Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Smoking a "working class pleasure"

Story.

I have to congratulate Reid on saying what he has said, bceuase (for the first time in his life) he is actually right. I find it very frightening how the doctors' lobby have appeared to get anti-smoking legislation so high up on the agenda without any public consultation, and without any regard to what people actually want to do.

There is always an attitude with healthcare professionals that they know best, and that people who don't do as they say need to be "[punished" for their "bad behaviour". If I want to drink and if I want to smoke I should be allowed, and it is not for any other person to decree that I cannot be allowed, unless it DIRECTLY impacts upon another person's rights. I am all for segregated smoking areas in restaurants and pubs, but banning smoking in public places is ridiculous, stupid, and typical of the arrogance of doctors and this government.

I never thought I would say it, but John Reid has said something that is right. He won't be listened to, though, because Doctor Knows Best.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    But did you read how many people smoking kills every year? 120,000!!

Surely almost any measures that helps reduce that number is a good thing.
  • Options
    Re: Smoking a "working class pleasure"
    Originally posted by Kermit
    [if I want to smoke I should be allowed, and it is not for any other person to decree that I cannot be allowed, unless it DIRECTLY impacts upon another person's rights. .
    such as my rights when im working, not to have to stand in a cloud of cigarette smoke till it hurts my eyes, makes my throat sore, makes me stink etc. What about in a household where one person smokes but another does, or where there are children.
    I think discouraging people from smoking, and making it less socially acceptable is a good thing, because other peoples rights are being infringed all the time with it, unless said smoker only ever smokes alone in the open air.
  • Options
    and surely its a false pleasure anyway, because the pleasure is due to relieving withdrawal symptoms, rather than being pleasurable in itself. If they didnt have the addiction, then there would be no pleasure in the cigarette.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    and surely its a false pleasure anyway, because the pleasure is due to relieving withdrawal symptoms, rather than being pleasurable in itself. If they didnt have the addiction, then there would be no pleasure in the cigarette.

False. Why do you think people get addicted in the first place? It's not like when someone smokes their first cigarette they immediately think "I'm going to endure smoking until I get addicted so then I can get pleasure from relieving withdrawal symptoms."
  • Options
    Yes, of course, there are certainly pleasures derived from it, its known to stimulate the dopamine receptor for example.

But most people fall into the habit of smoking and once addicted the main pleasure is indeed stopping the with drawl.
  • Options
    He is right - it is a pleasureable activity for some people, which I personally think is very, very sad.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    He is right - it is a pleasureable activity for some people, which I personally think is very, very sad.

Yeh well I think it's very, very sad to derive pleasure from another generic Westlife ballad. But everyone's different.
  • Options
    Originally posted by UpsetChap
    False. Why do you think people get addicted in the first place? It's not like when someone smokes their first cigarette they immediately think "I'm going to endure smoking until I get addicted so then I can get pleasure from relieving withdrawal symptoms."
    hmm, well I think if youre around smokers from a young age, ie, your parents smoke, then by the time youre a teen, youve been second hand smoking all your life, and then trying a cigarette would be pleasurable. That would explain why most smokers children end up smoking too. If your parents dont smoke, then its less likely to be pleasurable if you do try it. whenever ive smoked tobacco its just made me feel very dizzy.
    just a thought.
  • Options
    actually, maybe they shouldnt have safer sex campaigns because unprotected sex is one of the few pleasures left for poor people, or maybe not bother with recommending 5 portions of fruit and veg a day, because eating sugary fatty foods is one of the few pleasures left for poor people :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I think discouraging people from smoking, and making it less socially acceptable is a good thing, because other peoples rights are being infringed all the time with it, unless said smoker only ever smokes alone in the open air
    I certainly agree with this. Perhaps this argument will also sound "out of order," but if poorer people stopped smoking, surely they would save money?
    If I want to drink and if I want to smoke I should be allowed, and it is not for any other person to decree that I cannot be allowed, unless it DIRECTLY impacts upon another person's rights.
    Smoking doesn't just have impacts on an individual; it costs the health service money every year to treat people suffering from smoking-related illnesses.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Luce
    Smoking doesn't just have impacts on an individual; it costs the health service money every year to treat people suffering from smoking-related illnesses.

So do lots of things, like eating crap food, driving cars or going mountain climbing. Are we gonna ban them too?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    So do lots of things, like eating crap food, driving cars or going mountain climbing. Are we gonna ban them too?
    no, but there are healthy eating initiatives in place now arent there, to try and educate people on the dangers of eating crap highly processed food.
    As for mountain climbing, maybe they should make people who do extreme sports, contribute towards their own healthcare if they are injured doing something so very risky just for leisure.
  • Options
    Well smokers already pay excessive taxes into the system.
    But my point is, that we all do things that are bad for our health or are potentially risky. Where do we draw the line on banning things?
  • Options
    Well smokers already pay excessive taxes into the system.
    But my point is, that we all do things that are bad for our health or are potentially risky. Where do we draw the line on banning things?
    good point, I dont think they are going to ban it though. Banning it in the workplace is not the same as banning it altogether. Smoking by its nature is one thing that really does affect other peoples health, not just the smoker, so they have to take that into account. chewing tobacco for instance would only affect the person doing the chewing, but because smoking produces smoke (funnily enough) everybody around breathes it in which affects their health too. Its OK when its in an open space, but in a crowded room, its a real health hazard. I do think there needs to be some education, and guidelines about what is acceptable, and protecting workers.
  • Options
    True, I think it should be banned in most workplaces (it already is in most places). But when it comes to pubs, it should be up to the managers discretion IMO. I like a roll up with my pint.
  • Options
    Why should bar workers be treated with less respect for their health?
  • Options
    They shouldn't. As I said - it should be up to the managers discretion or even better, up to the workers. If they don't mind, then let people smoke. If they do, then ban it in that establishment. Simple. :)
  • Options
    this is assuming that managers give a shit about their staff.
  • Options
    A lot don't probably. But I'm sure there is a growing demand for fully non-smoking pubs, so I don't know why its not done.
  • Options
    And the workers have a choice about their jobs.
  • Options
    If the premises are properly fitted and modified for cigarette smoke and if there are designated non-smoking areas then the risks of second-hand smoke are miniscule.

Workers who object to work in the smoking section can work in the non-smoking section instead. I sure positions on both sides of the bar would be filled without problem.
  • Options
    Sorry kermit but this is a laod of shit....

Nice that he mentioned trying no to tbe patroninsing whilst saying things about the working class that i would consider extremely patronising!

My working class Grnadmother 'enjoyed' smoking for most of her life but gave up becasue she knew it was damaging her, if the damned thing had been illegal then she probably would never have started in the first place and would live for longer and have more money.........

As for the comments regarding where we are going to draw the line smoking is clearly different because it has NO benefits whatsoever, it is only enjoyable because it is addictive, nobody enjoys smoking at firast because it is a disgustingly foul, and unnatural torment upon your body.

If the rights of those who work in pubs, resteraunts ect were takne as equal to all others then there could be no possible justification for allowing smoking in any such place......

Even if you wnated to defend the hallowed rights to kill yourself that most people seem so enamoured by, why defend the right to allow more pople to start smoking?

I propose the age at which you can buy fags be increased by one year every year, that means everyone who already smokes can smoke (but only in limited areas of course :p ) and no new young people can start, it will tkae a while but eventually no-one will smoke and the world will be a better place.

Let me ask the defenders of smokers rights this.

If the govt finds out that some food product is in fact laced with poison that reduces your health after prolonged exposure, should the govt ban this food product, or make it well known that it is harmful and let it be sold anyway?

Was the govt right to ban beef on the bone in the BSE crisis?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    If the premises are properly fitted and modified for cigarette smoke and if there are designated non-smoking areas then the risks of second-hand smoke are miniscule.

Workers who object to work in the smoking section can work in the non-smoking section instead. I sure positions on both sides of the bar would be filled without problem.

Surely you know this is bollocks?

Non-smoking areas are a joke, as if for some magical reason you are not affected by the fumes if the people are two tables away! Madness!

Would you be so happy if it were coalminers, and they could 'choose' to work in the dangerous conditions?
  • Options
    I enjoy smoking.
    Prohibition doesn't work.
    End of.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    Surely you know this is bollocks?

Non-smoking areas are a joke, as if for some magical reason you are not affected by the fumes if the people are two tables away! Madness!

Would you be so happy if it were coalminers, and they could 'choose' to work in the dangerous conditions?

one word - danger money - thats what happens to people who do jobs that they know will probably kill them
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin

I think if theyre not going to ban smoking in the workplace then they should be made - by law - to make sure it IS adequately ventilated and air conditioned. Have a carbon dioxide/monoxide meter to measure the air quality in both sections, and if it goes over a certain level in the non smoking section, then they get fined. In my workplace, the non smoking section is slap bang in the middle of two smoking sections. yes it is a bit less smoky in the non smoking section but it still hurts my eyes. Even the smokers complain! In the smoking section, theres a big cloud above the tables :( It really is vile and I dread to think of the damage it does for the full time staff.
  • Options
    I enjoy smoking.
    Prohibition doesn't work.
    End of.

That is exactly the kind of post that would elicit some kind of screaming and over the top retort form you if this was an immigration thread........:rolleyes:

We should legalise heroine and crack-cocaine then?

The argument is for banning in certain places not prohibition anyhow, smoke in your own company if you have to, go outside the restaurant, it is not that hard........
  • Options
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    one word - danger money - thats what happens to people who do jobs that they know will probably kill them

yeah the £4.40 I got for working in a nightclub really reflected that I thought, as did the £4 i used to get working in a restaurant.........:rolleyes:
  • Options
    That is exactly the kind of post that would elicit some kind of screaming and over the top retort form you if this was an immigration thread........:rolleyes:

Pardon? :confused:

I fail to see any parallels. :confused:
    We should legalise heroine and crack-cocaine then?

Yes, I think we should actually.
    The argument is for banning in certain places not prohibition anyhow, smoke in your own company if you have to, go outside the restaurant, it is not that hard........

I'm not talking about restaraunts. I don't have a problem with non-smoking restaraunts.
  • Options
    Pubs then? Why restaurants but not pubs?