Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Hussain has retired!

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Heres the story from BBC;

Former England captain Nasser Hussain has retired from Test and
first-class cricket with immediate effect.
The 36-year-old announced his decision at Lord's only three days after scoring a match-winning century in the first Test against New Zealand.

He said: "It has been a major decision for me and it has been a gradual thing that has happened over months.

"I have been thinking about when was the time to go and on Sunday I decided the time was right to go."

Hussain, who was on the verge of tears as he revealed his decision, added: "Age has been catching up on me a little, the body, the fire in the stomach and the eyes have started to deteriorate a bit as well.

"I was willing to fight that and I was willing to fight against
opposition players but I was not willing to fight against youth in the form of Andrew Strauss."

Strauss had come into the side at Lord's for the first time and hit a
century on his debut with captain Michael Vaughan missing the match through injury.

But with Vaughan ready to resume his place, Hussain's decision will make like easier for the selectors.

Hussain said: "I'm emotional because it's a big day in my life to give up the game of cricket but it's not because I am sad.

"I would have loved to have played 100 caps but not for the stat."

Hussain had revealed to England coach Duncan Fletcher and captain Michael Vaughan before announcing his news to the media.

He said: "I spoke to Duncan. He was adamant that I should go out in the way I deserved. He did not say 'No Nasser I want you to stay,' none of the selectors did that, nor did the captain."

Hussain captained England in 45 of his 96 Tests before stepping down in favour of Michael Vaughan last year.

England won 17 Tests under his leadership, a total exceeded only by Peter May (20) and Mike Brearley (18).

Hussain scored 5,764 Test runs at an average of 37.18 during an England career which began on the 1990 tour to the West Indies.

He made 14 centuries and 33 fifties, with a highest score of 207 against Australia in Edgbaston in 1997.

He blatently just doesnt want to be over shadowed by this new bloke!
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on