Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Fertile?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Retarded question I know, but when is it you're meant to be at your most fertile in your cycle/most likely to get pregnant? Its the week before your period isn't it? Just wanted to check... :nervous:

If you're on the pill, does that change the time? Or does it become the time when you're on your break? :confused:

Comments

• Options
    I always thought it was about a week after your period - about the 14th day of your cycle (The start being the first day of your period)
  • Options
    it's different for everyone, but generally it's halfway between the first day of one period and the first day of the next, which, like byny said, is day 14 of an average cycle.

and if you're on the pill, and you're taking it properly, you have no fertile time, cause you don't ovulate.
  • Options
    Just to be technical (and this is very accurate, I've done lectures and an exam on this at Uni...), you ovulate exactly 14 days before your next period starts. This is because it's the hormones released by ovulation that control your periods, rather than your period controlling the time you ovulate. Obviously this is a little difficult to judge, since we generally can't see into the future, which is why they say that it's on day 14 of your cycle, i.e. 7 days after the end of your period. The problems with this method of judging it lie in the calculations... it's assuming that everyone has a 28 day cycle, and that we all have periods lasting 7 days....

And yep, there is no fertile time when you're on the pill, because the pill is designed to stop you ovulating.
  • Options
    Ok, just wanted to check. Thank you, I should be alright then!!