Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

US helicopter opens fire on a wedding party

Story.

A US military helicopter has allegedly opened fire on a wedding party in Iraq, killing forty people.

If you want a job done properly, don't let the US military do it. Chinese embassies, Canadian soldiers, the Red Cross, John Sarjeant; one of these days they might actually hit the target they are aiming for.

And yes, this is an anti-US Army thread. If you don't like it feel free to drown yourself.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    :( I've just seen that and it makes me feel fucking sick, that we're sponsoring people there (by paying our taxes) to partake in actions like this. Given, it was US forces and not British but I'm sure it could have been just as easily. I'm watching the news now and the Pentagon is saying there was a "fire fight". I saw the pictures on TV and there were dead men, women and children, how can the Pentagon even fathom to claim this was a legitimate fire fight?
  • Options
    This is just a typical attempt of the loony left to undermine the fantastic war effort. The US Army are doing a fantastic job.

Said lukesh to the people in reality.

That's awful. There is going to be another Muslim extremist uprising soon, linked to events like this. And people will say these uprisings were unprovoked.
  • Options
    Shoot me down in flames but accidents do happen
  • Options
    Originally posted by ladymuck
    Shoot me down in flames

Stick a red cross on your back and the yanks will do it for you :lol:
  • Options
    "They hit two homes where the wedding was being held and then they levelled the whole village"

Why did they level the entire village? Dont the Yanks know the word overkill?
  • Options
    you have just posted the same link as kermit
  • Options
    And as it was to be expected, certain people refuse to utter a single word of condemnation.

What a surprise...
  • Options
    Bloody Americans, can't they actually shoot Iraqi Soldiers? Is there something about terrorists that repels American munitions, because I'd love to know.
    If they're not shooting civilians they're killing British troops, and yes mistakes do happen but the Yanks are just getting careless and showing to the world how poorly trained for this sort of thing they are.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    And as it was to be expected, certain people refuse to utter a single word of condemnation.

What a surprise...

I don't see anyone comdemning the wedding party fopr loosing off a few rounds either.

Bloody stupid if you ask me.

I'm not suggesting that the party deserved what is alledged here, but if you're dumb enough to shoot in a war zone then you cannot complain if someone shoots back.
  • Options
    EEE

america sucks
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    I don't see anyone comdemning the wedding party fopr loosing off a few rounds either.

Bloody stupid if you ask me.

I'm not suggesting that the party deserved what is alleged here, but if you're dumb enough to shoot in a war zone then you cannot complain if someone shoots back.
    Regrettable as it is that people carry weapons so eagerly, the fact is that it is extremely common for people to shoot their weapons as celebration in the Middle East. I myself have heard numerous rounds while in Jordan. They invariably were to mark a wedding or university graduation.

As it has been proved many times before the US is showing:

a) a total and complete lack of understanding of the country it occupies and the people it pretends to help

b) a terrible and deeply worrying gun-ho cowboy attitude where shooting anything that moves even if it presents no apparent danger and asking questions later is the order of the day.

You would think that of all people the Americans would understand the concept of Iraqis firing weapons in the air as a celebration- the Americans themselves being no strangers to carrying weapons everywhere and worshipping them.
  • Options
    Originally posted by mixinmusic
    2 sides to every story....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/3730423.stm

i dont normally agree, but firing guns in air to celebrate a marriage, IN THE MIDDLE OF IRAQ is a slightly stupid idea and well i dont blame the americans for that if that is the case, but i do question their judgement
  • Options
    Obviously we don't know the exact circumstances in which this happened. If these people fired their weapons with a US patrol 50 metres away the Americans would have more of a point. If however the shots were heard by the Americans from a great distance and decided to order a strike without even knowing who had shot or why, then they deserve to be prosecuted and jailed up to be honest.

The point is, these people have ALWAYS possessed weapons and ALWAYS fired weapons as a celebration. The Americans should know this very well by now, and ensure that no innocent people have missiles fired at.

The policy of 'shoot anything armed' is simply unacceptable- especially since the Yanks are the uninvited occupying force in a foreign country.
  • Options
    Obviously we don't know the exact circumstances in which this happened. If these people fired their weapons with a US patrol 50 metres away the Americans would have more of a point. If however the shots were heard by the Americans from a great distance and decided to order a strike without even knowing who had shot or why, then they deserve to be prosecuted and jailed up to be honest.

yeh i know what you mean, and american shouldnt of decided, lets fire a missle where gun shots are and investigated ie with a armoured veichle or something but still even if i used agun to celebrate wedddings, how long have these people had guns, about 60years at most, and like most people who own guns, they should be RESPONSIBLE OWNERS!
  • Options
    Its awful, 45 innocent people killed just because of the gung ho shoot first ask questions nature of the US Army. I read in the guardian today that much like the army of Israel it is trained just for the art of war and is not suited to peace keeping. For goodness sake the Americans should go when they "hand over sovereignty" to the Iraqis.
  • Options
    The point is, these people have ALWAYS possessed weapons and ALWAYS fired weapons as a celebration.

So?

Are the US to assume that weapon fire is always a celebration? Should they wait until their soldiers are hit, possibly even killed, before returning fire at what may appear to be an attack on them.

Surely the local populace would be better to hold back on their celebratory style at the moment. At the end of the day, it's their lives that they imperil.

It's not as if it's a religious thing...
  • Options
    What kind of measured response is to send war planes to launch guided missiles against a group of people armed with rifles?

Perhaps they should have dropped one of their MOABs, thus vaporising everything within a 500 metre radius lest a bad Iraqi man armed with a rifle escapes with his life and single-handedly defeats the entire 150,000 US task force in Iraq.

But anyway, all this talk now appears to be pointless, because the picture that is emerging is that the US army got the wrong people altogether. I'm actually minded to believe US soldiers might have been "shot at" by somebody... but it wasn't the wedding party, and more importantly the wedding party did not shoot any rounds.

From today's Independent (link below):
    Contrary to earlier reports, the sheikh said, there was no celebratory gunfire. Firing guns in the air is traditional at Iraqi weddings, and it was initially suspected that US forces had mistaken such shooting for hostile fire, as they did at a wedding party in Afghanistan when US air strikes killed more than 50 people in 2002. Sheikh Mikfil says he questioned the survivors extensively on this, and they were categorical: there was no shooting in the air.

Read the full article. The Americans appear to be attempting a cover-up. They're very pissed off at the existence of footage showing many women and children dead and have even demanded to know who the cameraman is :rolleyes: . And furthermore, the arrogant tosser in charge says he can't see why he should apologise.

And they fucking wonder why they're so despised by the people they generously "liberated"... :mad:

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/middle_east/story.jsp?story=523356
  • Options
    What kind of measured response is to send war planes to launch guided missiles against a group of people armed with rifles?

Measured by the number of US servicemen put at risk, or killed. No army would want to put more men at risk than necessary.
    But anyway, all this talk now appears to be pointless, because the picture that is emerging is that the US army got the wrong people altogether. I'm actually minded to believe US soldiers might have been "shot at" by somebody... but it wasn't the wedding party, and more importantly the wedding party did not shoot any rounds.

Seriously, I don't want to defend the indefensible, but I do like to get a view from more than one "side".

If this story is true then the US really needs to put it's hands up and admit wrongdoing. Can't see that they would, but if they are to do any good there then they need to be much more open than the current regime would like. Especially in election year.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Can't see that they would, but if they are to do any good there then they need to be much more open than the current regime would like. Especially in election year.

No, I seriously doubt that they would admit any wrong-doing.

Especially given that Republican senators are STILL trying to claim that the abuse in Iraq is just all made up by that evil bastard John Kerry.

The Republican Party should be on trial in The Hague, IMHO.
  • Options
    I concur whole heartedly!

But don't forget hardline advisors outside the administration like Richard Perle and (our longtime unindicted war criminal) Kissinger.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    I concur whole heartedly!

But don't forget hardline advisors outside the administration like Richard Perle and (our longtime unindicted war criminal) Kissinger.

And then add the right-wing shock jocks like Rush Limpaugh, a creature who should be thrown from a high building.

America- home of the free!
  • Options
    There are always mistakes and innocent casulties in war. There isn't any getting around it.
  • Options
    Again we agree. Limbaugh deserves to receive the full weight of his own proscriptions regarding drug users (being the addict he is)...
    There's nothing good about drug use. We know it. It destroys individuals. It destroys families. Drug use destroys societies. Drug use, some might say, is destroying this country. And we have laws against selling drugs, pushing drugs, using drugs, importing drugs. And the laws are good because we know what happens to people in societies and neighborhoods, which become consumed by them. And so if people are violating the law by doing drugs, they ought to be accused and they ought to be convicted and they ought to be sent up.

What this says to me is that too many whites are getting away with drug use. Too many whites are getting away with drug sales. Too many whites are getting away with trafficking in this stuff. The answer to this disparity is not to start letting people out of jail because we're not putting others in jail who are breaking the law. The answer is to go out and find the ones who are getting away with it, convict them and send them up the river, too.

...We are becoming too tolerant as a society, folks, especially of crime, in too many parts of the country.... This country certainly appears to be tolerant, forgive and forget. I mean, you know as well as I do, you go out and commit the worst murder in the world and you just say you're sorry, people go, "Oh, OK. A little contrition."... People say, "I feel better. He said he's sorry for it." We're becoming too tolerant, folks.

--Rush Limbaugh TV show (10/5/95)
  • Options
    One thing that puzzles me, if the yanks were flying an Apache, those babies are immune to small arms and automatic weapons, so why the need for an airstrike?