Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Princess Michael in racist comments 'shocker'

According to the New York Post (I thought I'd never see the day when I found myself posting a link to that paper) Princess Michael has been involved in a racist incident in a New York restaurant. There was a group of black diners sitting next to her and annoyed that they were being a bit loud, she suggested that they needed to "go back to the colonies".

Is this woman related to the Duke of Edinburgh by any chance?
;) :rolleyes:

Could yet be rubbish (the NYP is not renowned for telling the things as they are very often) given the history the Royal Family has with such remarks I would not be surprised one bit. Though until now most such incidents had come from another Royal.

They do live in a world of their own...
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Aladdin

Princess Michael, 59, is married to Prince Michael, first cousin of Queen Elizabeth

Doubt it. it'd be a bit genetically close
  • Options
    So she is related....by marriage, if not by blood (Which is possible)

If this is true then I really hope she apologises.
  • Options
    Aladdin
    Could yet be rubbish (the NYP is not renowned for telling the things as they are very often) given the history the Royal Family has with such remarks I would not be surprised one bit

Not worth a thread then really

celeb tittle-tattle of little political import
  • Options
    Originally posted by ladymuck
    Aladdin

Oh my good god - you Really aren't doing yourself any favours...he posted a link and he stated his uncertainty about the truth of the article. Which is a damn sight more than you seem capable of. Stop trolling the boards trying to 'get one over' on people because it makes you look even more of an idiot!
  • Options
    Aladdin

Well darling we all know you would consider such incident of little importance wouldn't you. :D
  • Options
    OK, byny, what's the political import of this then?
  • Options
    Originally posted by byny
    Oh my good god - you Really aren't doing yourself any favours...he posted a link and he stated his uncertainty about the truth of the article. Which is a damn sight more than you seem capable of. Stop trolling the boards trying to 'get one over' on people because it makes you look even more of an idiot!
    She had a really tough day here yesterday.

Today isn't shaping up to be much better.

Even for a dedicated BNP troll, it must be rather testing.

But let's not depart from the thread subject any further....
  • Options
    I think it's important, if true, that we are aware that members of the royal family, (who people argue are good for tourism), are making racist coments.

what kind of an example are they setting! Its a disgrace.
  • Options
    The words 'worthless' and 'parasites' come to mind. Certainly when talking about the so-called 'minor' royals... who still manage to sponge off ridiculous benefits and do precious little in return.
  • Options
    Sorry byny, that site contains inappropriate and offensive material... it was a discussion of this topic on the stormfront forum if anyone cares to look it up......

And these people seemed to find some relvance in it!! I don't want to promote this site but I figure that anyone who goes on it and thinks they talk sense is half mad already!
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    ladymuck, there is no need for that type of comment, if you think it is a pointless thread then don't post. It is quite simple really.
  • Options
    OK, taking all this at face value, is the Queen responsible or should be anyway assiciated with the actions/attitudes of a woman married to her cousin ?

No, I don't think so
  • Options
    For once I agree with you.

Still leaves you thinking how anyone in her position could ever utter such comments, if she indeed did say that.

With the perks and poncey titles come responsibility. If she wants to hang around to her title and all the fanfare it comes with she should engage her brain before opening her mouth.

Back to the Queen for a moment, she might not be responsible for Princess Michael but she's married to a far, far worse offender. And obviously has been unwilling/incapable of taming the old bigot.
  • Options
    No - but does Princess michael of kent represent the royal Family - Yes!

Or even better ...

Ladymuck....do you think it is reasonable for anyone, royalty or not, to say "go back to the colonies" to a group of people with black skin? Tell me - Do you ...no go on tell me...please, tell me, have an opinion go on go on go on......................
  • Options
    So a German immigrant who lives in Britain tells Americans, while in America (an ex-colony), to go back to the colonies.....

:confused:
  • Options
    Good point.......
  • Options
    byny
    No - but does Princess michael of kent represent the royal Family - Yes!

no, when something happens like this the media will seek to show her as representing the royal Family, she wasn't on a royal function
    Ladymuck....do you think it is reasonable for anyone, royalty or not, to say "go back to the colonies" to a group of people with black skin?

no, a dumb thing to say but...

a)if I were in a state of intoxication....

b)how were that group behaving?

Ppl do make racist comments, it's what is often below thw surface, she's 59 and an aristo so she wouldn't feel that nobbled by the PC brigade
  • Options
    Who are the PC brigade? Are they like the Fire Brigade?
  • Options

Ppl do make racist comments, it's what is often below thw surface, she's 59 and an aristo so she wouldn't feel that nobbled by the PC brigade

Hmmm, Ladymuck,
    So if you are drunk it's ok to be a racist
    even if that group were behaving like hooligans is it still ok to make racist comments....or are you saying certain behaviour is typical of those from the colonies, and that's a bad thing so it's ok to label people as people from the colonies (who are bad) and make racist comments about them?
  • Options
    So if you are drunk it's ok to be a racist

It's not OK, it happens if that's the mindset of the person, all manner of prejudices can flow not just racial

The colonies jibe is more in keeping with her being 59 and an aristo
  • Options
    Whats your excuse then?
  • Options
    So members of the Royal Family are racist. Big deal.

Most of the older members probably DO have prejudices against certain races. Remember they GREW UP in a less PC era!
  • Options
    Some silly royal watcher on TV this morning had the gall to say that perhaps the people at the table who felt offended didn't really understand the Princess as her accent may have been hard for them to understand with htem being street wise newyork black people!!! From what I saw the woman interviewed was articulate and bright.

She says that Princess Michael when challenged said 'I didn't say get back to the colonies, I said 'remember the colonies"...
    does this make it better or something?
  • Options
    Ppl do make racist comments
    No, a few undesireble people make racist comments. The majority of people are decent human beings who refrain from making such comments, no matter how pissed they might be.
  • Options
    Re: Princess Michael in racist comments 'shocker'
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    According to the New York Post (I thought I'd never see the day when I found myself posting a link to that paper) Princess Michael has been involved in a racist incident in a New York restaurant. There was a group of black diners sitting next to her and annoyed that they were being a bit loud, she suggested that they needed to "go back to the colonies".

;) :rolleyes:

Could yet be rubbish (the NYP is not renowned for telling the things as they are very often) given the history the Royal Family has with such remarks I would not be surprised one bit. Though until now most such incidents had come from another Royal.

They do live in a world of their own...

Yeah i think its real, it was in the Daily Mail so i will believe it :D:p
  • Options
    Aladdin

Doubt it. it'd be a bit genetically close
    hasn't bothered them to much over the centuries has it?
    i reckon the queens greek hubby and bernhard manning would make a cracking double act ...
    just goes to show that birth doesn't qualify them for the job.

one thing i find odd ... the tory kinda peoplewho stick up for the royals ...but hate the idea of becoming european ...can't get my head round that one.
  • Options
    Let's remind ourselves once again of the 'wisdom' of Prince Phillip shall we:

"Do you still throw spears at each other? "
    -- (on meeting Aborigines in Australia)

"If it has got four legs and it is not a chair, if it has got two wings and it flies but is not an aeroplane, and if it swims and it is not a submarine, the Cantonese will eat it. "
    -- (as spoken at a 1986 World Wildlife Fund meeting)

"How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to get them to pass test?"
    -- (Asking a driving instructor in Oban, Scotland, 1995)

"You can't have been here that long, you haven't got a pot belly."
    -- (as told to a Briton in Hungary)

"If you stay here much longer you'll all be slitty-eyed.''
    - addressing British students during a 1986 visit to China

"Everybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they are
    complaining they are unemployed.''
    - comment made during a particularly bad recession in Britain in 1981

"You were playing your instruments, weren't you? Or do you have tape recorders under your seats?"
    -- (Said to a childrens band in Australia in 2002)

"It looks like it was put in by an Indian."
    -- (Said after he saw a shoddily installed fusebox 1999).

"Aren't most of you descended from pirates?"
    -- Said to an islander in the Cayman Islands in 1994)

"Deaf? If you are near there, no wonder you are deaf." (1999)
    -- (Said to young deaf people in Cardiff, referring to a school's steel band. )

"If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?"
    -- (Said amid calls to ban firearms after the Dunblane shooting 1996)

"You are a woman, aren't you?"
    -- (Said in Kenya, to a native woman who had presented him with a small gift in 1984)

"You look like you're ready for bed!"
    -- (Said to the President of Nigeria, who was dressed in traditional muslim robes.)

"Do you know they have eating dogs for the anorexic now?"
    -- (Said to a blind woman with a guide dog, 2002).
  • Options

OK, yes when drunk people do and say things they probably wouldn't whilst sober. Does that make racist comments right in that instance?
  • Options
    One thing people should try to remember is that we are all human..........even royalty. So if you look at me how many times have I said something here which has been interpreted the wrong way ? I used to not think before I spoke and things all came out the wrong way (bit like Lukes doing now ;) ), but yeah after Id said something, even though i didnt mean no harm, disrespect in it I thought you silly cow, what the hell did you say that for.
    So what im saying is that sometimes people say stuff without thinking, by that time its too late and your classed as racist. Just something worth thinking about.