Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

WiFi??

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ok kids, so my new laptop will have wifi on it (b)..what do i need to get a wireless network going? just a router?

i thought i was ontop of it...

confused now..

much love.x

Comments

• Options
    ok..

so theoretically speaking if i had a ADSL connection it(phoneline) would just go through a router then that to my laptop.

could you share any infor about router or..is it just buy a decent one that corresponds to my wifi signal?
  • Options
    you'll want pretty much any wifi router under the sun,

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd3N1YmNhdGVnb3J5X3NlYXJjaA==&cat_uid=39

if you want to use a desktop pc on the net too you can wire it up to the router with a networking cable

if you live in a densely populated area it may be an idea to get 802.11g, otherwise 802.11b should suffice
  • Options
    If it's just one computer and one laptop, you don't need to as long as you leave your desktop on, it will act as the router. If you have several computers however, it may be best to invest in a router incase you need to shut the desktop down, and it doesnt interrupt all the others.
  • Options
    There are two kinds of routers one with modem and ones without - if your exising modem has Ethernet then usually the ones without work fine.

Do read user's review very carefull. I had a big problemw ithmy Belkin disconnecting,etc and it was fixed by a neer firmware update - so make sure the company you chose has a good reputation for supporting their hardware.

I my case as home my ADSLModem also lose the connection every 2 to 3 days until I stuck it on a UPS and the electricity became smoother and then it would last weeks to a month or two without needing a reset