Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Throat/ear infection

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I take medication for my arthritis which can have quite nasty side effects, and since the last time they upped the dose of it (about 3 weeks ago), I've developed an infection (the medication can lower white blood cell levels, and therefore immunity, so they've done a blood test just incase). Anyway, I went to my g.p on friday, and she gave me penicillin for my throat (had lovely white lumps and was quite inflamed). I had a bit of a temperature as well. My ears were quite sore as well. The thing is, my throat is now getting better, but my ears are still hurting, and I still feel quite hot and generally a bit ill. How long should it take for the antibiotics to kick in? I don't want to waste my docs time by going back unnecessarily, but at the same time I have exams next week and essays due in, so don't want to be ill! Tates x

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    your ear pain could be the tail end of the infection, so id give it a bit longer until you visit your doctor again. also, the doctor probably told you this, but make sure you complete the whole course of penicillin.