Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

My one and only Pill Question ...Ever ...I promise

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So

I've been off the pill for a year. Was on microgynon.

I have decided (for one reason or another) to go back on it.
So - My period was a week ago (The end) and my pack says start it on the first day of my period.

I'd like to start it now - Can I?

do they say you have to just to keep your cycle pretty regular??
(GOD I FEEL THICK - I'm 34 you know!!)

Comments

• Options
    you can start it whenever you want, but if it's mid-cycle you are not protected from pregnancy from the beginning. in the other thread, the advice was to use condoms if you need to for the first 2 weeks to a month.

the reason they advise you to take it on the first day of a period is because then the hormones will have enough built up by mid cycle to stop ovulation, and you will protected from the start.
  • Options
    OK - and this will sound awfully planned - if I start it now and I think I might have sex in 15 days time i will be protected...and will I get a period.

Sorry for being so thick.
  • Options
    you might be protected, but i think it would depend where in your cycle you are at the moment.

and theoretically you shouldn't have a period until the break at the end of your pack, but sometimes in the first few weeks your body doesn't know what's hit it, and can bleed here there and everywhere. it's different for everyone.
  • Options
    To be honest, it's probably best if you consult your GP before going against the instructions you were given. I'm not sure about the answers to your questions, but your GP will be able to answer them. Alternatively, call oneof the following organisations:

Brook Advisory Centres
    Advice, counselling and medical help around contraception, pregnancy, abortion and sexual health.
    Telephone: 0800 0185023
    www.brook.org.uk

Family Planning Association
    Information service on family planning and all aspects of sexual health.
    Helpline: 0845 3101334
    www.fpa.org.uk
  • Options
    I realize it differs for each type of pill but i asked my doctors about this earlier as i wanted to do the same thing. I'm on the Progestrogen only pill though so it might differ. My doctors were unhappy with my decision and really urged me not to start it other than my first day of period as it does effect the time span you have to wait before you are covered (it's definately something to do with ovulation as kaffrin said).

Definately look on the fpa site as i always find them really helpful for info.
  • Options
    Theres nothing to stop you using a condom in 15 days is there?
  • Options
    Re: My one and only Pill Question ...Ever ...I promise
    Originally posted by byny
    So

I've been off the pill for a year. Was on microgynon.

I have decided (for one reason or another) to go back on it.
    So - My period was a week ago (The end) and my pack says start it on the first day of my period.

I'd like to start it now - Can I?

do they say you have to just to keep your cycle pretty regular??
    (GOD I FEEL THICK - I'm 34 you know!!)

I have just started taking this again & doc said i could take it straight away but wouldnt be protected for 2 wks. Thing is this is jsut what he told me don't take it as written in stone.
  • Options
    im on microgynon 30 and it says in the leaflet that comes with the pack that if you start taking them mid cycle then you wont be protected for 7 days. Ask your gp if i was you though :confused: