Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What democracy?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone feel that we live in less of demcracy than we have ever lived in. It feels more like 1984 (george orwell) nowadays, especially with the proposal of these ID cards and the fact that the government seem to ignore the protest of millions of people from around the world and go ahead with a war anyway.

Comments

• Options
    Re: What democracy?
    Originally posted by lovin_ur_work
    Anyone feel that we live in less of demcracy than we have ever lived in. It feels more like 1984 (george orwell) nowadays, especially with the proposal of these ID cards and the fact that the government seem to ignore the protest of millions of people from around the world and go ahead with a war anyway.
    i'm the old man of the site and i remember ...reading science fiction books when a kid.
    the worst scenarios for the future (the here and now)spoke of id cards ...cameras watching your every move on every journey ...24hr survielance!
    well ...seems to me we have arrived there but ...most people seem to be embracing the nightmare warmly ...
  • Options
    morrocan roll
    well ...seems to me we have arrived there but ...most people seem to be embracing the nightmare warmly ...

and all under your beloved control-freak Labour Government:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by ladymuck
    morrocan roll

and all under your beloved control-freak Labour Government:rolleyes:
    the cameras arrived under the tories ...but i get the point about the I.D cards.
  • Options
    Why I.D cards?

a)Concerns about asylum/immigration - net immigration has risen year on year since 1997

b)Concerns about terrorism- baccelerated by war on Iraq, Blair's Project, ushered through by a spineless cabinet and not , on paper , opposed by a spineless Labour Party

A Labour Party supporter should have no criticism of increased sureveillance and control
  • Options
    Why I.D cards?

a)Concerns about asylum/immigration - net immigration has risen year on year since 1997

b)Concerns about terrorism- baccelerated by war on Iraq, Blair's Project, ushered through by a spineless cabinet and not , on paper , opposed by a spineless Labour Party

A Labour Party supporter should have no criticism of increased sureveillance and control
    you have gone right off topic and back to the same old stuff again ...and again ...
    i don't like blair and have said so many times.
    the imigration thing again ...and again ...
    you must live in a paranoid fantasy world.
  • Options
    I read 20% of the worlds CCTV cameras reside in the UK. Just an interesting fact.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    May I suggest that we try and stick to the topic of increased control by the powers that be, and leave the immigration issue as a reason in passing for the introduction of ID cards? Please please please lets not turn this in to another nasty immigration thread that gets personal and boring?
  • Options

Who says that a in democracy you must do EVERYTHING the people demand!?

Governments must be respsonsible as well as representative!
  • Options
    Why I.D cards?

Spineless cabinet?!:lol:

Don't you know that the Cabinet collectively take repsonsiblity foir decisions made by it? They can disagree within meetings, but they all must share the blame once a decision is made! ;)
  • Options
    Why I.D cards?

b)Concerns about terrorism- baccelerated by war on Iraq,
    at the risk of bringing on the wrath of lady jade ...will you just this once go and fucking check the assylum/refugee status for the rest of europe! it's the state of the world you ...you f ...
    and as a supporter of the labour party i have many many critisisms. thats normal and healthy is it not?
    the war was supported by your beloved right wingers ...but not by me and i hope blair suffers for it.
  • Options
    I've no problem with the number of CCTV cameras, in actual fact I would advocate more. I would like to think that if I were the victim of crime that CCTV footage would help find the criminal and bring them to justice. I would also argue that they are an effective deterrant.

As for ID cards, I wouldn't mind having one, it can always be used for ID when you get stopped in a bar! ;)
  • Options
    Practically every other country in the world already has them, even countries that you would consider less developed than the UK.

They would help with a number of things. It could be used to ensure alcohol is not sold to underage drinkers for example if it were compulsory to ask every single person for their ID card before sale. I always looked much older than I was when I was underage and regularly used to go out and get absolutely wasted in Reading when I was 15.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    I've no problem with the number of CCTV cameras, in actual fact I would advocate more. I would like to think that if I were the victim of crime that CCTV footage would help find the criminal and bring them to justice. I would also argue that they are an effective deterrant.

As for ID cards, I wouldn't mind having one, it can always be used for ID when you get stopped in a bar! ;)
    i know what your saying about the cctv but ...it is no reflection of any government or political party ...it's a reflection on the state of us the people. the only reason we accept/tolerate them is cos we can no longer trust each other.