Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Permanent Hair Straightening

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Has anyone had their naturally curly hair permanently/chemically straightened? Was it worth it? How long did it take? How much did it cost? etc etc :)

My hair is naturally very curly, but nearly a year ago I had it cut in a style which always requires my hair to be straight. Don't get me wrong - I love the cut but my hair takes an hour after washing to get it dry, straight and back in the style its been cut to. I can't risk getting it wet anywhere in case it goes curly and I wouldn't be able to dry it.

With the summer coming up, I quite fancy getting back into swimming after I've been to the gym but that would mean having to go straight home and spending an hour a night re-doing my hair - and I'm knackered enough after the gym anyway!

I'd love to be able to just blast my hair with the hairdryer, quickly run the straighteners through it and be ready to go in 20 minutes.. Is it possible?! :yeees:

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    curly is good for summer - leave it curly!! I am a straighteners addict in winter, but prefer my hair wavy in summer..... BEACH BABE LOOK!!
  • Options
    Ahh.. thankyou! I did do a search so how I managed to miss that one I'm not too sure! Not sure I'm too keen on it now.. knew about the cost (I can see the driving lessons' fund being used for that!) but not too keen on the smell... :nervous: Worse than usual hair colour, I take it?

And natos, I would leave it curly but it doesn't look good because of the cut - I have quite short layers around my face and the curls just go tight then fuzzy and icky! Not nice!

Back to the straighteners it is then! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I had this done...it hardly worked at all. Mine cost about £150 and it was straight for about 2 weeks then gradually started going curly again. The stuff stinks and it burns your nose. It takes forever and, even when my hair was first straightened permanently, I still had to go over it with GHD's. I'd say a complete waste of money.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Crystal Tipps
    Worse than usual hair colour, I take it?
    especially if you work in the hairdressers. i found this out the hard way.