Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Eight Sacred Bullies

I found this on Strike-the-Root site.
G-8 Security
Statistics from the G-8 meeting on Sea Island and the way off-site media center in Savannah.
20,000 - Number of security personnel.
$35,000,000 - Cost of security.
350 - Number of protestors in Savannah and near Sea Island.
$ 100,000 - Cost of security per protestor.
These numbers are so hilarious in themselves that I don't have to make anything up.
Following a successful conclusion to security issues in Savannah, Hizzoner the Mayor suggested that the city take a page from G-8 security to reduce street crime. Basically, what we saw over the past three days was:
1-2 automatic weapons-armed, cammie-dressed, sojer-boys/girls on every corner in the historic district.
Innumerable Humvees.
Coast Guard launches on the river, machine guns locked and loaded.
Streets empty of tourists, restaurants empty of tourists, all stores almost empty or everybody. The overworked phrase, "ghost town," comes to mind.
40 protestors in the park, surrounded by 100 journalists trying to interview them, surrounded by security personnel outnumbering either group.
A few dozen protestors out for a walk, being faced down by lines of armor-clad, face-shielded, baton-tapping cops, not to mention Clydesdale-sized, armored steeds.
Yeah... For getting a taste of the future police state, the last few days has been invaluable.
Posted by Joe Bommarito
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Reminds me of the OTT security we had when G. Bush came to visit. Armoured limo, armed guards, paramedics following. Meanwhile the Queen has no problems riding in an open horse-drawn carriage. Americans :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Captain Slog
    Reminds me of the OTT security we had when G. Bush came to visit. Armoured limo, armed guards, paramedics following. Meanwhile the Queen has no problems riding in an open horse-drawn carriage. Americans :rolleyes:

I think more people would be likely to try and shoot Bush though ;)
  • Options
    Yeah definately.