with people who are smoking and after a drink or two when they offer its hard to say no. Yeh I smoke coz i like it. it relaxs me, gives me something to do, takes a break etc etc . Should really quit though.
  • Options
    The real question for most of you is, wtf made you start in the first place? Don't tell me you didn't know it's bad for your health.
  • Options
    I started to smoke marijuana regularly around the age of 16. I used to detest cigarettes until they became the 'next best thing' to a spliff. By 17 I was smoking heavily and now I really wish I wasn't.
  • Options
    I started smoking because it gave me something to do in the breaks during my long classes. Then I just smoked when I was bored. And I got bored alot. I smoked about a pack and a half or so a day until about a month and a half ago. I havn't smoked in two weeks exatly though I'll probably go out and buy a pack tomorrow because I have nothing better to do. I know the health risks. At first it concerned me now I just simply don't give a fuck.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zalbor
    The real question for most of you is, wtf made you start in the first place? Don't tell me you didn't know it's bad for your health.

Do you not do anything that is determined as bad for you? Because you must be an angel then eh !

Have you ever tried telling a 13 year old about health risks? The majority of 13 year olds won't listen because to them old age or dying is light years away. At such a young age it's hard to be sensible and say no to some of the bad things in life because you feel indestructible.

I'm not giving the above as an excuse for my starting smoking it's just to try and make you understand.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zalbor
    The real question for most of you is, wtf made you start in the first place?

Well i'd seen my dad smoke when i was little, and both of my older brothers smoke, well one doesnt anymore. I think it was more social smoking with mates and then got addictive.
  • Options
    Sorry if I offended anyone, I didn't mean to. It's just that this is a very sensitive subject for me, and I hoped that if I managed to understand it it wouldn't be as bad.
    Originally posted by Carolina
    Do you not do anything that is determined as bad for you? Because you must be an angel then eh !
    I'm no "angel" like that. I have done things that I knew were bad, but if something is known to be addictive it's not something that I ever would do, if I was older than 10. I simply haven't managed to understand how people who start smoking think. If you say "dying is too far away" it doesn't make sense, because it's addictive and "far away" will be coming closer with each day, and as long as you keep smoking it will be harder to stop. You knew that, so what? Did you think you had a stronger will than all those people who die of lung cancer every year and you'd be able to stop before you became so addicted?
    Again, sorry if I appear to be attacking you, but that's just my way of writing/talking. I just want to understand.
  • Options
    Well certainly when starting smoking I had an attitude that I was only doing it occassionally and I could easily stop. But it soon gets locked into a routine, gradually needing a cigarette more and more regularly throughout the day.
    Once it has taken root, the addiction only gets stronger. Trying to quit results in cravings at times when you would normally have a fag, if you see someone in the room or on tv smoking a fag (going down the pub is torture) or if you're bored and you would want to smoke a fag, you can't.
    Some people are better at supressing these cravings than others. I have an addictive personality anyway, so quittings going to be difficult, but I feel I must at somepoint in my early adult life.
  • Options
    I smoked a few times but only 'cuz of a social thing, down with all my friends at the bars (like when I was 16)...Then I grew up lol. I never smoke cigarrettes now...:blush: but I have the occasional spliff!
  • Options
    Zalbor, sorry i get a bit tetchy about this subject because the majority of non smokers seem to assume that smokers are just thick idiots and that quitting is as simple as clicking your fingers. Unfortunately it's not and i get a bit pissed off that people won't sit and listen instead of attacking all the time (not meaning you, i mean in general).
    If you say "dying is too far away" it doesn't make sense, because it's addictive and "far away" will be coming closer with each day, and as long as you keep smoking it will be harder to stop. You knew that, so what?

You ever tried telling a headstrong teenager that somethings bad for them. It's a simple case of "nope it will never happen to me". Only the sensible ones listen.
    Did you think you had a stronger will than all those people who die of lung cancer every year and you'd be able to stop before you became so addicted?

You don't think of this part believe me. There's a very small part of you that thinks about the bad side but then the rest gets caught up in the addiction and by that point it's too late.
  • Options
    Re: on the matter of smoking
    Originally posted by Richeh

I do.

I know how bad it is for me.

I smoke because I like the rush.

We will all die anyway, even if we don't smoke. So why should smoking related death worry me?

The advantage (apart from the rush) is that my chances of Alzheimer's reduces dramtically. Oh, and it guarantees some space in pubs :p
  • Options
    Re: Re: on the matter of smoking
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    The advantage (apart from the rush) is that my chances of Alzheimer's reduces dramtically.

yeah, cause by the age that there is the greatest risk of alzheimers, half of you smokers will already be dead, from some godawful respiratory disease. :P
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: on the matter of smoking
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    yeah, cause by the age that there is the greatest risk of alzheimers, half of you smokers will already be dead, from some godawful respiratory disease. :P

There is that (and I have cracked that one myself) by the nicotine adicted brain is less likely to be affected by alzheimer's. It a statisical anomaly and no-one has managed to explain why, yet.
  • Options
    Apparently LSD has the same effect in reducing the risks of Alzheimers... But thats a whole different forum.