Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Student Cards

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
You know the things when you go to college and you get discount of things? What are thier actual uses apart from Discount? or is that it? lol.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    it shows you're a member of the NUS

site
  • Options
    It says yr12 and 13, but I'm in yr14 and have one. :)

Not that that's relevant, but it's also a good idea to ask when you're buying things whether they take student discount. I never knew they did it in Dune and Schuh until the shop assistant asked me.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lucifer devil
    It says yr12 and 13, but I'm in yr14 and have one. :)

yeah, my mum was a student last year part time and she had one.
  • Options
    Just another question, if you go to college do you get it for free there? Just cos i read they can cost £6 if u apply for one.
  • Options
    Yeah you get your NUS card free when you go to college, well I did anyway.
  • Options
    If your college or unicversity is affiliated with the National Union of Students then you will get an NUS card when you join.

If it does not I think you can take out a personal membership.
  • Options
    I had to pay £11 for a two year one, but with the money I've saved on cinemas, clothes etc., it is actually worth it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Butterflykisses
    I had to pay £11 for a two year one, but with the money I've saved on cinemas, clothes etc., it is actually worth it.

my friend had to pay for hers too, and it looks different to mine but i save on clothes, at pizza hut and at the cinema etc..just as she does when mine was free.
  • Options
    20% off at pizza hut, it makes it very much worth paying for one :D
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Originally posted by Kermit
    If your college or unicversity is affiliated with the National Union of Students then you will get an NUS card when you join.

If it does not I think you can take out a personal membership.

i did not know that. my university is not a member of the NUS so all my uni card does is prove i am a student, not a member of the NUS.
  • Options
    I think I paid £18 for a VIP NUS, which only lasts one year.

Damn useful though... 10% off at HMV, for example... and it gets me in free to loads of things.
  • Options
    Originally posted by *TiNK*
    Just another question, if you go to college do you get it for free there? Just cos i read they can cost £6 if u apply for one.
    The NUS card you can get when you are in sixth form or college doing Further Education is called the NUS Associate card and you have to pay £6. It will give you all the discounts but you are not entitled to all the services offered by the NUS like legal stuff.

If you are at University or Higher Education College your university is very likely to be affiliated to the NUS (only a few aren't. Imperial College London aren't plus a couple of others). If this is the case you get your NUS card directly from the university and have full NUS membership.

To be honest very few places that offer student discounts care about what type of student card you have. My ISIC card has always been enough as is my university ID card and my ULU membership card.

The cost of a university being affilated to the NUS by far exceeds the service offered imo. The shops that offer student discount target *students* and couldn't give a damn as to whether the university or college you attend is affilated to the NUS or not. As more and more universities have the sense to disaffilate (and save themselves a tonne of money that could be better spent) the more people will realise this.

My university had a referendum type thing to see if its students wanted to dissaffilate. Sadly the primary reason for most "no" votes was either (a) because people don't realise that you can still get discount with other student cards and (b) Imperial College have disaffiliated. They are a rival London college.

And by the way... if you buy one years membership for £6 you can probably get away with using the card long after it expired anyway. I did.