Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

belly peircings..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
...your stories please. any problems, pain etc. im getting my done soon (my mum is makin me wait till im 18 and my birthday is next week) but im a wuss for pain! so any stories are greatly welcome.

also..ive got my ears done and have had for about 9 years but they are too sore now to have anything in, do u think the same may happen with my tummy or not?

Comments

• Options
    Mine didn't hurt at all. It was a bit sore for a day or two afterwards but not painful :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Faith
    Mine didn't hurt at all. It was a bit sore for a day or two afterwards but not painful :)

did it heal quite fast?
  • Options
    I had mine done about 2yrs ago...

There was no pain when having it pierced, all was fine. Until I got it home...

It lasted 8 months before it rejected. During that time I had keloid after keloid, awkward pain and I couldn't wear my pj's because of where the waistband sat.

I'm now left with hypertrophic scarring, that scar removers can't even touch.

Ilora x
  • Options
    I find that a unmolested belly button is far more attractive than one with a chunk of metal hanging from it.

When they weren't that popular then I liked them but now nearly every girl has got it done it doesn't have the same appeal any longer:(

.:Crispy:.
  • Options
    It didn't hurt. There's a mild sensation of something happening, but that's it. It only started hurting later when it was knocked or when I stretched or twisted in such a way that it moved it. And it wasn't that sore really.
    I did go through a period after a couple of weeks where it got a mild infection, and itched a bit. I kept scratching my belly around the piercing, and that made my skin sore after a few days. Took a lot of will power to stop scratching, and careful cleaning, and making sure it wasn't knocked or touched (especially with anything that wasn't clean - hands & clothes).

Occasionally it flares up. Every few months I'll knock it, or without thinking about it touch it, or get it touched with unclean hands, and then it may flare up again. It's been like that for a couple of weeks. A bump on the top, and a bit tender. But not touching it, keeping it clean, and changing to a more comfortable piercing (ring instead of bar in my case) has calmed it right down, and it should be fine in a few more days.

Most jewelry is made of surgical and implant grade stainless steel, or implant grade titanium. Or gold can be used. All are supposed to be inert in the body, and not cause problems like cheap ear rings can cause in your ears. So you shouldn't have too many problems.

Want to read more stories and experiences, then have a look at BMEzine's piercing section.
    However, most people who post there, do so within hours, or days at the most, of having their new piercing, and are a bit overexcitable about it, and don't have much of a long term experience to tell about it.
  • Options
    Mines fine had it done 5 years now, and not a problem *touches wood*

It didnt hurt when I had it done just a bit of a pinch when they clamp it but thats it!! :)
  • Options
    so wat do they actually do when the do it?
  • Options
    i had mine done at a good place it hurt like fuck and took a year to heal
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blah_x2
    i had mine done at a good place it hurt like fuck and took a year to heal

was it worth it in the end?
  • Options
    I never actually planned on getting a navel piercing. I just got bored and went for a walk one day and *poof* a piercing! I had mine done at Selfridges, the guy was really good, and talked me through what was going to happen. They then sent me off for 5 minutes, to have some chocolate just to get my blood sugar levels up a bit (some people have been known to pass out).

I was then taken to the room, and he cleaned my belly and marked out where the needle would go through. I opted not to have any anaesthetic. Then I remember him getting all the equiptment out. My belly was then clamped, and the piercing was done. It didn't really hurt, it stung a bit. He then put the jewel in, and covered it up. Walking back through Oxford Circus trying not to get it knocked was the hardest part!

With the aftercare, I cleaned it with a cotton bud and saline solution (that I use for my contacts) 3 times a day, and I also took zinc and vitamin c. I wore hipsters for most of the time, and tried to sleep on my back. I had mine done about 8 weeks ago, and it has pretty much healed up. Good luck with it!
  • Options
    I had mine done in Salou in Spain in this oh-so dodgy tattoo shop somewhere downtown...we had an appointment for 7, but when we turned up the piercist (this mad french women who barely spoke any english) was shouting alot and waving her tools about in this jar. We got told to go back at 11 that night, which we did.
    It was aweful ! She had to literally hold my arms down by my sides when she put this huge block of ice on my stomach, then-minus a clamp-she did the job.
    It was scary as hell! The actual piercing hurt quite a bit too-alot more than anything else I've ever had done.
    It healed quite quickly 'cause we were on holiday so it got exposed to salt water regularly, and it was fun for a while but I can't really be bothered to wear a bar anymore, but I do every now and again.
    :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by blonde__batman
    did it heal quite fast?

Yep within a week. If you look after it properly and don't forget to use the cleaning stuff they give you then there's no reason why it shouldn't heal quickly!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Faith
    Yep within a week.

within a week? come on...no chance! you must mean it wasnt sore or bruised after a week...? For the record, navels can take anything from 3 months - a year or more to heal. Its because the belly isnt a vascular area and its easier to catch the jewellery on clothes etc, delaying the healing process. Also because the area is covered most of the time, it can get hot and so bacteria is more likely to thrive there than, say, on an earlobe, which is always exposed to fresh air.

anyways...i got my inverse navel done on Saturday and FUCK it hurt! much worse than my tragus! But i survived to tell the tale! My boyfriend was there to hold my hand and i think i nearly broke his! :rolleyes:

Pain is hard to describe, but it just felt hot and stingy. It was so quick though, and once i was out of the shop, i was fine...so the pain didnt last long. It just feels funny when i knock it by mistake. Its not like an ear, and stays out of the way :p sleeping was weird, but its okay now 4 days later :) I bruise really easily, so its a bit purple right now but i like it and im gald i got it done. My boyfriend likes it too :heart: yay!

If you want it done, go for it! You will survive :)
  • Options
    I had mine done about 4 years ago now. I'd like to say it didnt hurt but I think it quite did at the time! But its over with quite quickly, the clamp is the worst I think cos its really tight.

It was quite sore for about a week and a half, I'd just make sure you wear hipster pants and clean it lots! It was weird because after the week and half of it being really sore the pain just stopped straight away. It'll be worth it in the end :)
  • Options
    I got mine done about 3 years ago. Though it hurt like hell when I got mine. I was a bit tense so that may have been the cause but after having the woman telling me to lie down for a few minutes to relax so I didn't faint, I got up and it just felt strange - I loved it :D
    Just wanted to show it off all the time wearing me wee tiny tops, etc. Though I ended up getting mine infected - Well it wouldn't heal properly... I sleep on my stomach which didn't help it and when I went to change the bar with a new one I got, it just seemed to get worse - So I just took it out, cause felt it wasn't worth the hassle as I just got bored with it very quickly -

So just make sure you clean it as often as you can - though not too much, as that can be bad for it as well. Now would be the best time to get it, cause with this weather you'd be wearing light clothes, etc so it will get plenty of air at it. Ooo - and avoid baths as often as you can, coz you're just lying in your own dirt which doesn't help your belly-button trying to heal -

Good Luck hun - :)
  • Options
    I've had mine for 7 or so years now, it didn't hurt at all (and I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to pain) and apart from a little seeping for the first hour it healed overnight. I live in hipsters/ low slung skirts and trousers though so that helped no doubt :)

I had a nightmare when I had my ears pierced, I seemed to be allergic to everything but have 'grown out' of those allergies now. I've only had a problem with my belly bar once after a nasty fall, it got a bump at the top but it cleared up again in a week or 2.

However piercings are different for everyone, some people are lucky and don't flare up, others have a really nasty time of it with them. Always go somewhere reputable, think about it properly before going for it, and make sure you follow the aftercare instructions.

Susie :)
  • Options
    im gettin it done at the same place as all my mates so i know its a good place :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Cruel2BKind
    So just make sure you clean it as often as you can - though not too much, as that can be bad for it as well.

good point! overcleaning is a bad idea! 2-3 times a day is fine, but your piercer will say. And try not to play with it too much :)
  • Options
    im getting it done tommorrow so im sure i shall be back to ask more questions then! thank u all for ur replies :) just one more thing to ask now....roughly how much did it cost you?
  • Options
    mine was £23 something (cos i got discount), but i just gave him £25

i wouldnt go by the price though, go by the quality of the place and piercer :) but you knew that :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by draven

i wouldnt go by the price though, go by the quality of the place and piercer :) but you knew that :)

yep :) but i just wondered how much money i needed to take :)
  • Options
    all done :D
  • Options
    oh dear a bar....
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blah_x2
    oh dear a bar....

:confused: huh?
  • Options
    :confused: huh?
    Some people say rings are best to have when pierced as they can be rotated fully to clean the part that's inside too.
    Others say that the bar is easier to snag on things, and therefore irritate it.
    From what I've read on places like BMEzine, there doesn't seem to be any truly best jewelery to have, as long as you're careful of it, don't handle it with dirty hands, and clean it properly a two or three times a day.
    The subject of bar vs ring for a fresh piercing seems to go on and on.
  • Options
    I had a bar when I got mine done and so did most of my friends and ours were fine :)
  • Options
    i think it's more important that you have good quality jewellery, and that you clean it properly.

after all, there are piercings that you can't have a ring in, and they all heal fine.
  • Options
    all my friends had bars and theirs are fine :) i think i'd get a ring caught more than i will this bar.

ive got all my cleanin stuff and im gonna be really careful to keep it clean so it should be fine
  • Options
    im gonna be really careful to keep it clean so it should be fine
    Hahaha, famous last words! :D Because of where they are, they often get knocked, rubbed, and irritated, so even if you're scrupulous with your cleaning, it can still get infected and get all icky.
  • Options
    all my friends had bars and theirs are fine :) i think i'd get a ring caught more than i will this bar.

ive got all my cleanin stuff and im gonna be really careful to keep it clean so it should be fine

Did it hurt?