Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Cant remember

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Basically, ive finished my psychology revision, but the thing is i cant properly remember the names of the researchers and the dates, but i do remeber the studies/theories etc by the researchers. Ive gone over the studies over and over again but for sum reason i cannot remember the researchers/dates unless i look at the first letter or sumthing.....i dunno what the hell is goin on!!..the other thing is the exams on thursday.

Any tips?

cheers.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    i find a good way to remember things is to put them into rhymes if u know what i mean
  • Options
    Re: Cant remember
    Originally posted by lovin_ur_work
    Basically, ive finished my psychology revision, but the thing is i cant properly remember the names of the researchers and the dates, but i do remeber the studies/theories etc by the researchers. Ive gone over the studies over and over again but for sum reason i cannot remember the researchers/dates unless i look at the first letter or sumthing.....i dunno what the hell is goin on!!..the other thing is the exams on thursday.

Any tips?

cheers.

Well, I've not done any work for my Thursday exam :( Do you think all of tomorrow and thursday morning is enough? As for names, you do not need to know the people or the dates envolved in the study. Of all the mock papers I've seen, it never asks you. However you'll need to know people such as Vygotski, Freud, Tulving and Pearlstone and Craik.
  • Options
    I think its a good idea to at least try to learn the names of the researchers, at least if you know what studies/therories they did it will be easier. You must kinda know the names of some of the researchers if you can look at the first letter and remember the name, you need to develop on the knowledge you already have. Today write down the theory such as cognitive development as a heading and then write down the researchers associated with the heading, and try and learn that. Or you could try and make associations with what they said and their name.

When I did my AS and A level psychology exams I'm sure some of the questions actually asked to write about what one of the researchers found, so if you're not sure what they did then you're a bit stuck. However all the questions won't be like that, so if you can't remember what they did, then answer another question, and where you have to put a researcher just put 'an influential researcher found...' or 'a certain psychologist studied...'. They can't expect you to remember all the names of the researchers as there is bloody loads, but knowing at least some will get you more marks.

I'm sure you will be fine, at least you know what the researchers did, and thats the main thing. You sound like you're coping better than I was when I did both my psychology exams, I was in a right state because there was just so much to learn. So don't worry about not knowing the names, there will be loads of other people who don't know the studies, so you're in a better position than them. Good Luck.
  • Options
    A good way is to make a neumonic thingy out of the names of the researchers concerning what they did in that particular study. Even if you come up with something really stupid it may help you remember, because in your exam you'll think "oh yes, I was trying to make up a neumonic for this name with these points of the study..."

I did some really bizarre things for my A level in Jan, like I knew one study was Fox et al. (1977) so I tried to make the X of "fox" into two sevens joined together...it didn't work but I remembered it because of my failed attempt.

Another method is repetition, just repeat the name of the study, the researcher and they year over and over, perhaps if you make it into a little tune it may help you remember.

Very bizarre things I know but they did work for me!