Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

When to seek help?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right, I realise a lot of you on here have a lot of problems with depression and stuff, and mine probably seem pretty insignificant, but I'd really value your opinions.
I have rheumatoid arthritis, and have done for about 2 years. So far I've coped with it in my own way, sometimes getting stressed about it, but able to handle it. This last few weeks though, it's really been getting me down, and I'm finding it a bit hard to snap out of it. I have uni exams at the moment, so I guess that isn't helping. But I just feel really emotional at the moment. Like the other day, I had a bit of a scare about some drug side effects, and it just got me so upset, stupidly so. I ended up bursting into tears in the middle of our hall bar. And when I say tears, this was full blown hardcore crying, shaking uncontollably, and I just couldn't stop for ages. I feel a bit better for getting that out of my system, but I still just feel really weepy for no particular reason, and stressed out.
It's just not like me to be like this. And I don't think it's just exams, cos I'm never normally like this with exams. When I was crying the other night, one of our hall tutors came in, and she asked if I'd ever tried counselling, but didn't say anymore about it. Basically, I'd like to know what you guys think....is it worth trying or not? I'm not great with talking to poeple about my problems...it was quite good the other night, cos whilst I was crying my tutor was asking me questions about how my arthritis makes me feel and stuff, and I guess cos I already felt stupid anyway I just opened up. And my friends were there at the time, so they at least heard how I'm feeling. But normally, I just find it very hard to open up. But I think my friends also find it hard...some of them have asked me how I'm feeling after the other night, but I think a lot of them are just unsure of what to do, and it's a bit awkward.
I just feel like I'm making a big deal out of nothing, cos I know people manage to cope with much bigger problems than this, but...I don't know. Any advice appreciated xxx

Comments

• Options
    Seek help now.

Nobody has the right to judge you or tell you that your problems are too small.

Counsilling could help. You could also pay a visit to your GP about how you have been feeling. Your emotional health is as important as your physical health.

And it is definately better to get help now rather than waiting as if you leave it and sweep these problems under the carpet rather than addressing them they may grow. A stich in time saves nine and all that.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do :)
  • Options
    it must seem really unfair how you didnt ask to get rheumatoid arthritis and have to be on medication. You dont exactly have much choice in it, and then when there is a scare about some drugs side effects, must make you feel very vunerable indeed. Like they give out drugs, and you the people who have no choice but to take them regularly are the guinea pigs. That coupled with all the general stress of exams must make it a very anxious time for you.
    I hope you feel better soon, and if you really are having concerns about the safety of your medication it would be a good idea to discuss it properly with your doctor or pharmacist.
  • Options
    Hi Tates

Oh you poor thing, exams are a stressful time for everyone and that stress can always exacerbate other problems and issues in our lives.

You have already been given some good advice so I shall come and echo what has been said already. If you are worried about your medication you should talk to your GP.

As for counselling, it isn't for everyone but it does sound as if you would benefit from talking through all your issues with someone. You do not have to wait until your problems are huge and scary to seek counselling, in fact the very opposite is true. Counselling is for anyone who has issues that are affecting their day to day life. It can be of huge benefit, and is probably worth a try.

TheSite factsheet on counselling

Take care lovely

Susie x
  • Options
    I seriously mean it when I write *hugs*
    I know how it feels. Hope it'll be better ASAP :)
  • Options
    All the best, hope it works out for you.
  • Options
    Thanks for the support guys. I've had another difficult day, and I'm really grateful for everyone's help. I know that I'm gonna have to do something if I carry on feeling this way. One slight problem is that I'm going home for the summer in 2 weeks, so I can't use the university counselling service, or get much support from my g.p during that time. But who knows, maybe the break from uni will give me some time to sort myself out a bit.
    But anyway, thanks for all the advice and support. Tates x
  • Options
    don't be so hard on yourself. you're going through a lot.

we all get a bit pathetic at times, and it's ok. chronic illness is probably the least fun thing in the history of things. but you were dealing a month ago, and maybe in another month you'll be dealing again. and if you're not, there are so many people that can help you.