Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

steroids+skin problems!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hiya
you'll all know, if you've read my other thread on eczema, that ive been seeing a dermatologist about my skin problems. well on friday i went, and after telling her that the creams she gave me did nothing and my skin was worse, she put me on a course of steroids!
This has really scared me! I can always remember the doctor saying that steroids were a last resort+only for extreme cases - and now im on them :eek:
she's given me a months supply and i have to take 6 a day for 5 days, then 4 a day, etc, down until im only taking 2 a day!
Now, i know this is stereotypicall, but i dont know anything about steroids, so when i think of them i think of weight gain and addiction.
So, just wondering, does anybody here know any of the side effects of taking steroids??? ive only been given a months worth, but not sure how long the side affects would take to show up???:confused: i was very wary of taking them at first, but after taking them for the last 3/4 days i have already noticed a vast improvement :D
Please help!!!
Thanking you all in advance :)

Comments

• Options
    I got a treatment for my scalp with steroids in them, and I got bad skin.
    I'd never had problems with my skin before in my life.
  • Options
    Hi there

This answer on askTheSite has some useful links which may help you. However really you should consult your GP. Whenever you are prescribed medication it is a good idea to ask about side effects, how long to wait before you can expect to see results and when you should go back and see them.

You could also call NHS Direct
    Advice and information on all health-related issues.
    Telephone: 0845 46 47

or visit www.stopspots.org

Take care

Susie :)

edited to say - have you read your instructions/ information leaflet that came with the treatment?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Susie
    Hi there

This answer on askTheSite has some useful links which may help you. However really you should consult your GP. Whenever you are prescribed medication it is a good idea to ask about side effects, how long to wait before you can expect to see results and when you should go back and see them.

You could also call NHS Direct
    Advice and information on all health-related issues.
    Telephone: 0845 46 47

or visit www.stopspots.org

Take care

Susie :)

edited to say - have you read your instructions/ information leaflet that came with the treatment?

Thank you for your reply. im currently looking at both websites. i know i should have asked when i saw the dermatolgist, but i was sorta shocked by being given them, as i always considered them as a last resort. i think il make a doctors appointment for tomo and ask them then. And can you believe there was no leaflet with them, the pharmacist gave me a bottle+said there was no lealet. I think that's wrong, bcos they're quite a serious medication :confused: