Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

plain shirts - part 2

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
following on from the plain shirts thread:

i'm looking for a fitted shirt with quite a lot of stretch. non stretchy shirts either fit my body and arms and refuse to fasten over my boobs, or fasten properly and are baggy as hell elsewhere, which makes me look like a kid.

anyone seen any of these on their shopping expeditions? i'd prefer a dark colour, or black, but am not overly fussy really.

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    i wish i had the money :(

looking for bravissimo style on new look prices :p
  • Options
    Re: plain shirts - part 2
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    following on from the plain shirts thread:

i'm looking for a fitted shirt with quite a lot of stretch. non stretchy shirts either fit my body and arms and refuse to fasten over my boobs, or fasten properly and are baggy as hell elsewhere, which makes me look like a kid.

anyone seen any of these on their shopping expeditions? i'd prefer a dark colour, or black, but am not overly fussy really.
    The selection of plain shirts on the high street right now is crap.

Stripes are in fashion and most shirts I saw when looking last week were either pin-striped, had big chunky vertical stripes or had big pink flowers on them.

Trying to find a neutral shirt was hard and I have the same problem as you with shirts not being designed for my body shape.

In the end I went to Bravissimo but figure if I wear it a lot it will work out good value in the long run... and I wore it to a job interview and I got the job- I'm sure it my shirt that swayed them!

Let me know if you suceed on your mission tho. I would suggest buying one that fits round your boobs and getting it adjusted but unless you can do it yourself that would be pretty expensive anyway.
  • Options
    i've just got back from shopping for work clothes, and found the stretchiest shirt ever in miss selfridge. couldn't afford it though, cause it was £28 :( more than the trousers i bought there. it wasn't plain though - it was white and pale pink stripes, but they were quite subtle and really nice. best of all - the sleeves actually fit me, and i looked like a woman in a shirt, rather than some kid on work experience. i might treat myself with my first paycheck, while my student card is still valid.

watch out for miss selfridge's immensely fucked up sizing though. the trousers i ended up buying were a size 6, and still too big to stay up properly without a belt :eek2: i am small, but not THAT small. i was joking with the changing room woman (who was also pretty small) that if they were going to make their sixes that big, they should start stocking fours and twos. and several of the other women in the changing rooms looked at us like they were wishing death on us :(
  • Options
    iwatch out for miss selfridge's immensely fucked up sizing though. the trousers i ended up buying were a size 6, and still too big to stay up properly without a belt :eek2: i am small, but not THAT small. i was joking with the changing room woman (who was also pretty small) that if they were going to make their sixes that big, they should start stocking fours and twos. and several of the other women in the changing rooms looked at us like they were wishing death on us :(

I have that problem too, only they really don't fit me at all. We don't have one where I live anymore, though I still don't think they'd fit. I've always had to try the size 6 on, the 8's would fall off and I'm not that small. It's my bum that I have problems with finding trousers that fit. I tend to find a lot are too baggy and I'm not right into trousers that make me look frumpy, I'd rather they were tighter. :(
  • Options
    i've just got back from shopping for work clothes, and found the stretchiest shirt ever in miss selfridge. couldn't afford it though, cause it was £28 :( more than the trousers i bought there. it wasn't plain though - it was white and pale pink stripes, but they were quite subtle and really nice. best of all - the sleeves actually fit me, and i looked like a woman in a shirt, rather than some kid on work experience. i might treat myself with my first paycheck, while my student card is still valid.

watch out for miss selfridge's immensely fucked up sizing though. the trousers i ended up buying were a size 6, and still too big to stay up properly without a belt :eek2: i am small, but not THAT small. i was joking with the changing room woman (who was also pretty small) that if they were going to make their sixes that big, they should start stocking fours and twos. and several of the other women in the changing rooms looked at us like they were wishing death on us :(
    I would have loved to have seen those women's faces!

Btw... as immoral as it may seem... hardly anywhere checks the expiry date on student cards anyway. I don't generally carry my current one as my uni charges a shitload for a replacement. Instead I carry an expired one- nobody has ever questioned it.
  • Options
    Mmm, I have the same problem with shirts, I've got one that fits amazingly well, and that's also from Miss Selfridge. I think it was also about £28 though, so not much help! I wouldn't bother trying TopShop if I were you because I have a size 6 shirt from there that suffocates me unless I wear it dirty old man with medallion style.
  • Options
    watch out for miss selfridge's immensely fucked up sizing though. the trousers i ended up buying were a size 6
    Maybe they got fed up of girls who won't admit that they are a size bigger than the size they wear and decided to do something about it!

It frustrates me to see perfectly slim girls who are say a 10 squeezing into a pair of size 8 jeans and having bulges coming out the top of them. It is not a good look- it makes them look like they have 4 arse cheeks.

By fucking about with the sizing it would be allow size 10 girls who want to buy a size 8 to do so and still look ok.

But it causes problems for people who are actually an 8 or a 6 or whatever, as you said.
  • Options
    I got a stretchy shirt from Miss Selfridges today and it was £28 so it was probably the same one.

I noticed that TopShop had some plain shirts that were (according to them) stretchy although none of them fitted me. But it might be worth a try.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Randomgirl
    By fucking about with the sizing it would be allow size 10 girls who want to buy a size 8 to do so and still look ok.

it was worse than that though. i'm an 8, but i usually buy 10s cause they hang on my hips the way i like and are a bit loose (tight trousers + summer + working in an office = mingyness). i picked up the 10s and they looked way too big, so i grabbed the 8s instead.

i put them on, and they just fell right down. around my ankles. that's not just generous. thats fucked up.

the 6s i managed to get to stay up, with the aid of a belt, but they still fit like a fairly generous size 10.

yeah, i get that the size 14 girls are gonna be over the moon when they find out they can just about squeeze into an 8 or 10, but then where the hell does that leave everyone under a size 10?
  • Options
    but then where the hell does that leave everyone under a size 10?
    Well if you were as short as me you could come to the "girls" section... although the range of Office Wear for girls (like NewLook915) is somewhat ur... limited. As you might expect.

But if I remember correctly you aren't short. So that doesn't really help.

If you find the answer let us know :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Randomgirl
    But if I remember correctly you aren't short.

5' 4" in shoes. i'm hardly xena warrior princess ;)

i wear a lot of clothes from tammy and H&M kids, but with starting work, i need something a bit more professional. the 'smart' stuff from kid ranges leave you looking like you're off to school. which, of course, is exactly what they're intended for.

i've applied to do secondary teacher training, and if i get an interview, i don't want to turn up looking like one of the pupils :/
  • Options
    5' 4" in shoes. i'm hardly xena warrior princess ;)

i wear a lot of clothes from tammy and H&M kids, but with starting work, i need something a bit more professional. the 'smart' stuff from kid ranges leave you looking like you're off to school. which, of course, is exactly what they're intended for.

i've applied to do secondary teacher training, and if i get an interview, i don't want to turn up looking like one of the pupils :/
    Well you got an inch-and-a-half over me!

Understandle that you don't want to dress like a school aged teenager. I've been having the similar problems as I'm starting a job in an office next week. I was lucky as my sister accidently shrunk the trousers to one of her trouser suits in the wash and they came out me-sized! But I don't think you can plan that sort of thing.

Next does Petites. But I found the sizing a bit confusing. I wasn't sure which bit is meant to be smaller than average and didn't have much luck with finding anything.

I've got enough smart trousers but not enough smart tops (as this is where I've grown since my last proper job). It would be easier if it were winter as "smart enough for work" jumpers and cardigans are easy to find and are stretchy. But in the summer a lot of the stretchy tops are too skimpy to look professional in the office and this brings us back to the fitted shirt saga again. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    The larger TopShops have a great petite range, and I've not had a prob with Next.
  • Options
    Originally posted by piccolo
    The larger TopShops have a great petite range, and I've not had a prob with Next.
    But when it says petite do you buy the clothes to fit your bust and then the arms are shorter or is it tighter or what? I found it all a bit confusing (but then I do my best to avoid clothes shopping as I hate it anyway so aren't really up on what all the terms mean).

I was in the massive TopShop on Oxford Street this afternoon but couldn't find anything suitable. They do have a lot of "funky" clothes in that store (and I'm sure there's the market for it around here) but not that much worky stuff :(