Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

clothing cultures

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
just wondering what goes thru the mindset of someone who wears a certain type of clothing.

eg. scallies, goths, 50 cent wannabes etc etc.

im not passing judgement on anyone, but if you are a scally (for instance) do you really think you look good when you step out of the house looking like you do?

im just interested!

Comments

• Options
    Re: clothing cultures
    Originally posted by superfly
    just wondering what goes thru the mindset of someone who wears a certain type of clothing.

eg. scallies, goths, 50 cent wannabes etc etc.

im not passing judgement on anyone, but if you are a scally (for instance) do you really think you look good when you step out of the house looking like you do?

im just interested!

please stop with the stereo typing. what the hell is a scallie any way??
  • Options
    I guess people just wear what they feel drawn to.
  • Options
    Im not in any 'group'. If i like a piece of clothing i buy it and wear it.
  • Options
    Re: Re: clothing cultures
    Originally posted by luby
    please stop with the stereo typing.

stereotyping is always going to happen i'm afraid.

i'm not in any sort of group, but i'm certainly not the eccentric type.
  • Options
    Originally posted by curiouslad
    Im not in any 'group'. If i like a piece of clothing i buy it and wear it.

Same here, but i can sometimes come into the scally type group but hey, oh well.

a scally is like a ermm rude boyz type thing dya get me?
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: clothing cultures
    Originally posted by lucifer devil

i'm not in any sort of group, but i'm certainly not the eccentric type.

i am, i get called anothing from greebo to goth to punk to hippy. scallie is not somehting i've ever been called
  • Options
    *blank*
  • Options
    Re: clothing cultures
    Originally posted by superfly

every heard the saying 'everyone is someone else's weirdo'?

whatever you wear, there will be people who think you look stupid. you can't please all the people all the time. wear whatever you think looks good, and who really cares what some people you don't know think?
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: clothing cultures
    i am, i get called anothing from greebo to goth to punk to hippy. scallie is not somehting i've ever been called

that's 'cause a scallie is really at the other end of the spectrum on a par with being a greebo.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: clothing cultures
    Originally posted by lucifer devil

god I could rant about this all day. it really gets on my tits how the population of the world feel the need to label eachother. I mean, if people label themselves, calling themselves goths, hippies etc then that's up to them, if they don't want to just be themselves. but labelling of others really annoys me. i get called a hippy and that's irritating, cos I don't want to be seen to fit into one catagory, I wear things I like because I like them, not cos they are in fashion and not cos they make me look like a certain type of person.

finished.
  • Options
    Originally posted by swank
    Im not going round telling "scallies" what I think of their clothes, why do they need to comment on mine?

exactly.
  • Options
    I used to wear scally type clothes when I was a kid, because thats what my friends wore and I didn't/don't have much confidence and don't like to stand out. And yes, I did think I looked nice in trakkies and gold earings! Eventually I got enough confidence to wear slightly different things and I don't know what I am now. I like my jeans, pretty tops and silver jewelery. There are some looks I like more than others but would never dream of criticising other peoples style.

I know its hard not to, but please don't judge by appearances. When I first met my boyfriend I made some instant judgements. He's 6'3, looked a bit hard and was wearing a burberry baseball cap. When we walk down the street people get out the way! It makes me laugh cos I know that he can be quite shy and is a big softie really. And when I tease him about the burberry baseball cap he just laughs. He likes it so he wears it. The stereotyping is other peoples problem, not his.:)
  • Options
    please stop with the stereo typing.

People are always gonna stereotype others'. Always. It's how people are able to quickly describe and tell the difference between different groups, and I don't really see the problem with it.

If it bothers you that much, stop living up to the stereotypes. Simple.
  • Options
    You know what I hate? All those girls currently wearing cropped jeans and yellow / other sickly coloured vest tops with pink high heeled shoes a la 1985. *Shudders*

What would be the 'stereotpye' name for those? Thats what is in fashion and that is what everyone who isn't a goth/townie/skater seems to be wearing.

:rolleyes: at this whole topic.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: clothing cultures
    Originally posted by SupaStar
    god I could rant about this all day. it really gets on my tits how the population of the world feel the need to label eachother. I mean, if people label themselves, calling themselves goths, hippies etc then that's up to them, if they don't want to just be themselves. but labelling of others really annoys me. i get called a hippy and that's irritating, cos I don't want to be seen to fit into one catagory, I wear things I like because I like them, not cos they are in fashion and not cos they make me look like a certain type of person.

finished.

everyone fits into a category - i.e. small, fat, black, white, greebo, boyracer, english, irish...the list goes on.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    You know what I hate? All those girls currently wearing cropped jeans and yellow / other sickly coloured vest tops with pink high heeled shoes a la 1985. *Shudders*

What would be the 'stereotpye' name for those? Thats what is in fashion and that is what everyone who isn't a goth/townie/skater seems to be wearing.

1985 hahahaha

they think it's "punk" but it's not, not at all. get some black fishnet, huge DM's, braces, spikes, a leather jacket, and an expoilted t-shirt, hack it to pieces. then you have punk.
  • Options
    1985 hahahaha

they think it's "punk" but it's not, not at all. get some black fishnet, huge DM's, braces, spikes, a leather jacket, and an expoilted t-shirt, hack it to pieces. then you have punk.

What the fuck? They don't think it's punk at all, it's just what happens to be "in" at the moment.
  • Options
    get some black fishnet, huge DM's, braces, spikes, a leather jacket, and an expoilted t-shirt, hack it to pieces. then you have punk.

no, then you have hot topic
  • Options
    Originally posted by my_name
    no, then you have hot topic
    :yes:
    you can't 'do' punk cos as soon as you start trying to look like others you've seen who you think are punk you defeat the object of it
  • Options
    They think it's "punk" but it's not, not at all. get some black fishnet, huge DM's, braces, spikes, a leather jacket, and an expoilted t-shirt, hack it to pieces. then you have twat.
    Indeed.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Young and sexy
    Indeed.
    <3
  • Options
    Originally posted by Young and sexy
    Indeed.

haha, like it. :thumb:
  • Options
    1985 hahahaha

except most of them wont have even heard the exploited. If they had then they would realise that the exploited were SHITE.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    every heard the saying 'everyone is someone else's weirdo'?

whatever you wear, there will be people who think you look stupid. you can't please all the people all the time. wear whatever you think looks good, and who really cares what some people you don't know think?

i love that . "everyone is someone elses weirdo". i just love that. im not like an extremely eccentric dresser. i dont stand out from a mile but if one day i fancy wearing my girlfriends elbow length short fingered rainbow coloured gloves i will....or if i want to wear a nice shirt and tie with my baggy jeans and trainers i will....i actually enjoy being sumone elses weirdo....

i also happen to find the classification game rather boring....it appears that if i just wear what i like to wear im just ..."someone elses weirdo"...yahoo! hehe
  • Options
    1985 hahahaha

No, I don't think they do think it is 'punk' - I think it is all that is available to buy in trendy clothes shops.

My point was, what is the name for those people? 'Cos to me they all look the same in the same way that all people who wear baggy jeans and a sweater are labelled as goths/skaters etc.
  • Options
    My point was, what is the name for those people? 'Cos to me they all look the same in the same way that all people who wear baggy jeans and a sweater are labelled as goths/skaters etc.

see, we used to refer to them as townies, back in the day.

but now it seems that 'townies' has come to mean people of the scally-type persuasion.

it's all very confusing.

i suggest: the fashion victims.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    see, we used to refer to them as townies, back in the day.

but now it seems that 'townies' has come to mean people of the scally-type persuasion.

it's all very confusing.

i suggest: the fashion victims.

:D
  • Options
    I've seen a lot of 'Sloanes' wearing stuff like that; whether that's the look you mean or I've got the wrong end of the stick I have no idea:)
  • Options

i know the look you mean, see loads of people dressed like that when i go clubbing and to me and my clubbing mates it's the "try-hard" look.
  • Options
    OK: the cropped jeans etc look? Definitely not punk :-S That's just your average trendy...

What Luby described? Um, well I'd say that was 'I'm trying to be a punk'. And I'd agree with whoever it was that said dressing to fit the punk image defeats the purpose of punk.

To the original maker of the thread: well, right now I'm mainly dressing trendy... yes, this does include cropped trousers and little tops, as well as jeans etc. Sometimes I dress skaterish in baggy jeans, sometimes I dress gothy in my fetish shoes and little skirts. And yes, I do always think I look good. I wouldn't leave the house thinking I looked less than good, or I'd feel crappy all day.