Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Fashion/Hairdressing courses.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Any guys do these? Why did you pick them? What are they? What do they involve?

Curiousity.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Re: Fashion/Hairdressing courses.
    Originally posted by Capacity
    Any guys do these? Why did you pick them? What are they? What do they involve?

Curiousity.
    I get my haircut at a hairdresser training academy and their are lots of men training to be hair dressers. A lot of them seem to be rather camp but I'm sure not all of them are.

The stereotypical male hairdresser is camp but the stereotypical barber isn't... quite bizzare really.
  • Options
    My stylist is called Barry and he's Jewish. He is slightly camp but is married with three children and lots of grandchildren. He is definately a family man.

My uncle owned his own barber shop for years and there is no way you could accuse him of being camp!
  • Options
    my boyfriend was doing fashion at college...since im a girl, he is definately NOT gay :):heart:

i think he picked the course because he is really interested in fashion. Plus he is good at art, and there was an element of that in it too :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by draven
    my boyfriend was doing fashion at college...since im a girl, he is definately NOT gay :):heart:

i think he picked the course because he is really interested in fashion. Plus he is good at art, and there was an element of that in it too :)

Did he ever talk about what it involved? What does he plan to do after it all, or what is he doing now?
  • Options
    i did a year of a fashion degree before switching onto my current one.

it involved design, illustration, practical sewing, marketing, trend analysis, art history, additional skills (wovens, knits, printing), fashion as a business and presentation skills. bloody hard work actually - we did 10 - 4 every day.

my friends from the course who graduated last year and are working in the field are junior designers, pattern cutters, buyers, merchandisers, retail management trainees or junior fashion magazine writers/stylists.
  • Options
    i think barbersare more manly cause well its like a mens club causes barbers only tend to do men and leave copies of mens mags on side with football playing, well my local does, whilst hairdressers tend to look more classy and cater for women so 'need' camp guys lol
  • Options
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    i think barbersare more manly cause well its like a mens club causes barbers only tend to do men and leave copies of mens mags on side with football playing, well my local does, whilst hairdressers tend to look more classy and cater for women so 'need' camp guys lol

Yes. How I'd hate to be paid £30 for a haircut when I can be paid £4.50.