Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

dentist costs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
im 19 and in full time education. Should i e getting dentist treatments for free?
I was supposed to be getting veneers on my teeth when i turned 18 but havent got around to it, my circumstances were the same then

Comments

• Options
    Your treatment should be free I think you get it free up to the age of 211 if you are still in full time education.
  • Options
    If you're getting veneers as part of cosmetic dentistry, then you may get a discount. But, I doubt very much it will be free on the NHS unless it's a health problem.

I'm bleaching my teeth. The yellowness of my teeth is down to health as a baby so because of that, I'm having it partially paid for by the NHS but the rest I have to pay for....

Ilora x
  • Options
    What is veneers anyway?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Ilora-Danon
    If you're getting veneers as part of cosmetic dentistry, then you may get a discount. But, I doubt very much it will be free on the NHS unless it's a health problem.

I'm bleaching my teeth. The yellowness of my teeth is down to health as a baby so because of that, I'm having it partially paid for by the NHS but the rest I have to pay for....

Ilora x

im kinda the same. since i was a toddler i have had a lack of flouride thing, and so my teeth are discolored. i have been promised for 10 years that i can have the porcelein veneers to cover the discoleration and stregnthen them. They keep putting me off-im sure they have just made me wait so i have to pay
  • Options
    Originally posted by *lil~miss*
    What is veneers anyway?

http://www.dentalhealth.org.uk/faqs/leafletdetail.php?LeafletID=39
  • Options

cool that was very informative!
  • Options
    I don't see why the NHS should pay for peoples vanity, same as they don't usually pay for breast enlargements/reductions (unless there are health or major psychological impacts because of them).
  • Options
    Originally posted by PussyKatty
    I don't see why the NHS should pay for peoples vanity, same as they don't usually pay for breast enlargements/reductions (unless there are health or major psychological impacts because of them).

vanity?

i have week teeth and was told veneers will help stregnhen them!! the colour improvement is just a bonus i have no problem with my teeth
    thanky you
  • Options
    Ok fair enough from what people were saying I thought veneers were just to make teeth look better.
  • Options
    Originally posted by PussyKatty
    Ok fair enough from what people were saying I thought veneers were just to make teeth look better.

having said what i just said though, if somebody has something that is making them unhappy and affecting their life which isnt their fault, then this can be just as bad as an illness
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blah_x2
    having said what i just said though, if somebody has something that is making them unhappy and affecting their life which isnt their fault, then this can be just as bad as an illness

I agree to some extent, but what do you think is a priority in this hypothetical situation:
    making a persons yellow teeth look white
    buying new incubators to keep premature babies alive
    ?

Fair enough if veneers can be for medical reasons and not just cosmetic but that was the way I was looking at it.
  • Options
    i see your point but if there was a shortage of money for babies and dying people etc then help wouldnt be available for cosmetic surgery
  • Options
    I think you need to fill in a "HC1" form which says you are exempt from paying costs, if you are over 18 and haven't filled in this form, you will be made to pay. I'm not sure whether you get all costs paid or just some of it though.:confused:
  • Options
    NHS dentist treatment

You can do a seach on NHS direct for local dentists in your area.

:)