Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Just cynical?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right i'm 18 and haven't had a "real" relationship with a guy or gal....but i just see friends turn pathetic as soon as they get a partner and don't want this to happen to me!! Is this a proper fear? or am i just not experienced enough?
I see this whole search for a g/f pointless a lot of the time as it just seems to end up in tears or worse. Plus desperation seems to come into it alot?

"I must find a truth that is true for me......the idea for which I can live or die."(Soren Kierkegaard)

Comments

• Options
    Originally posted by tourette:
    Right i'm 18 and haven't had a "real" relationship with a guy or gal....but i just see friends turn pathetic as soon as they get a partner and don't want this to happen to me!! Is this a proper fear? or am i just not experienced enough?
    I see this whole search for a g/f pointless a lot of the time as it just seems to end up in tears or worse. Plus desperation seems to come into it alot?

I can completely relate to what you are sayin there. Right now im feeling awful about a relationship of mine, and it seems weird. I love her, had sooo many happy times, and its this that hurts when it all goes wrong. Seems pointless in a way.

Anyway it does seem a bit weird that everyone wants to have a guy/girl, especially from an outsiders point of view. But dont feel weird because you havent met anyone that youve clicked with yet.

And certainly dont feel any obligation to go out with someone to follow the crowd or because its considered "cool".

Mama I love you, Mama I care.
  • Options
    The heart just wants what the heart wants.... You just haven't met the right girl (or guy) yet. Go with the flow and let destiny come to you.

Relationships are not pointless. Just like friendships aren't pointless. When a friend of yours gets in a fight with you, yes it does hurt, but there is a point in having friends : to share good moments and to help each other out. And most of all, to love each other. All the good moments and the happiness you get in a relationship are really worth the final pain - if any.

~There are three types of people in this world : those who can count, and those who can't.~

• Options
    I can relate to what you've written. When I was single, I couldn't understand how people could become so pathetic when they were in love. I always prided myself on my independence and that I would not just be with someone so as not to be alone.
    I've also been through rough times because of love, often wondering if it was really worth it. But later I realised that the guys I was interested in at the time were just, well, nothing for me. They couldn't give me anything in return for my love.
    If you have a relationship with the right person it's a great thing. It's not giving yourself up to your 'loved-one'. A real partner will help you boost your self-confidence and support you besides loving you. And this is worth all the worries or arguing that will come up in any relationship.